Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Everton want answers about penalty decision

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Going to be super tight. On the face of it people may look at Everton's fixtures and pick out 3 wins, but it's never that easy. If Burnley can find 2 wins from somewhere, fancy that will be enough for them. If Leeds lose tonight, could be squeeky bum time again for them too.

EVERTON
Chelsea H
Leicester A
Watford A
Brentford H
Palace H
Arsenal A

BURNLEY
Watford A
Villa H
Spurs A
Villa A
Newcastle H

I'm struggling to see Everton beating a Chelsea side with no European distractions, nor an in-form Burnley losing at Watford.

The 2 points (plus a better GD) margin would thus remain at least. And it could be 4 or 5.

Everton then play 2 away games. They've only won 1 away all season and that was against us in August. No form there.

Burnley's next game is at home against Villa. That's winnable.

The way the fixtures are stacked, Everton could be 6-8 points adrift before their 2 home games.

Speculation of course and things rarely work out as expected, but it's interesting to see how it might develop.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Perhaps it is because Gordon is a cheat and a diver.

He's an immensely talented lad but has been taught by his coaches and team mates (i.e. Richarlison) to throw himself to the ground. If he has previous in trying to con the ref, then don't be surprised when the ref gives the defender the benefit of the doubt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61213710
My answer would be that Gordon ran into the penalty area and then slowed down and moved to the right before putting his shoulder into the chest of the defender who was running in a straight line. The defender did nothing wrong.

But then, I wouldn't give about two-thirds of the penalties that we get nowadays. The modern idea of "2 players touch, the forward dived" is enough for a penalty is not one I support. If they're going to give penalties for slight contact, it must be for all slight contact, and not just the ones where the forward dives.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Perhaps it is because Gordon is a cheat and a diver.

He's an immensely talented lad but has been taught by his coaches and team mates (i.e. Richarlison) to throw himself to the ground. If he has previous in trying to con the ref, then don't be surprised when the ref gives the defender the benefit of the doubt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61213710

Delete trhe name Richarlison, and replace it with Connolly. Spending half of the game on the ground complaining about alleged fouls seems to be his modus operandi .

Talking about Everton wanting answers about penalty decisions, maybe the Albion should demand answers about offside decisions. The Pascal Gross "winner" being ruled out on Sunday being especially baffling.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Good use of The Beatles ‘I Feel Fine’ in that video!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
One of the worst dives I've seen for a while. Everton are jokers.

Maybe we should demand 'answers' about the Gross offside.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Maybe it's about time we did away with penalties altogether. Just had a free kick from where the offence in the area took place instead?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's not about this at all.

Lampard thinks he's cute by creating a circle the wagons mentality at the club for these last games, particularly as they have the most bitter supporters (they really, really despise most players, most former managers, plus Kenwright and Moshiri).

Ensuring that he's not hated or blamed come what may. Unlike Rafa, Silva, Allardyce, Martinez and Koeman.

You can read Fat Frank like a book.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Would Kane have got the decision? Think we know the answer.

Either way they lost hahaha

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can see and understand all the arguments as to why the referee didn’t give a penalty on the field.

What I don’t understand is why VAR didn’t/couldn’t/wouldn’t see what should have been a definite penalty

Because it wasn't a "definite" penalty. Yes there was contact, but largely created by the fop-haired little turf magnet. Contact and going to ground does NOT = penalty.

It was not a clear and obvious error for the referee not to award it, so the onfield decision stands. VAR quite right not to get involved. Thats exactly how VAR is supposed to work.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Five years ago it's not a penalty. Now it is.

The concept of if there is contact it is a penalty is used to justify so many penalties now that I don't think should be that I really don't see this is any different. If that is Salah or Mane down the other end he is absolutely giving it.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Boy who cried wolf.

Exactly. That one may or may not have been a pen, but so many times previously I’ve watched him play & he just can’t wait to throw himself to the floor. As soon as he’s in the penalty box you see his eyes light up at the thought of it. It’s Zaha levels.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Five years ago it's not a penalty. Now it is.

The concept of if there is contact it is a penalty is used to justify so many penalties now that I don't think should be that I really don't see this is any different. If that is Salah or Mane down the other end he is absolutely giving it.

Only by pundits/commentators and they, by and large,have a shockingly poor knowledge of the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here