Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Everton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Omg yes there was but 1) VAR never claimed there wasn't any and 2) the contact was CLEARLY not a foul. So the hugh bar was achieved.
With regards to 1), based on the real-time commentary - they were listening to VAR - I suspect he was called to the monitor for the wrong reason (no contact), but they got off the hook with the angle that showed his foot slipping on Dunk's leg. Anyway, we won. They didn't ref it as they said they would but hey ho.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
With regards to 1), based on the real-time commentary - they were listening to VAR - I suspect he was called to the monitor for the wrong reason (no contact), but they got off the hook with the angle that showed his foot slipping on Dunk's leg. Anyway, we won. They didn't ref it as they said they would but hey ho.
The commentators also referred to Mitoma as Sarmiento on at least one occasion....
It was more likely that he was called over for something to do with contact...maybe we want you to review the contact or if the contact was as you thought...and the commentators incorrectly interpreted it.

SkirlieWirlie

Jan 6, 2024
My view, like Sky on the match this evening, is that PGMOL made a very big deal indeed of not micro-analysing decisions on the basis of replays. I can't stand Simon Hooper but it was entirely understandable that, with one look, he felt there was enough contact to award a penalty. Part of improving the implementation of VAR is accepting that some on-field calls will be contentious. Or we can just continue down the rabbit hole of VAR interrupting matches here far more than it does in Europe/international competitions and spoiling the game. Got to take the rough with the smooth.

Fair enough. Although in that case, I would advocate getting rid altogether as don't see the point.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
A lovely day out from the west country,.. early game with a couple of Red former colleagues in the Excelsior... dash up by taxi to Goodison,... hairy first 15 mins... coasted after that,.. decent couple of extra pints in pub by Lime St after the game, chat to many other Albion... now enroute to New St for a change to Bristol,... should be back on the Somerset levels by 11pm ISH....

SkirlieWirlie

Jan 6, 2024
The thing I liked was our physicality, Everton under Dyche attempt to bully teams (makes up for a lack of skill and can be effective) but we went toe to toe with them. That was great, the team fighting for one another. Really good sign.

Yep, one of the highlights for me. The boys were really up for it. Could see it as the goals went in and at the end. The change of manager seems to have had a massively positive effect on the energy and desire of the team. Always a risk but at this point looking positive.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
"It is a very good feeling, but I don't want to talk about myself so much," said Hurzeler to the BBC. "The players, club and staff deserve this win. They worked quite hard in pre-season and I am very proud and happy for them."

"It was a good result. It was a tough game, especially the first minutes. It was really intense and a loud atmosphere and we suffered in some moments, but we defended quite good. After that we tried to control the game and we had very good chances.

"We went 1-0 up and then it was helpful for us to control the game and have ball possession. In the end, a clean sheet is so important to win games in the Premier League and everyone was responsible today in defending their own box.

"It showed the attitude and character of the players so I am very happy for them. It was a good start, nothing more, and now we try to keep working to stay humble after a win like this."

The Ginger Dalek said: "The way we performed in the first half was decent and as good as I was hoping for, but one of the biggest challenges is finding the clinical moments which we didn't do.

"A big decision on the penalty - I can't really work it out. We go to these meetings, we have literally been told the bar is going to be incredibly high for the referee to make a decision; he makes a clear decision from a perfect viewing point and lo and behold he is called over to overturn the decision.

"You are like, what is the point having a high bar then? We are all confused by it."
Dyche head! Since when was having your leg stood on a penalty?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
To save going through all thread I see Dunk went off early. Was his injury serious ?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
NEWSFLASH: It has come to my attention that Fabian Hurzeler is only 31 years old
Every single game, multiple times… it’s going to get old. It’s like Mitoma and his degree, Withdean, the Cup Final/Smith must score every time we play Manchester United…

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
"It is a very good feeling, but I don't want to talk about myself so much," said Hurzeler to the BBC. "The players, club and staff deserve this win. They worked quite hard in pre-season and I am very proud and happy for them."

"It was a good result. It was a tough game, especially the first minutes. It was really intense and a loud atmosphere and we suffered in some moments, but we defended quite good. After that we tried to control the game and we had very good chances.

"We went 1-0 up and then it was helpful for us to control the game and have ball possession. In the end, a clean sheet is so important to win games in the Premier League and everyone was responsible today in defending their own box.

"It showed the attitude and character of the players so I am very happy for them. It was a good start, nothing more, and now we try to keep working to stay humble after a win like this."

The Ginger Dalek said: "The way we performed in the first half was decent and as good as I was hoping for, but one of the biggest challenges is finding the clinical moments which we didn't do.

"A big decision on the penalty - I can't really work it out. We go to these meetings, we have literally been told the bar is going to be incredibly high for the referee to make a decision; he makes a clear decision from a perfect viewing point and lo and behold he is called over to overturn the decision.

"You are like, what is the point having a high bar then? We are all confused by it."
I am positive he was not told that the VAR bar will be "incredibly high". For all his whining he didn't actually say it was a penalty, did he? His argument is simply that the ref gave it so it must be.

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
Great, hard fought win today. I thought we looked really dangerous going forward once again… long may that continue.
Not so confident on the defensive side though. Looking forward to Barco being fit again and hopefully a new right back to welcome too. Everton’s only threat was down the wings.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Great, hard fought win today. I thought we looked really dangerous going forward once again… long may that continue.
Not so confident on the defensive side though. Looking forward to Barco being fit again and hopefully a new right back to welcome too. Everton’s only threat was down the wings.
Their hew number 42 looked dangerous....

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Except VAR apparently overturned it on the basis that there was no contact, which was wrong.

This is what Howard Webb said this week, which sounded like a step forward, "“What we can do is is really focus on what VAR was always meant for. It was meant for those clear situations that would live large in the memory. It wasn’t meant to re-referee the game on small touches and little contacts and all those things that have created debate and discussion – leave those on the field."

I don't think that situation counted as a mistake that would live large in the memory. There was contact, the ref saw it differently at the time, 'referee's call' wouldn't have been unreasonable.

Anyway, don't give two hoots overall so can't be bothered to argue about it. Was simply pointing out that PGMOL's comments have prompted a few pundits to react the way they have to decisions this weekend.
There was no contact by Dunk on the diver. He did not make any contact with DCL's leg. DCL stood on him. Good call by VAR and good decision by Hooper after review. Maybe there is a future for VAR after all?

Did we miss Pascal today? Not sure we did :shrug:
It’s an easy thing to say with 3-0 on the board tho hey we didn’t miss Mac Allister or Caicedo either but having watched our attempts to pass the ball in the first half I’m gonna say we did miss Pascal a little bit. It’s a good result but performance a few things to work on before we can say we are better than our next opponent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here