Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Everton: another one bites the dust...

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Spurs' hasn't fallen on its arse though, has it?

You're right Tottenham, its hasn't. The proposed new Spurs stadium looks bloomin impressive but one of the images made me chuckle. It's a view from outside the stadium - showing one of the main roads with one bus and a couple of cars (I think - can't be arsed to look again). Have these people ever been to London? :laugh:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But I don't understand. We've got so many people here on NSC who think getting planning permission for a stadium is a doddle and that Martin Perry should have done this in a blink of an eyelid.
It took ten years to get permission granted for a 22,000 seat stadium. The Everton one has been on the drawing boards for what, 2 or 3 years? And is meant to hold 60,000 and had a new Tescos planned as part of it.

Hardly the same thing is it.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...It's a view from outside the stadium - showing one of the main roads with one bus and a couple of cars (I think - can't be arsed to look again). Have these people ever been to London? :laugh:

or inparticular Spurs on matchday :nono: i think the traffic will be the achilles for this stadium.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Anyone else find Everton's self imposed moniker of "the people's club" just a tad pretentious?

I was thinking a similar thing edna. Maybe they should've put a caring spin on the statement by sticking "every little helps" at the bottom? The locals are bound to appreciate the marvelous new retail opportunity the People's Club bring to them: not to mention the oh-so-cheeky humourous angle. They've all born with the Comedy Gene up there, don't forget.. :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Liverpool is also bidding for a 2012 world cup host city, but that bid is assuming there will be two new stadia by then. Now it looks like there will be none, as Anfield is also hopelessly stalled

Liverpool is NOT a 2012 Football venue.

Manchester [OT]
London [Wembley]
Newcastle [St.JP]
'The midlands' [as yet to be decided].

These are FACT, as confirmed to me in oerson at LOCOG yesterday.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyone else find Everton's self imposed moniker of "the people's club" just a tad pretentious?
I'm not sure that it's pretentious. It's in reaction to all those charter flights from Oslo that fill up Anfield I think.

However, whilst it reads "the people's club", I personally see it as "Liverpool's crappier, slightly bitter club"

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Funny you catz should mention the 2018 World Cup stadiums wotsit. I heard Ince going on about sodding 'Stadium MK' & how he wanted it to be part of the big Soccerball Jamboree (Radio 5live). His 'pitch' was then supported by caller Dan from Brighton - who said he'd been up there last season "to see The Albion". When asked who we had at home on Saturday, he said he didn't know & that he "probably wasn't going". Oh dear.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
David Moyes invented it apparently

THE PEOPLE'S CLUB – News Archive – News – evertonfc.com – The Official Website of Everton Football Club

It is approaching six years since David Moyes coined the phrase, 'The People's Club'.

When Moyes was appointed Everton manager in March 2002, his description of his new club captured plenty of attention.

And, as the Everton manager explained, the phrase is just as applicable now as it was when first spoken.

Moyes said in the foreword to a new book named after the mantra: “I must hear that phrase 20 times every day, and it still rings true now as much as it did when I first uttered it in March 2002."

“But I honestly had no idea quite how much people would relate to it.

“It has been suggested to me since that I was put up to using the words ‘People’s Club’ at my introductory press conference – that some kind of Everton spin doctor suggested it might be a good idea to get the fans onside right from the off.

“Nothing could be further from the truth. I never had a conversation with anybody beforehand."

Article continues below

Indeed, the Scot went on to explain in more detail why he felt compelled to describe Everton as 'The People's Club'.

“What prompted it were my experiences after I knew I had got the job and was preparing to travel to Goodison Park for the press conference," he said.

“While I was leaving Preston I kept bumping into people who told me they were Evertonians and wishing me good luck.

“Everybody I spoke to seemed to be a Blue – and this was in Preston!

“Then when I drove into Merseyside everywhere I looked people seemed to be wearing Everton shirts.

“It just seemed a natural thing to say... that Everton seemed to be the People’s Club of Merseyside.

“It wasn’t a rehearsed comment. It was just something which came to mind at the time and I didn’t attach any significance to it even after I’d said it.

“It was only the next day when I saw all the newspaper headlines that I realised it had struck a chord!"

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I think the goverment are right to reject plans for 2 new stadiums, both clubs have financial difficulties and the amount of resources to build them both is ridiculous. A ground share is the obvious option and I think the only acceptable option for Liverpool as a city.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Scousers are dickheads.
Two clubs with 40k stadiums within half a mile of each other, both with a similar fanbase in the city, both wanting a new stadium. They should pool their resources and get one huge magnificent stadium to SHARE, in the middle of Stanley Park. Its a no brainer, and they'd also be a shoe-in as a venue for the 2018 World Cup (if we get it).

But no, its all "Eeeehhhh, gerroff. I'm not sharing with that lot, like"

:facepalm:

Those two boardrooms need to take the bull by the horns, get together to plan it, and just TELL them its happening, so live with it.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
It was supposed to look like this if it happened

AA3414E3-E2C4-D9A3-A32A24D41EFE5E97.jpg

thats is horrible!

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
theres a ground in germany where the colours of the stadium change depending which team are playing - anyone know of it?
I can't see any logical arguments for not sharing - they can't both play homegames at the same time anyway because of policing so it won't affect fixtures, it will just pretty much half all of the costs...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Apart from the loss of status caused by having to ground-share there's also the possibility that with increased capacity Everton could get their act together and do Liverpool out of a Champions League spot.

Economically it makes sense but then look at Dundee - 2 clubs with grounds IN THE SAME STREET that don't groundshare and both stadiums are shabby, esp Dens.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
theres a ground in germany where the colours of the stadium change depending which team are playing - anyone know of it?

Its the Allianz Arena, shared by Bayern Munich and some other mob that play in blue.
The stadium glows red for Bayern, blue for the other lot, and white for Internationals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here