Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ever Seen Us Play Better?

Stumpy Tim

I've pondered this since Saturday and - for me - it felt like that '91 Play Off Semi Final 1st leg against Millwall

In both games there were spells where we just looked like scoring on every attack and that we could sense 'blood in the water' and could just open up the opposition at will. Didn't we score 3 times in about 10mins against Millwall in that game?

Given how long ago that Millwall game was - I've likely seen my last display like that now (!) but, crikey, that performance on Saturday will live long in my memory...

From memory, Millwall started better than us & were much better than in the first half until we equalised rather fortunately. Battered them in the second though

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I've pondered this since Saturday and - for me - it felt like that '91 Play Off Semi Final 1st leg against Millwall

In both games there were spells where we just looked like scoring on every attack and that we could sense 'blood in the water' and could just open up the opposition at will. Didn't we score 3 times in about 10mins against Millwall in that game?

Given how long ago that Millwall game was - I've likely seen my last display like that now (!) but, crikey, that performance on Saturday will live long in my memory...

I had that one in mind as well. It was the 3 goals in 11 minutes that made it feel similar. Every time we got the ball in that period, it felt like we were going to score.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I had that one in mind as well. It was the 3 goals in 11 minutes that made it feel similar. Every time we got the ball in that period, it felt like we were going to score.

What a game! Mickey Small was a collusus and everything went through him.

As great as that Millwall game was, Saturday was a whole different level.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It was a comprehensive demolition the likes of which I can't remember ever seeing before and will probably never see again. When did any of us come away from beating a top-class (on paper) side by four goals thinking it could easily have been six or seven? Truly surreal. Even Ronaldo was laughing at the absurdity of it all :lolol:

Last edited:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013

Was that really 31 years ago??? I feel (am) so old...!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I said to my son at half-time "It's not often you see Brighton play a half like that. Even if we lose this game 1-4, you need to remember what you've just witnessed, because that was special". Little did I know we were going to come out and absolutely BATTER them for the next 45.

So no, I have never seen a better performance from us. The Peterbrough game and the first 30 mins of the play-off home game to Sheff Weds are probably the closest, but they were at a lower level.

Exactly this – I had pretty much the same thoughts. At half time, I sent a message to a mate – also in the ground – saying I thought it was the best half I'd seen. Little did I know it would be COMPLETELY surpassed by the second half.

I seem to recall we were 4-0 up against Leeds a few seasons back at half time (or maybe scored just after the break?) but that didn't feel as dominant as Saturday. Maybe because it was the Championship and we were used to winning? Whereas this result – especially at home – came out of the blue.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Exactly this – I had pretty much the same thoughts. At half time, I sent a message to a mate – also in the ground – saying I thought it was the best half I'd seen. Little did I know it would be COMPLETELY surpassed by the second half.

I seem to recall we were 4-0 up against Leeds a few seasons back at half time (or maybe scored just after the break?) but that didn't feel as dominant as Saturday. Maybe because it was the Championship and we were used to winning? Whereas this result – especially at home – came out of the blue.

Yep 4-0 at the break - and I still had a part of me that was worried we wouldn't win!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The last time I saw us so comprehensively better than the opposition (in a league match) was the "We're ****in brilliant" game at Peterboro.

That was at L1 level though!

Considering the level, this is almost certainly the best 90 minutes that any Albion side has ever played.

I went to that one.

For me, after 53 years of live Albion, Saturday was the best. No shitehousery or cards. Absolutely 'the Brighton way' at its very best. Complete absence of gung-ho pluckiness. Relentless class all over the pitch and on the bench.

Sure, there have been great displays in the past, but getting to mid table in the top flight, then playing like that, no, we have never performed better.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Our best ever team and squad playing our best and highest quality football ever at our highest ever level.

I guess that'll be a yes from me then :thumbsup:

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
We destroyed Blackpool in a 6-1 orgy of tippy tappy football and we scored a goal for them too. 2013?
That was right up there. I was wearing the "lucky" green 2012/13 away socks bought after that match on Saturday!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
55 years man and boy and I can’t think of a better all round performance.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Norwich game for me. The way we passed at the back: crisp precision cross field passes and on the money set ups for Sanchez to clear into touch; Maupay giving the Norwich fans catching practice for the pen; North Stand fans standing in terror as shots came their way. It will always live in my memory.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Great thread with lots of fantastic memories! I cannot think we have played better, against such a top opponent for such a large majority of the game - whatever their ailments, they are sitting comfortably above us in the top division!
I remember 7-0 win vs. Charlton (early 80's, Jimmy Case Hat-trick) when we were 5-0 up at half-time. It was genuinely ridiculous, and "tailed off" in the 2nd-half with only 2 more goals.. Jimmy Melia's quote : "we could have beaten Brazil today!".. Beating Norwich 5-0 in the Championship more recently was a dominant display against a relatively good opponent, but they made some horrible errors that gifted us goals.
So for me, with those two great memories added for the collection, Saturday was special. Very Special. Quality of performance and goals.. no set pieces, no penalties, no problem!!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The Norwich stuffing in our promotion season was probably the last time we've completely demolished a team but they didn't have the most prolific goal scorer of all time and a cast of unbelievably decorated internationals.

That was the best Brighton performance I've ever seen in my 23 years of watching the club.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
You obviously weren't there for the 10 - 1 defeat of Wisbech. ( Which was just a warm up for the 9- 0 defeat of Southend in the league a couple of weeks later ).

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

I was there for both but taking into account the opposition, I think last Saturday was the best.
The move where Ali Mac hit the post after a backheel from Welbeck was superb.
Brilliant interplay all over the pitch.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Every individual player's performance was nigh-on perfect and the team tactics and performance was faultless. Best ever in my 45 years (whether at the match or on tele).

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I have - the previous Saturday at Wolves. Wolves don’t lose 3 zip at home never mind being completely outplayed in every way. That game also could/should have been more than 3.
Strangely both Wolves and Utd were shit…..
Everything is suddenly clicking, just a shame there aren’t 5 games left instead of 2, we’d be troubling the euro spots.

For me the difference is the energy in midfield and the fact that AT LAST we are seeing Potter’s team with a quality no 9. Welbeck has been outstanding and IMO is now finally fully match fit for the first time since he’s been here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here