Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ever had LUNCH in The Prodigal ??

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
£8,000 fine for pub over poor food hygiene

A pub has been fined £8,000 for failing to meet food hygiene standards.

The Prodigal, in East Street, Brighton, had a surprise visit from a city council environmental health officer who found the floor behind kitchen equipment had not been cleaned and was contaminated with food debris. Maintenance work in the kitchen had not been carried out, ventilation was poor and food management systems had not been followed. The pub had already received a warning from health inspectors.

Len Batten, prosecuting for the city council, told Brighton and Hove Magistrates Court that conditions on the second visit had not improved.
continued...

The company pleaded guilty to four charges of failing to comply with food hygiene regulations and was ordered to pay £815 costs in addition to the £8,000 fine.

A representative for the pub said the Barracuda Pub Company Limited, owners of The Prodigal, were sorry for the state of affairs at the premises and disciplinary action had been taken against certain members of staff.

The pub is now closed for a refit, which will include a larger kitchen.

Staff would also be attending appropriate training sessions, the court heard.

A spokeswoman for Barracuda pubs said the bar would re-open as a Varsity pub under a re-branding exercise that had been planned for a long time.

She said they were unable to confirm whether the management team at the pub would be the same team that had worked at the Prodigal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I reckon pretty much every restaurant down Preston Street has some horrors hiding behind the "STAFF ONLY" door.
I had the misfortune to use the staff toilet in Cheeky Chicken once (it was an emergency). Down a flight of filthy stairs to an absolutely revolting khazi that looked like something out of Trainspotting.

Their filletburgers are still ACE though. :thumbsup:

Don't the Prodigal also run the George? :(

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Wasn't that the Heart and Hand?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:

LI....the George is a poor mans Albert!

that is THE pub of that street.

I mean, several years back The George was good,but then it "sold out".

The Albert still is quite indepedent.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
the george... tee hee...

The George here is a bright purple pub with a rainbow flag hanging out of every window. That doesn't like admitting women. :lolol: :lolol:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I wish the Brighton George was like that, might stop people I know going there

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
desprateseagull said:
isnt that illegal, nowadays? bad business sense too, turning punters away..unless they have some other trade going on..?!:ohmy:

Oh, they'll let them in, they just try to convince them they wouldn't like it.

Thing is, most girls who go there love it. Lots of guys to ogle who aren't going to try and pull them at the end of the night :jester:

Jul 20, 2003
London Irish said:

Yep, and the Providence in Western Road which despite being a f***ing grim souless boozer does a half decent Curry and pint for £5.95 on Tuesdays

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
pevenseagull said:
Yep, and the Providence in Western Road which despite being a f***ing grim souless boozer does a half decent Curry and pint for £5.95 on Tuesdays

That pub is an unholy wasteland of cuntishness.

Jul 20, 2003
Les Biehn said:
That pub is an unholy wasteland of cuntishness.

it's great for 'bunching' scum and keeping them out of the dazzling array of fine drinking establishments that poulate the Brunswick area (not the Brunswick of course, that's also a shit hole)

for your consideration

The Conqueror
The Farm
The Juggler (where I am currently sat having a happy hour 1664 for £2.05 watching Mushy and Imran on the TV)
The Bedford
The Coopers Cask
The Atlas Lounge (excellent food - very languid service)
The Montpellier - great for watching football
The Robin Hood
KOBA

I feel some serious pub saving coming on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here