Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That was very odd. Bellingham is a little over a year older than Ferguson and currently the main man at Real Madrid, having already had a stint at one of the the biggest clubs in Europe. If Evan wants to follow that path, he's already running late.
It wasn't a direct comparison in terms of their current development or ability - it was just that he should pick clubs where he is going to play/get game time. She was implicitly praising how Ferguson had chosen Albion above Liverpool on that basis.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It wasn't a direct comparison in terms of their current development or ability - it was just that he should pick clubs where he is going to play/get game time. She was implicitly praising how Ferguson had chosen Albion above Liverpool on that basis.

I guess. If she'd said something like , "look at Bellingham. He didn't go straight to Madrid but used Dortmund as a stepping stone, knowing he'd get game time there," it would have made some sense. Or, even better, "staying at Brighton, where he's going to keep learning and developing, is the best thing for him right now".

What she actually said was:

"In terms of a young player he should probably model on Bellingham's journey, you know playing, making sure you play wherever you go, wherever it is, I would say if you're gonna model as a young player, that was the route I would say, Jude Bellingham, 'cos look at him now"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He arrived in the same car as Connolly, too. Much as there are plenty of influences from those two, I'd rather Evan didn't pick up, I'm sure they are all good mates.
I get the impression that Connolly has knuckled down under Liam Rosenior, so could be influenced for the good by Ferguson?
Maybe I'm an optimist.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Buzzing for Match of the Day, get to watch the game again. I just hope they don't wax lyrical about Ferguson, we need them to be hush-hush, he's too good.
I know our recruitment system is on a whole different level, but I'm fairly sure that the scouting of every other professional club in the world goes a little bit further than watching MOTD and the players that the pundits choose to focus on.

Apart from Chelsea.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
I liked the comparison. She was echoing Rednapps point about only leaving when he’s ready. Bellingham didn’t just leave Dortmund after one successful season like Cucu & Calciedo. He stayed there until he was the main man and the fully developed player he is now. That sound incredible given his age but that’s the level he can get to and why there are comparisons to Fergusons career right now. She was implying Ferguson should stay with us for a few seasons until he’s fully/more developed because his potential is that high.

As a side note, I really hope this is the case going forwards. Bloom is already setting a good president for this by gain a reputation for sticking to high asking prices. Qualifying for Europe a second time will go a long way too - it lessens the gap between us and bigger clubs
We won’t ever be able to compete financially with the bigger clubs so the aim for us must be to convince our best talent that sticking around for 2-3 seasons minimum while *maybe* winning something like an FA Cup or Europa League, along with aiding their development in a less-pressured/toxic environment is the way to go over a more immediate payday.

We’re not there yet but someone of Ferguson’s ilk may help go some way towards changing public perception.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We won’t ever be able to compete financially with the bigger clubs so the aim for us must be to convince our best talent that sticking around for 2-3 seasons minimum while *maybe* winning something like an FA Cup or Europa League, along with aiding their development in a less-pressured/toxic environment is the way to go over a more immediate payday.
I would say paying Ansu £160k a week is competitive. The more revenue incoming the more you can compete. Barber said recently we want to get to the point where we don’t have to sell our best players, we just aren’t there yet.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
I would say paying Ansu £160k a week is competitive. The more revenue incoming the more you can compete. Barber said recently we want to get to the point where we don’t have to sell our best players, we just aren’t there yet.
Ansu isn’t on a 4/5 year contract though - feels like more of a one-off calculated gamble as we know it’s just for a season. The increase in the commercial income/sponsorships would have to be really quite dramatic for us to start paying those sorts of wages to permanent assets, and for it to be sustainable, I would imagine. The new Monster partnership would need to be the tip of the iceberg.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm fairly certain that BHAFC are NOT paying Ansu Fati £160k/week - there's just too much risk of upsetting the culture / wage structure within the club.

When the reports state that we are 'covering 80% of his salary' I'd expect that the transaction that will actually take place is that we are paying Barcelona a fee for the loan, equivalent to those salary costs (which they then use to pay him).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm fairly certain that BHAFC are NOT paying Ansu Fati £160k/week - there's just too much risk of upsetting the culture / wage structure within the club.

When the reports state that we are 'covering 80% of his salary' I'd expect that the transaction that will actually take place is that we are paying Barcelona a fee for the loan, equivalent to those salary costs (which they then use to pay him).
This. Doubt we’re paying him anything directly at all.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
£500m. No offers.

Chelsea Todd would probably still go for it :lol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Reports that he's withdrawn from the Ireland squad due to an injury picked up in the Newcastle game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Reports that he's withdrawn from the Ireland squad due to an injury picked up in the Newcastle game.
That would be really disappointing for him (and for Ireland) if true. He definitely was troubled by something towards the end of that game - looking over to the bench a couple of times, pointing at his leg.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That would be really disappointing for him (and for Ireland) if true. He definitely was troubled by something towards the end of that game - looking over to the bench a couple of times, pointing at his leg.
Yeah, I now remember him being hunched over towards the end of the game and I thought it was just because he'd put in a hell of a shift.

I don't know anything more than what I've read in this thread this morning – and naturally hope the injury is not too bad – but I would imagine that it's a bit of a reminder to people why we need to manage his time on the pitch over the coming months. As much as RDZ would like him to have the opportunity to score a hattrick every game, a long-term injured Big Fergie is no good to anyone...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here