Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
This is the danger for me. Has his size/strength enabled him to dominate younger age groups? This advantage will reduce as he progresses and plays against bigger and stronger players. Having said that, I hope he goes on to become our all time leading goal scorer!!

Obviously he's had a size and strength advantage as hes gone up the age groups as he's been big for his age. But he's 6ft+ and looks pretty well built, it looks like he could still have some advantages as he progresses in the men's game. Hopefully the coaching staff will be able to teach him how to use that on the pitch in the PL. He certainly hasn't look like it would be a problem in the limited game time he's had in the first team so far.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Good piece about him in The Athletic today too.

Sounds like Welbz has become a bit of a role model for him.

“Especially in the shooting after training,” Ferguson says. “Everything he (Welbeck) does he just tries to make sure that it’s the best that he can deliver.”

Ferguson exhales through his lips to emphasise the point. “Some of the things you see he does, he’s so sharp. Wow!

“When you see him do that and you go afterwards and do something and you hear him give a little ‘Well done’, you feel so good.”

Also, interesting to hear he tried down Liverpool to join us.

https://youtu.be/I4B0wb8B0bo

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wonder what the plan is for him. A loan perhaps, but he still young enough to get something out of sticking around and playing with (mainly) the U23s for another 6-12 months.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Wonder what the plan is for him. A loan perhaps, but he still young enough to get something out of sticking around and playing with (mainly) the U23s for another 6-12 months.

There's a bit in the Athletic article which says with the changes to number of substitutions that he could well find himself in and around the first team quite a bit.

Would imagine a loan in reality though.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There will be some of the youngsters who will benefit from the 5 subs rule this season. It could be Ferguson, but given we've currently got Welbeck, Undav, Enciso, Maupay, Andone, Sima, Zeqiri and Connolly in the mix for the striker position(s) he may end up out on loan.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

A tricky decision to make. He has played plenty of minutes for U18's & U23's but also been involved in match day squads almost all of 2022. A loan to somewhere like Peterborough who seem to score for fun in League one could be hugely beneficial

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

He will be one of the players that could benefit from the 5 subs. He was in the PL match day squad for 17 games last season but only got on once. You've got to think he'd have had a lot more mins on the pitch had Potter had the chance to make two extra subs.

It's a bit of a balancing act. Getting him more involved in first team reduces the amount he can play for the U23s but his mins will still be limited in the PL this season you would have thought, so you'd still want him getting game time in the U23's to keep him sharp.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

He's actually very young for a loan! Time is on his side - he could spend a season with us, playing for the U23s, with a bit of bench-warming and a few minutes here and there for the first team, and still go out on loan as an 18 year old next season.
On the other hand, he might be one of those rare prodigies - like Rooney, Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler for example - who can play as a teenager in the PL and make a genuine - and sustained - impact. Big pre-season for him, I reckon.

There will be some of the youngsters who will benefit from the 5 subs rule this season. It could be Ferguson, but given we've currently got Welbeck, Undav, Enciso, Maupay, Andone, Sima, Zeqiri and Connolly in the mix for the striker position(s) he may end up out on loan.
You can almost certainly take Andone, Connolly and Zequiri out of that equation, I think.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think so much will depend on which of our existing personnel we retain. If accept an offer for Maupay or Trossard I think he'll be kept around for an option from the bench. If not, I think he'll go out on loan to league 1 or league 2

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He's actually very young for a loan! Time is on jis side - he could spend a season with us, playing for the U23s, with a bit of bench-warming and a few minutes here and there for the first team, and still go out on loan as an 18 year old next season.
On the other hand, he might be one of those rare prodigies - like Rooney, Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler for example - who can play as a teenager in the PL and make a genuine - and sustained - impact. Big pre-season for him, I reckon.

You can almost certainly take Andone, Connolly and Zequiri out of that equation, I think.

Lots of options - I trust the Albion and Evan to pick the correct path for him.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

I would suggest all of those highlighted are behind Ferguson now in the pecking order, some if not all of those four are probably surplus to requirement now.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would suggest all of those highlighted are behind Ferguson now in the pecking order, some if not all of those four are probably surplus to requirement now.

Tend to agree - except about Sima. The truth is, we just don't know how good (or not) he is - he went to Stoke, played very few minutes, got injured and hasn't kicked a football in ernest since then. He might be brilliant!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the Albion think he is the real deal then keep him here for 22/23, especially as with 5 subs he is more likely to get opportunities to play. He'll be learning from Welbeck and it doesn't come much better than that.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Tend to agree - except about Sima. The truth is, we just don't know how good (or not) he is - he went to Stoke, played very few minutes, got injured and hasn't kicked a football in ernest since then. He might be brilliant!

This

Far too early to write him off. Both Manchester clubs were after him at one point. Hasn't kicked a ball in an Albion shirt!!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Has he featured in any of the pre season games so far ?

*** edit just seen he came on as a 60th minute sub against Estoril

Albion line-up: Sanchez (Scherpen 45), Cucurella (Clarke 60), Dunk (Duffy 60), Maupay (Ferguson 60), Mac Allister (Alzate 45), Trossard (Mitoma 45), Gross (Sarmiento 60), Welbeck (Undav 60), March (Enciso 60), Caicedo (Lallana 45), Veltman (Van Hecke 60).

Last edited:

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020

Seems a nice down to earth lad who's always looking to improve.

Wonder if we'll see more of him this year or he'll be out on loan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here