Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Unfortunately a safe position, as you put it, may not be the determining factor, it’s the final league placing that counts. The pot of gold, say ending in 12th rather 13th spot, could be worth north of £1million. Unless the club are very confident about a developing player the chances are that his involvement would be in a cup tie or as a late substitution in a match that’s done and dusted.

It’s 2m extra for every position higher in the table. Like you say, it’s significant and the result could make a difference of 4-6m given how congested it sometimes gets in mid table.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think the club view every player individually to try and marry their progress to their needs. If you were to look at Rooney he was a starter for Everton at 17,indeed scoring on his debut against Man Utd so that's only 12 months older than Evan. Is he good enough to do that? we, as fans, have absolutely no idea, but the club will have. Exciting times.:clap2:

Wasn't Rooney's league debut against Arsenal as a 16-year-old? I remember him shrugging off Sol Campbell and curling one into the top corner. Am I misremembering?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Wasn't Rooney's league debut against Arsenal as a 16-year-old? I remember him shrugging off Sol Campbell and curling one into the top corner. Am I misremembering?

The Arsenal game saw the first PL goal Rooney scored, 5 days before his 17th birthday, making him the youngest ever PL scorer at the time. His first PL appearance was a couple of months earlier in August 2002 against Spurs.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Always need to be careful when looking at youngsters as some rely on physical strength which allows them to dominate in games but he does seem to have confidence and composure as well and he is playing with lads who are 4 or 5 years older. Personally think he should play against Swansea for some part of the game just so he sees what is on offer.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
He looks vg but also on last night's performance so does Leonard, Moran, Tolaj and Sarmiento. I think the physicality of Tolaj may be a better alternative for the Swansea Cup match. His new 'Duncan Goodhew with attitude' look would frighten Grant Mitchell!

TNBA

TTF

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
He looks vg but also on last night's performance so does Leonard, Moran, Tolaj and Sarmiento. I think the physicality of Tolaj may be a better alternative for the Swansea Cup match. His new 'Duncan Goodhew with attitude' look would frighten Grant Mitchell!

TNBA

TTF

Duncan Goodhew, that's who I thought Tolaj looked like but couldn't remember his name. Thanks.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Thought Tolaj looked decent. Both him and Ferguson look like they could handle the physical nature of first team football.

Where's the best place to see appearance/goals/assists stats for u23 players? If anywhere...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Thought Tolaj looked decent. Both him and Ferguson look like they could handle the physical nature of first team football.

Where's the best place to see appearance/goals/assists stats for u23 players? If anywhere...

transfermarkt has separate stats for the U23s. Link below takes you directly to the main page for our PL2 squad.

Brighton U23's

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Unfortunately a safe position, as you put it, may not be the determining factor, it’s the final league placing that counts. The pot of gold, say ending in 12th rather 13th spot, could be worth north of £1million. Unless the club are very confident about a developing player the chances are that his involvement would be in a cup tie or as a late substitution in a match that’s done and dusted.

I do sort of agree with you. I do feel Mr.Potter is happy to blood and back a good enough youngster and someone that the opposition will not know too much about. It will be interesting to see him develop from a boy to a man, whether he gets a go or not this season. Of course, it also depends on if the other lads are finding the back of the net too.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
On his 17th birthday, 19th October.

But he will already have signed a precontract which means a tribunal would currently calculate his value should he leave before then.

Cheers for that, same birthday as me.:)
His value will be a lot more when he is 18, if he carries on as he is at the moment

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Came on for Rep of Ireland U21 in 64th min. Set up their third goal for Wright in the 67 min.

Yea - he looked good again - progressing very well - and Jim Crawford knows how to develop players.

Irish TV have been showing the U21 games live. Ireland are currently second in the table with 19pts - a point behind Italy - Sweden are third with 17 pts. Italy play Sweden tomorrow and then Ireland are away to Italy next Tuesday in the last game in the group. If Sweden manage to beat or draw with Italy then the winner of the group will all be decided on Tuesday. If Italy win or its a draw Ireland are guaranteed second place. The winner qualifies for the finals, second goes into a playoff. If England beat kosovo on Friday then they win their group. Its a big deal for the Irish team - Ireland have never qualified for an U21 finals and it shows the progress (and talent) coming through the Irish ranks that they are in such a position in the group with one game to play - and I can see Ferguson playing a growing role the longer Ireland stay in the competition.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The Irish U21 were well beaten by Italy last night - but Evan Ferguson was the Irish MOTM and deservedly so. He gave the Italian defence a lot of trouble in the game despite getting little service - and he is still only 17.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Picked out by the BBC as one to watch in the forthcoming season https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61750684

Ferguson could be in for a big season at Brighton despite only being 17.

The Republic of Ireland Under-21 striker made four appearances for the Seagulls last season - but that was not his first taste of first-team action.

Remarkably, he made his League of Ireland debut for Bohemians when he was only 14 - having also faced Chelsea in a friendly at the same age.

"You forget he's only 17, especially when you watch him every day in training," said boss Graham Potter.

"He's not looked out of place. Character wise, his personality and mindset are all really good. We've got a lot of faith in him."

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Picked out by the BBC as one to watch in the forthcoming season https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61750684

Ferguson could be in for a big season at Brighton despite only being 17.

The Republic of Ireland Under-21 striker made four appearances for the Seagulls last season - but that was not his first taste of first-team action.

Remarkably, he made his League of Ireland debut for Bohemians when he was only 14 - having also faced Chelsea in a friendly at the same age.

"You forget he's only 17, especially when you watch him every day in training," said boss Graham Potter.

"He's not looked out of place. Character wise, his personality and mindset are all really good. We've got a lot of faith in him."

Didn't realise he'd made four appearances for the Albion!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Didn't realise he'd made four appearances for the Albion!

Made his debut at 16 when he played the last 9 mins against Cardiff in the League Cup at the start of the season.
Premier League debut from the bench against Burnley when we were stuffed 3-0. Damage was well and truly done before he came on.
2 games in the FA Cup, 44 mins against West Brom and got an assist for Moder's equaliser. Was unlucky not to score too, in fact one was ruled out for offside if I remember correctly. Also got 11 mins against Spurs.

He hasn't looked out of place, and for a 17 year old he looks massive, he could be a real presence.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Made his debut at 16 when he played the last 9 mins against Cardiff in the League Cup at the start of the season.
Premier League debut from the bench against Burnley when we were stuffed 3-0. Damage was well and truly done before he came on.
2 games in the FA Cup, 44 mins against West Brom and got an assist for Moder's equaliser. Was unlucky not to score too, in fact one was ruled out for offside if I remember correctly. Also got 11 mins against Spurs.

He hasn't looked out of place, and for a 17 year old he looks massive, he could be a real presence.
Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham

This is the danger for me. Has his size/strength enabled him to dominate younger age groups? This advantage will reduce as he progresses and plays against bigger and stronger players. Having said that, I hope he goes on to become our all time leading goal scorer!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here