Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
3 in 165 minutes.

When Aaron Connolly had his standout season at that level, in the 2018/19 season, he scored 11 in 15 matches.

If Ferguson continues at his current rate he will smash that.

4 in 4 now. He may well get a start this year…..

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Now has 4 goals in 179 minutes at u23 level, aged 16.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
4 in 4 now. He may well get a start this year…..

I very much doubt that. They seem to be regulating his minutes, even at u23 level.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Now has 4 goals in 179 minutes at u23 level, aged 16.

Let's hope we don't put him in the first team too early, then keep him sitting on the bench and failing to make an impact for far too long before loaning him out to the Championship/League1/SPL then.

(Not that we've ever done anything like that before, of course!)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A lovely finish from Evan tonight but what was also impressive was he started the move by holding the ball up, nice turn, lovely ball to Peupion then he sprinted forward, picked up the loose ball and buried it.

Again, I think we have to be patient, let him enjoy his football, let him score all kinds of goals so he builds his confidence. That said, the odd cup game sub appearance won't hurt.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
3 seasons loan to Lichtenstein D2 ... Andorra D1, then Worthing Utd.. then he will be ready.... for a Championship loan deal.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Let’s not get overly facetious about the club’s development pathway just because it’s usually a long-term thing. Recent experience suggests it’s the way to do it: On one hand, there’s Connolly who went straight from the U23s into the senior squad and has regressed since making an impact in his debut 2 years ago. On the other hand, there’s Ben White who had 3 loan spells at progressive lower-league clubs before his PL debut, and he’s just been sold for 50m.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am starting to think that we may just have found the first potentially genuine PL (top flight) quality striker coming through the youth set up since I started following the Albion in the mid 70’s

Not getting carried away as there have been a number of false dawns but looking forward to seeing Ferguson’s progression.

I think Ian Muir may have been one too but we moved him on to Tranmere before he established himself here.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Let’s not get overly facetious about the club’s development pathway just because it’s usually a long-term thing. Recent experience suggests it’s the way to do it: On one hand, there’s Connolly who went straight from the U23s into the senior squad and has regressed since making an impact in his debut 2 years ago. On the other hand, there’s Ben White who had 3 loan spells at progressive lower-league clubs before his PL debut, and he’s just been sold for 50m.

I think the club view every player individually to try and marry their progress to their needs. If you were to look at Rooney he was a starter for Everton at 17,indeed scoring on his debut against Man Utd so that's only 12 months older than Evan. Is he good enough to do that? we, as fans, have absolutely no idea, but the club will have. Exciting times.:clap2:

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I think the club view every player individually to try and marry their progress to their needs. If you were to look at Rooney he was a starter for Everton at 17,indeed scoring on his debut against Man Utd so that's only 12 months older than Evan. Is he good enough to do that? we, as fans, have absolutely no idea, but the club will have. Exciting times.:clap2:

If we are in a safe position towards the backend of the season, he may be worth some game time, I suppose he may get some cup game time earlier.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
If we are in a safe position towards the backend of the season, he may be worth some game time, I suppose he may get some cup game time earlier.

Unfortunately a safe position, as you put it, may not be the determining factor, it’s the final league placing that counts. The pot of gold, say ending in 12th rather 13th spot, could be worth north of £1million. Unless the club are very confident about a developing player the chances are that his involvement would be in a cup tie or as a late substitution in a match that’s done and dusted.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I am starting to think that we may just have found the first potentially genuine PL (top flight) quality striker coming through the youth set up since I started following the Albion in the mid 70’s

Not getting carried away as there have been a number of false dawns but looking forward to seeing Ferguson’s progression.

I think Ian Muir may have been one too but we moved him on to Tranmere before he established himself here.

Yes, Uncle Frank obviously had a better eye for a potential goal scorer than Cattlin and Lou Macari (who had him at Swindon on a short loan from us). Muiry and Jim Steel were the Keegan and Toshack of that side of the River Mersey.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
What age can they tie him to the club with a contract?
Before long one of the big four will come in and poach him on the cheap. He could be priceless in 2/3 years if he carries on improving
Looks one hell of a prospect.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
What age can they tie him to the club with a contract?
Before long one of the big four will come in and poach him on the cheap. He could be priceless in 2/3 years if he carries on improving
Looks one hell of a prospect.

On his 17th birthday, 19th October.

But he will already have signed a precontract which means a tribunal would currently calculate his value should he leave before then.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Like others, I think he looks a cut above his teammates in the U23 matches so far this season. However, I read with interest the article on the official Albion app regarding our youngest ever players and how they progressed, and it’s a timely reminder that it’s really easy for things to fall apart, or for players to not be able to kick on from their initial promise in a sustained manner.

I wish him well, and hope the club can bring him through, but it really is a marathon and not a sprint. I also hope Ferguson’s performances put a bit of pressure on Connolly psychologically, just to focus his mind on the fact that he’s not the only good young prospect at the club. I think if in the later stages of a match we lost Maupay or Welbeck, GP could be forgiven for casting his eye past Connolly/Locadia to the guy who’s scored four in four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here