Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Round of 16 (Switzerland vs Italy & Germany vs Denmark)

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Fwiw I don’t think Germany have played any better against Denmark than we did. They just got a very lucky break with the first goal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fwiw I don’t think Germany have played any better against Denmark than we did. They just got a very lucky break with the first goal.

I think you've forgotten how poor we were. Germany were pretty good at the start, and then for a bit after the restart. Check out the match stats for our game. It's not pretty.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I think you've forgotten how poor we were. Germany were pretty good at the start, and then for a bit after the restart. Check out the match stats for our game. It's not pretty.
Maybe, but Denmark have had 2 or 3 very good chances to score tonight. They had more of the ball against us than tonight but it took a great strike from 25 yards to score, they didn’t really have any other chances.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
McCoist and Tyldesley are by far far far the best commentary team on TV at these euros, yet it’s the last time they are paired at the tournament…

Oh well, at least we’ve got Sam Matterface :facepalm:
I hope Clive gets another role. These days commentators seem to.be a bit lowest denominator and he does stand out as a voice of knowledge who captures the occasion. I think he's a real loss.

Good lord what is this panel moaning about, it was offside and it was handball. TV panels creating fake controversies rather then talking about why Germany were the better team talent wise and tactically is soooooo bloody boring

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think the results and the stats suggest different.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Again, Ange head and shoulders above the rest there in that analysis of VAR. Keane and Wright contradicting themselves about the spirit of the game being spoilt by the handball, but not by toenail offsides? I feel it's both, but if you had to pick one surely it'd be the other way round, as at least you can say "well Andersen did handle it", whereas like Ange said it's nigh on impossible to prove offside by milimetres.

Rather than giving penalties to those handball situations, a potential solution to appease everyone could be to give an indirect free kick. Very rarely do those "crosses that hit the hand" deny a clear goal-scoring opportunity, in the way a foul on someone taking a shot in the six yard box would. Would take a lot of the controversy out of it, and would be a fairer punishment for essentially blocking a cross.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Again, Ange head and shoulders above the rest there in that analysis of VAR. Keane and Wright contradicting themselves about the spirit of the game being spoilt by the handball, but not by toenail offsides? I feel it's both, but if you had to pick one surely it'd be the other way round, as at least you can say "well Andersen did handle it", whereas like Ange said it's nigh on impossible to prove offside by milimetres.

Rather than giving penalties to those handball situations, a potential solution to appease everyone could be to give an indirect free kick. Very rarely do those "crosses that hit the hand" deny a clear goal-scoring opportunity, in the way a foul on someone taking a shot in the six yard box would. Would take a lot of the controversy out of it, and would be a fairer punishment for essentially blocking a cross.
I think a penalty is suitable punishment; everyone knows you can’t handle the ball.

You really think creating different types of handball would lower rather than elevate controversy. I really don’t think that takes into account our current rage and controversy driven media.

Coaches try to make defenders lower their arms by their sides when crosses come in these days. The Danish guy didn’t bother and asked for his misfortune

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I think the results and the stats suggest different.
Only one that knew it hit hand was bloody snickometer. The rule is a joke. Having German relatives wanted them to win but fact is if Denmark goal was given and no penalty given it would not have even been discussed post match as something that had been missed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Only one that knew it hit hand was bloody snickometer. The rule is a joke. Having German relatives wanted them to win but fact is if Denmark goal was given and no penalty given it would not have even been discussed post match as something that had been missed.
But the Danish goal was offside so it couldn’t have been given…..and it was a definite penalty. The two German “goals” were correctly chalked off as well. All the big decisions were correctly called.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I am fed up with people moaning about that hand ball penalty. We all know the rules. If the ball hits hand outside of the silhouette of the body it is a pen. We might not like it but those are the rules. Cucurella is excellent at blocking crosses with hands behind his back. He adapted to the new rules while others didn’t. It winds me up when people moan about the ref doing his job properly because they don’t like the rules.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Oliver would have been sent home for refereeing clangers though. Maybe he would have pleased some fans by not following the rules but he has a job to do and he did it. Whether we like the rules is irrelevant because they are they rules and the ref can’t just decide to go rogue.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Now they can detect the moment a ball is kicked and the moment it touches someone’s hand we might as well all give up and let football be played out by some AI system.
All the enjoyment has gone out of watching a game. Can’t the football authorities see it, or are they as blind as all those closeted politicians who haven’t a clue about poverty?

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
Is it even possible to determine the exact moment of impact in which a player plays the ball in an offside call?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Oliver would have been sent home for refereeing clangers though. Maybe he would have pleased some fans by not following the rules but he has a job to do and he did it. Whether we like the rules is irrelevant because they are the rules and the ref can’t just decide to go rogue.
I’m not convinced that he actually made the decision, more likely told to give it. I don’t see that him determining that an accidental handball is going rogue. Going against something he was told to do, maybe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here