Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Round of 16 (Romania vs Netherlands, Austria vs Turkey)

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Come on then.

Who had Austria v Turkey as game of the tournament?
To be fair, Österreich v Turkey was always likely to result in some impressive wing play.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It was good, but it wasn't that good
Banks's save is overdone. Pele was easily double the distance from goal than today's. For its day when the average player was nowhere as fit it was good but in today's game where the pace is so much quicker Bank's save is often surpassed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Banks's save is overdone. Pele was easily double the distance from goal than today's. For its day when the average player was nowhere as fit it was good but in today's game where the pace is so much quicker Bank's save is often surpassed.
Taking altitude into account, the speed would've been relative to today’s pace. Thinner air and all that.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
That felt like quite the wasted opportunity for my adopted nation - the country is waking up with a hangover today. Losing to Turkey is particularly bitter for many locals...

You can gegenpress all you want but if you can't defend corners then a defeat like that can happen.

One consolation is an Austrian player (Gregoritsch) actually calling out the far right in a TV interview after the match - unheard of here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Noisy night in Berlin, lots of fireworks and car horns.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Nah. Cross fizzed in from the byline - Banks has to be on near post
Pele bullet header - down and into the far corner - how he got across was unbelievable
And the ball was nearly over the line when he got to it
Plus a massive game involving the best team and best player in the world adds to the importance
Last night - crap header too close to the middle of the goal - a lot of keepers would have saved that

IMHO 😃

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Each to their own but I disagree, this is the most I’ve enjoyed any tournament for ages personally (apart from England, who have been terrible)
I think the fact hardly anyone went home after the group games removed a lot of the edge that previous tournaments have had .

The majority last 16 games were awful

Good games moving forward though ( potentially )

The tournaments first 5/6 games were great however

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here