Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Round of 16 (England vs Slovakia & Spain vs Georgia)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Most want England to do well, but equally many are just fed up with the hype, entitlement and disappointment which goes with following England. I'm of an age where I have seen this repeatedly decade after decade. This tournament seems to be especially toxic with players arguing on the pitch, fans booing and luzzing stuff at Southgate. Football is supposed to be fun.
This. I really want us to win something, but I’ve been waiting 50 years already and we’re further away than ever. We can shout about ‘best league in the world’ and all that crap, hype up our squad and chances pre-tournament but the ending is always the same, even if the factors leading to it might change (it’s mostly on Southgate this time imo). It’s depressing.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Most want England to do well, but equally many are just fed up with the hype, entitlement and disappointment which goes with following England.

thats just the media , all we are seeing is sheep that get controlled by everything the media writes.

It's best avoided and make own mind up. I know this is hard when even the commentators have a negative agenda

Keep all in perspective , the media have created this.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
This. I really want us to win something, but I’ve been waiting 50 years already and we’re further away than ever. We can shout about ‘best league in the world’ and all that crap, hype up our squad and chances pre-tournament but the ending is always the same, even if the factors leading to it might change (it’s mostly on Southgate this time imo). It’s depressing.
But if almost every manager before him has underacheived then it's surely more than just the manager?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The hype and crap come from the press and tv. It raises expectations.
Ignore that and just watch the games.

sakooshi

Jun 16, 2024
I agree in the main about Southgate having no tactical nous and any perceived success is inspite of him, not because of him.

Everyone including ex pro keeps saying the same thing "the structure and balance is wrong" and it strikes me, that this fact shows up Southgate for his lack of tactical ability.

All the top managers may have systems they prefer to play, but the real top managers will look at a squad and its talents and come up with the best system to maximise the players and talent in the squad...... not Southgate.

For him, he is totally wedded to 4-2-3-1 it doesn't matter the players or if another system could work better for the talented individuals, he will only try and shoehorn players into the only system he wants to play....thus the stupid comments about not having replaced Kalvin Phillips.

Potter for all his sins, was very tactically flexible and could adjust systems, even in game to get most out of individuals, and would tactically be a massive upgrade on a nice guy who is totally out of his depth tactically and locked rigidly to a one size fits all defensive minded formation.
I saw that Glen Hoddle has said that Pep Guardiola should replace Southgate. That would certainly be interesting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Been loads of complaints about getting to and from the grounds.
I know the FSA have been complaining (as they always do) but I know numerous people who have been to games and none have reported any significant issues. I'm not saying they have not happened, just no one I know has complained. That said, most I know are walking to the grounds as you can for most of them.

Last edited:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I saw that Glen Hoddle has said that Pep Guardiola should replace Southgate. That would certainly be interesting.
Yeah and I've said I want to replace my dirty quilt with Keira Knightly, because it would certainly be interesting. Problem I'm sharing with Hoddle is that reality is lurking around, preventing good fantasies from happening.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because that's tournament football, it's about winning and results. Portugal 8 years ago were awful to watch, how they won it is anyone's guess, Spain 2006 had one of the best squads ever taken to a tournament, they won it but almost all their games were boring to watch.

Would you rather we were a bit like 2004, play 1 or 2 scintiliating performances and LOOK like winning. Or do you want to ACTUALLY win it?
I just want to enjoy watching football, I like the thrills and spills of a good game, winning is a bonus. Same with watching the Albion. I just want some fun.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I was mildly happy at the developing loss last night, thinking that at least Southgate will get a swift red card from the FA... but no, even that hit was denied me..... happy we made it through, but the Hop Suisse crowd can plan their party on Saturday if old big nose doesn't make some obvious changes to strategy and personnel.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a bit of a national embarrassment actually. Perhaps we need the government to do something like they did when we slumped to our lowest ever medal tally in the Olympics. They introduced the National Lottery and with Lottery funding our medal haul shot up. What could they do to help? 🤔
Enable us to pay the players better? That would help.......................... :facepalm:

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
The hype and crap come from the press and tv. It raises expectations.
Ignore that and just watch the games.
Personally, Ive not listened to any hype. Nowadays I steer well clear of it. I dont "hate" Southgate. I dont want England to lose. Im just disappointed that our performances bear no resemblance to the way we know those players can play. Every player in that squad, barring maybe Kane, ( i havent watch the Bundesliga) plays in a team that presses high up the pitch but we cant seem to replicate that on the international stage.

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
He'd be as succesfull as the other 2 foreign managers we hired who turned out to be the 2 worst managers we've ever had

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Personally, Ive not listened to any hype. Nowadays I steer well clear of it. I dont "hate" Southgate. I dont want England to lose. Im just disappointed that our performances bear no resemblance to the way we know those players can play. Every player in that squad, barring maybe Kane, ( i havent watch the Bundesliga) plays in a team that presses high up the pitch but we cant seem to replicate that on the international stage.
Our problem in the past was we were niave and conceeded stupid goals and had bad discipline (ala Beckham/Rooney red cards) Southgate has fixed that, we are hard to beat, it isn't pretty but it's better than before

sakooshi

Jun 16, 2024
Our problem in the past was we were niave and conceeded stupid goals and had bad discipline (ala Beckham/Rooney red cards) Southgate has fixed that, we are hard to beat, it isn't pretty but it's better than before
So Southgate is like the England version of Chris Hughton. Ugly football but gets results.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
No won 2 Italy 90 Belgium and Cameroon, Russia World Cup won another 2 , so that’s 4 at least
Beat Paraguay in Mexico 1986 as well, and Denmark in Japan 2002.

I reckon the thing @Thunder Bolt may have heard is in relation to the Euros? That is - if you count home and away wins in 1968 against Spain in the quarter-finals as 'knock-out'. Don't think we've won any others?

Or maybe - only the second straight knock-out win away from Wembley under Southgate? The only two we've won before were in Russia, and one of those was on penalties.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Indeed - tbh, the tournament should be held in Germany every time - relatively central position, good public transport, great fans, very welcoming. 😊
You mad?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here