Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Round of 16 (England vs Slovakia & Spain vs Georgia)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We won two knockout matches in Italy in 1990 (Belgium and Cameroon).
I think I’m correct in saying England have only beaten one or two top 10 ranked team in normal time in knockout stage since 1966.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If we were playing football anything like Spain absolutely no-one would be moaning. Why would anyone? Of course folk are being very critical - we've got a huge amount of talent and we're playing absolutely appallingly! Seriously, what do you expect? Apart from the fact we're somehow still in the tournament what is there to be positive about from our performances so far?
I think we're talking at slightly cross purposes as your responding to something that wasn't quite my point.

My point is that there is a section of the public who seem to actively want England to fail and will take every and any opportunity to denigrate the team and everything associated with it.

It is clear we're not playing well and are a mile away from being the sum of our parts, let alone more than them.

Nevertheless if we had won all of our games and played well in them there would still be people queuing up to attack the team, saying things along the lines of:

Flat track bullies, can beat the small teams but will lose to the first half decent team we face.

It doesn't matter how well they're playing, England will bottle it. They alway do.

If we win it'll be because of the easy draw.

Etc etc.

 Some people justdont want the national team to succeed. That's my point, not that people are moaning about our poor performances and they shouldn't be.

sakooshi

Jun 16, 2024
No won 2 Italy 90 Belgium and Cameroon, Russia World Cup won another 2 , so that’s 4 at least
Pretty good, then.
Means we've won as many knockout matches away as Italy and Germany have each won actual world cups. Not as many as Brazil, though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

sakooshi

Jun 16, 2024
It's a shame we didn't take the World Cup seriously in the early days. We probably would have cleaned up in the '30s when Uruguay and Italy were winning it, but we didn't think it worth bothering with as we were so far ahead of the rest of the world (probably true, too, back then). We preferred to play the Home Nations.

Then failing to select Clough as manager was another example of the FA shooting themselves in the foot. If anyone was going to get a trophy out of a group of players it was him.

We came very close to getting to the final in 1990, and after beating German would have had a very good chance against a lacklustre Argentina.

Dodgy refereeing and dodgy penalty-taking by Kane contributed to our exit in Qatar. It's weird because I thought we were good in Qatar. How have we gone from that to this in under 2 years?

sakooshi

Jun 16, 2024
I think I’m correct in saying England have only beaten one or two top 10 ranked team in normal time in knockout stage since 1966.
It's a bit of a national embarrassment actually. Perhaps we need the government to do something like they did when we slumped to our lowest ever medal tally in the Olympics. They introduced the National Lottery and with Lottery funding our medal haul shot up. What could they do to help? 🤔

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just a few Leffe's, feeling fine and dandy

I apologise for supporting the England team rather than jumping on the hate bandwagon
Most want England to do well, but equally many are just fed up with the hype, entitlement and disappointment which goes with following England. I'm of an age where I have seen this repeatedly decade after decade. This tournament seems to be especially toxic with players arguing on the pitch, fans booing and luzzing stuff at Southgate. Football is supposed to be fun.

This said, I am getting a lot of enjoyment out of this tournament. Some nations, both big and small, have been utterly superb and are a joy to watch. Same for the fans, the Scots, the Germans and especially the Dutch have been great fun. Oh, and that Major Tom song is superb. I dont actually need England to win, just for the whole experience to be more enjoyable.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
It's a shame we didn't take the World Cup seriously in the early days. We probably would have cleaned up in the '30s when Uruguay and Italy were winning it, but we didn't think it worth bothering with as we were so far ahead of the rest of the world (probably true, too, back then). We preferred to play the Home Nations.

Then failing to select Clough as manager was another example of the FA shooting themselves in the foot. If anyone was going to get a trophy out of a group of players it was him.

We came very close to getting to the final in 1990, and after beating German would have had a very good chance against a lacklustre Argentina.

Dodgy refereeing and dodgy penalty-taking by Kane contributed to our exit in Qatar. It's weird because I thought we were good in Qatar. How have we gone from that to this in under 2 years?
The FA's biggest cock up was hiring 2 clueless foreign managers

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Most want England to do well, but equally many are just fed up with the hype, entitlement and disappointment which goes with following England. I'm of an age where I have seen this repeatedly decade after decade. This tournament seems to be especially toxic with players arguing on the pitch, fans booing and luzzing stuff at Southgate. Football is supposed to be fun.

This said, I am getting a lot of enjoyment out of this tournament. Some nations, both big and small, have been utterly superb and are a joy to watch. Same for the fans, the Scots, the Germans and especially the Dutch have been great fun. Oh, and that Major Tom song is superb. I dont actually need England to win, just for the whole experience to be more enjoyable.

Indeed - tbh, the tournament should be held in Germany every time - relatively central position, good public transport, great fans, very welcoming. 😊

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

This said, I am getting a lot of enjoyment out of this tournament. Some nations, both big and small, have been utterly superb and are a joy to watch. Same for the fans, the Scots, the Germans and especially the Dutch have been great fun. I dont actually need England to win, just for the whole experience to be more enjoyable.
Because that's tournament football, it's about winning and results. Portugal 8 years ago were awful to watch, how they won it is anyone's guess, Spain 2006 had one of the best squads ever taken to a tournament, they won it but almost all their games were boring to watch.

Would you rather we were a bit like 2004, play 1 or 2 scintiliating performances and LOOK like winning. Or do you want to ACTUALLY win it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely we'll appoint someone to get the best out of these players and everyone excited about England again after this.

Jurgen Klopp.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He just got extremely lucky. He never coached bellingham to do that, bringing on Toney with 2 minutes to go and him making an impact was luck not genius. the only reason we are through is because we have the easier side of the draw and we relied on a generational talent and one of the best finishers in the business. We are far less than the sum of our parts. Weve never had so much talent in the side yet we play with tactics that were last used in the early 2000s because thats all the waistcoat knows. He has managed in an era when the balance of power in football has changed, the stronger nations have all gone through massive changes but weve not taken advantage of that, preferring to use out of form players, squeezing players in to positions they dont normally play and he even turned up to this tournament not knowing his best side and playing TAA as a midfielder. I wont be singing his praises if by some miracle we end up winning the Euros. We would have done it despite him being the manager, not because he is.
I agree in the main about Southgate having no tactical nous and any perceived success is inspite of him, not because of him.

Everyone including ex pro keeps saying the same thing "the structure and balance is wrong" and it strikes me, that this fact shows up Southgate for his lack of tactical ability.

All the top managers may have systems they prefer to play, but the real top managers will look at a squad and its talents and come up with the best system to maximise the players and talent in the squad...... not Southgate.

For him, he is totally wedded to 4-2-3-1 it doesn't matter the players or if another system could work better for the talented individuals, he will only try and shoehorn players into the only system he wants to play....thus the stupid comments about not having replaced Kalvin Phillips.

Potter for all his sins, was very tactically flexible and could adjust systems, even in game to get most out of individuals, and would tactically be a massive upgrade on a nice guy who is totally out of his depth tactically and locked rigidly to a one size fits all defensive minded formation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here