Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Matchday 7

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Is it eight years now? IE before Gross joined us. And he still doesn't know his best team or formation total fraud. Stealing a living. Mad reallly, because people say I look like GS but I dress better. And probably have more tactical nouse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The shot was hard, right in the corner off the post. If that is saveable from distance, what shot is Unsavable? I don’t know how much better the Denmark player could’ve hit the shot.
You’re putting words into my mouth. I never said savable. I said a more agile alert keeper would have done better BUT I do think a better keeper gets their fingers to it…then who knows. . Maybe someone can post a replay so we can both reassess.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Pickford always hoofs the ball. It’s exceedingly bad luck that whatever ground he goes to, in whatever country, he ALWAYS gets a bobbly pitch. Or maybe it’s more to do with being pants?
His kicking is superb, only need to be sat behind him to see this, example 1: Setting Branthwaite up for their opener at the Amex. Of all the people to complain about it’s the goal keeper for not saving a Howitzer. Have you watched our other goal keepers? Ramsdale couldn’t catch a cold, Henderson somehow conceded more goals for Palace than we did, Trafford got dropped for someone who struggles to trap a ball. Pickford is by far and away our best goal keeper.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyway. I really enjoyed that Spain game, they have a few stand out exciting players and even Cucurella was good. I have high hopes for France Nederlands tomorrow; a friend is taking me to a public viewing where he assures me the rosé will be flowing

Liberté, égalité, fraternité!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
His kicking is superb, only need to be sat behind him to see this, example 1: Setting Branthwaite up for their opener at the Amex. Of all the people to complain about it’s the goal keeper for not saving a Howitzer. Have you watched our other goal keepers? Ramsdale couldn’t catch a cold, Henderson somehow conceded more goals for Palace than we did, Trafford got dropped for someone who struggles to trap a ball. Pickford is by far and away our best goal keeper.
I thought his kicking caused us a lot of problems from needless ceding of possession against Serbia. I think we will have to agree to disagree on Pickford.

Let’s move onto tomorrow’s game.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
A bit of a rant. Do we remember Southgate's remark re Sven in 2002? I had to google for the last bit and see it's popping up again - "We needed Winston Churchill but got Iain Duncan-Smith." And just like hearing IDS drone on about the feckless poor, listening to Southgate makes my teeth grind into my jawbone.

I don't think I've ever understood why he's so fêted, why The National staged a play about him, what he's done that has been so brilliant and beyond the ken of other managers. He seems like a nice bloke, but boy oh boy, I'd love to see a scintilla of emotion, a spark of true anger, an unguarded moment of unbridled joy, instead of the politician's platitudes that roll out of his mouth too easily these days

So he's thoughtful and measured. Great. But so is a young southern English teacher in a Ken Loach film who's been given a class of unruly scousers, who thinks the best way to get the best out them is to roll with the swearing and the hijinks and the disrespect, to be stoically and quietly disapproving, but not to get angry, ever, because they're good boys really, they just need to find their own way, and hey guys, what does shouting achieve? And yes maybe the school production this year was a disaster, but it's only a play, they all got something out of it and learned a few life lessons.

We need Winston Churchill.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I thought his kicking caused us a lot of problems from needless ceding of possession against Serbia. I think we will have to agree to disagree on Pickford.

Let’s move onto tomorrow’s game.
People need to offer to him, but we have Rice and a feckless TAA, wandering about out of possession.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And they play for Germany, Spain, France, Portugal.
..........and probably Sheffield United, Forest, Wolves, Burnley et al - when they came to the Amex. We, on the other hand, had a GK that was good with his feet. Good that - who needs a dinosaur GK that saves goals, eh?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
After nights 'sleep' it seems to me that yesterday was a double whammy of shit:

1) The players looked like they had never met each other and had no idea what to do. This is on the manager.

2) The players were absolute dogshit. They struggled to pass accurately, they offered no options to the man on the ball, they were consistently caught in possession, they played with no energy. This is on the players.

Put the two together and you get the worst performance since Iceland in 2016. This is my biggest fear, that we are going to return to the horrific days of 2008-2016 where we either failed to qualify for tournaments or stunk the tournaments out when we were there.

Something needs to change quite drastically before the next game. Unfortunately that's relying on the weakest aspect of Southgate's management so he's going to have to do something that even someone like me who's defended him a lot doesn't think he's capable of. :(

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Reflecting on watching that last night

How many times this season has Declan Rice lost the ball just outside the area - none
Last night - twice
How many times this season has Phil Foden been a peripheral figure in a game - none
Now twice in two games
How many times has Harry Kane talked about not being sure who had to press and when - none
But last night, proved he hadn’t got a clue about what he (along with the other players) was supposed to be doing.

People on here blaming the players need to give their head a wobble.

This shambles is on a manager whose biggest success is getting a team relegated from the Premier League

Lewis Dunk talked about RDZ getting angry if a player was two yards out of position.
Every player knew what they had to do and exactly where they had to be.
And Southgate promotes tactics where the keeper lumps it up to the big man up top.

FFS

If I was a supporter of a club in League Two, I would have been angry watching those supposed tactics. A club in League Two would have given England a good game and known what to do, tactically when it mattered.

It’s crazy that Southgate still had supporters on here before this tournament
Backroom team of Steve Holland and Paul Nevin (remember him) should be good enough to coach our players in what they should do and how they should organise.

So it is all down to the manager in the end
The complete lack of organisation, tactical ability, passion, confidence.
You can just see the lack of confidence in the manager running through this team.
That can’t be changed now, it’s too late

Is there any point in wasting another 90 minutes waiting for another inevitable shambles?

Such a shame, when there are so many good coaches out there who get a tune out of some of the best players in the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here