Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Matchday 7

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No one’s even mentioning how criminal it is that he’s taken an injured Luke Shaw and no other natural left back! Completely unbalances the team
I think they are on here. Mitchell or Burn were mentioned, both would be better than 'injured Luke Shaw'.

However, if we scrape through the group and he's fit for the first knock out game I'll understand the thinking even if I don't really agree with it.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I think they are on here. Mitchell or Burn were mentioned, both would be better than 'injured Luke Shaw'.

However, if we scrape through the group and he's fit for the first knock out game I'll understand the thinking even if I don't really agree with it.
Even that, major risk his first game back being last 16 or even quarter final! 😳 I mean, I’d rather Trippier than Dan Burn at international level, but I would have definitely taken Mitchell or Rico Henry (assuming that Chillwell is also injured?)

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Not sure about the 'accurate' tag though. The ones that reached England players were mainly because the outfield players ran on to where the ball was going to land to challenge with a Danish player - rather than them being in space already and Pickford picking them out with a pinpoint pass. That is - he hoofed it upfield roughly into space or an area where there were some players and left the outfield players to fight for / win the ball.
Long kicking is about that however, either way I really don't think goalkeeper is the issue with England at the moment, there is an obsession with criticising Pickford for England, which seems to have come from people's club loyalty. People are unable to be nuanced or fair, with the national team, which I think is why we've failed so often, this country is too partisan with its national team, and thats why ultimately it fails.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Even that, major risk his first game back being last 16 or even quarter final! 😳 I mean, I’d rather Trippier than Dan Burn at international level, but I would have definitely taken Mitchell or Rico Henry (assuming that Chillwell is also injured?)
Stat sites aren't some kind of full truth of course but most has Dan Burn as the best (regularly) perfoming English LB in the top 5 leagues.

Whoscored top 10 English LBs (minimum 6+ games played in the role last season):

1. Lewis Hall - 8 games - 7.12 rating
2. Dan Burn - 23 games - 6.99
3. Alfie Doughty - 29 games - 6.91
4. Joe Gomez - 12 games - 6.82
5. Tyrick Mitchell - 37 games - 6.78
6. Luke Shaw - 10 games - 6.73
7. Harry Tofolo - 15 games - 6.70
8. Ben Chilwell - 8 games - 6.58
9. Lloyd Kelly - 10 games - 6.53
10. Charlie Taylor - 25 games - 6.49

In this absolutely DIRE lot of left backs its simply scandalous that BDB doesn't even get a chance.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I have to say, Slovakia are such fun to watch. Officially my 2nd favourite team of the Euros (soon to be 1st if last night is anything to go by).

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Not sure about the 'accurate' tag though. The ones that reached England players were mainly because the outfield players ran on to where the ball was going to land to challenge with a Danish player - rather than them being in space already and Pickford picking them out with a pinpoint pass. That is - he hoofed it upfield roughly into space or an area where there were some players and left the outfield players to fight for / win the ball.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Southgate won't do this but for the next match is a real chance to shake things up.
We've been dire save about twenty minutes of our last three games.
I would drop Kane, I'd rest Bellingham (he won't play that badly ever again and looks knackered).
I'd get Wharton in midfield with Rice. Give Rice a partner who actually understands how to play CM. I'd get Dunk in for Stones and tell Rice not to drop deep. Let Dunky do what he does best.
Sounds mad but I'd play Saka at LB.
Something like this....

A GK
Walker Guehi Dunk Saka
Rice Wharton
Palmer Foden Gordon
Toney

All those players coming in will be hungry and rested. Gordon and Palmer will make things happen. Give Foden the ball, get his confidence back. And most importantly get Saka attacking like a proper full back. We know he can play there, he can play anywhere and LB is a massive, massive problem.
Mad that we have to experiment at this stage but we need to inject some energy and we need to sort out the balance of the team.
Just tell them to go out there and play football.

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
Not sure I’d take Rico Henry as he has been out injured all season with a ACL.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Thinking about his comments on Phillips

He's known for a year or more he's not going to be playing weekly, he's had a year to scout and find a replacement to fit his system.

There are plenty of average PL players that can do the role Phillips does, Skipp can run around play simple passes and kick people and if Phillips is the bar, Skipp is at that level and he's no where near the required standard.

Then moving on to his actual replacement on TAA, is Southgate suggesting Phillips has the same outstanding passing ability as TAA? Does he seriously think TAA can run round and kick people in the middle of the park?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Long kicking is about that however, either way I really don't think goalkeeper is the issue with England at the moment, there is an obsession with criticising Pickford for England, which seems to have come from people's club loyalty. People are unable to be nuanced or fair, with the national team, which I think is why we've failed so often, this country is too partisan with its national team, and thats why ultimately it fails.

That’s always been the case. Late 70’s (Liverpool players), 80’s Waddle/Barnes/Hoddle despised by many, every decade Londoners criticising/booing players rival clubs players at every Wembley game, Ashley Cole despised by Gooners, Ray Wilkins marmite figure.

I said to someone last night that our players palpably decline at tournaments compared to CL/PL heights, whilst those for ‘smaller’ nations such as Switzerland seem to ascend a level in a united national cause.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
That’s always been the case. Late 70’s (Liverpool players), 80’s Waddle/Barnes/Hoddle despised by many, every decade Londoners criticising/booing players rival clubs players at every Wembley game, Ashley Cole despised by Gooners, Ray Wilkins marmite figure.

I said to someone last night that our players palpably decline at tournaments compared to CL/PL heights, whilst those for ‘smaller’ nations such as Switzerland seem to ascend a level in a united national cause.
Switzerland have 1 point from 2 games and one of those games was against Scotland

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Switzerland have 1 point from 2 games and one of those games was against Scotland

My point is, tiny population and player pool. Yet at international level they’re more than the sum of the parts. 6 tournaments in row, playing positive attacking football, a great press.

Whereas often our CL and PL stars regress.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Has anyone noticed how big the cock is on the French shirt! ( the badge)

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

And Rico Henry.

I was lambasted in the Athletic for suggesting Southgate made such a mistake, but the r first two games with trippier at LB have been a disaster. He looks totally out of his depth.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Thinking about his comments on Phillips

He's known for a year or more he's not going to be playing weekly, he's had a year to scout and find a replacement to fit his system.

There are plenty of average PL players that can do the role Phillips does, Skipp can run around play simple passes and kick people and if Phillips is the bar, Skipp is at that level and he's no where near the required standard.

Then moving on to his actual replacement on TAA, is Southgate suggesting Phillips has the same outstanding passing ability as TAA? Does he seriously think TAA can run round and kick people in the middle of the park?
The idea that TAA has been the problem is ludicrous. He’s been absolutely hung out to dry in this tournament by Southgate… and the fact that he’s thought the solution is bringing on Gallagher blows my mind.

How do you play a player of that quality but offer no movement ahead of him?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Southgate won't do this but for the next match is a real chance to shake things up.
We've been dire save about twenty minutes of our last three games.
I would drop Kane, I'd rest Bellingham (he won't play that badly ever again and looks knackered).
I'd get Wharton in midfield with Rice. Give Rice a partner who actually understands how to play CM. I'd get Dunk in for Stones and tell Rice not to drop deep. Let Dunky do what he does best.
Sounds mad but I'd play Saka at LB.
Something like this....

A GK
Walker Guehi Dunk Saka
Rice Wharton
Palmer Foden Gordon
Toney

All those players coming in will be hungry and rested. Gordon and Palmer will make things happen. Give Foden the ball, get his confidence back. And most importantly get Saka attacking like a proper full back. We know he can play there, he can play anywhere and LB is a massive, massive problem.
Mad that we have to experiment at this stage but we need to inject some energy and we need to sort out the balance of the team.
Just tell them to go out there and play football.
I’m genuinely surprised Saka hasn’t been used as a viable alternative at LB. I appreciate he’s a brilliant winger, and arguably our standout attacker from the first two games (not saying much), but he’d offer balance at least and has proven he’d work for the team at the expense of his ego. We have more replacements at RW, for sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here