Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Surely that’s a red? Surely?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Surely that’s a red? Surely?
Nope, double jeopardy. If a penalty is given for any foul other than deliberate handball or serious foul play, the maximum penalty is a yellow.

The difference with this one and the Scotland one yesterday is the red card was for “serious foul play”, which is automatically a red card whether in the box or not.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
For me that’s really poor refereeing. Rodri should be off. No surprise it’s the English referees creating the first bit of refereeing controversy on the tournament

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Good fun this and Croatia deserve more

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
For me that’s really poor refereeing. Rodri should be off. No surprise it’s the English referees creating the first bit of refereeing controversy on the tournament
He’s got the decision absolutely correct in line with the current laws of the game.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bizarre:

The Croatian dived after barely being brushed
If it was a penalty it's a sending off
EDIT: They've sorted the encroaching which was obvious as soon as he stepped up.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Nope, double jeopardy. If a penalty is given for any foul other than deliberate handball or serious foul play, the maximum penalty is a yellow.

The difference with this one and the Scotland one yesterday is the red card was for “serious foul play”, which is automatically a red card whether in the box or not.
No, you’re wrong on this one. That’s only true if there is a clear attempt to play the ball. A deliberate foul like the one we’ve just seen should still be a straight red.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
No, you’re wrong on this one. That’s only true if there is a clear attempt to play the ball. A deliberate foul like the one we’ve just seen should still be a straight red.
It was a clear attempt to play the ball, he went in with a tackle in the proximity of the ball. What that law refers to is things like shirt pulling and trips from behind with no prospect or proximity to the ball.

In my view the referee got it spot on.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
It was a clear attempt to play the ball, he went in with a tackle in the proximity of the ball. What that law refers to is things like shirt pulling and trips from behind with no prospect or proximity to the ball.

In my view the referee got it spot on.
As you say, the law refers to trips from behind, which is exactly what it was. He was nowhere near the ball. Clear red

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
Was the keeper off his line for the pen? Need to see it again but wonder whether they looked at that.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Unpopular view? I love Peter Drury commentary. The descriptiveness, reserved for key moments.

Matterface, Tyldesley and Pearce, in a tinpot way, make run of the mill forays forward sound like that Carlos Alberto goal.
Screaming Drury not for me Clive but only my opinion, yours and others just as valid (y)

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Was the keeper off his line for the pen? Need to see it again but wonder whether they looked at that.
Looked like he still had one foot on the line as he dived would I believe is okay as far as the laws are concerned

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
The main event coming up 🇦🇱

Attachments

• 6F399B88-A96B-4CBF-9EA6-6F156DC4DFD0.jpeg
    6F399B88-A96B-4CBF-9EA6-6F156DC4DFD0.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 39

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex