Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Matchday 12 (Netherlands vs Austria, France vs Poland, England vs Slovenia & Denmark vs Serbia)

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
MATCH ONE

Netherlands 🇳🇱 vs Austria 🇦🇹

17:00 on BBC Two

Olympiastadion Berlin

Match preview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/c5111xzve6pt

MATCH TWO

France 🇫🇷 vs Poland 🇵🇱

17:00 on BBC One

BVB Stadion Dortmund

Match preview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/c3gggdy0x62t

MATCH THREE

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs Slovenia 🇸🇮

20:00 on ITV1

Cologne Stadium

Match preview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/c8000g2nj98t

MATCH FOUR

Denmark 🇩🇰 vs Serbia 🇷🇸

20:00 on ITV4

Fußball Arena München

Match preview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/c977792vyznt

IMG_3465.jpeg

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Easy route through to the final here lads, no excuses. A comfortable 3-0 win - Heskey hattrick and Zaha with the other two. Let’s show these Scandis what we’re made of!*

*Were loose

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This campaign stinks of South African World Cup and 2016 Euros

Disjointed
Players having a pop at the media/fans for calling out the dreadful performances
Seems like a splintered squad
Manager knows he's gone after
Feeble excuses
Unfit players selected

To go deep in this competition we need to drop Kane or find a system that prevents him playing too deep. I don’t think Waistcoat will do either.

In Dublin for work for the next few days so will be hiding with my Geordie mate in a pub full of “Slovenian” Irishmen.

Lovely place, Slovenia, btw and TERRIBLY good at football…..

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don’t like our current shape. At all. Kane is completely isolated. But there’s no way Southgate is changing it at this point; he’s too stubborn, even when it’s simply not working.

I’d go for this;

IMG_3468.jpeg

In possession in our third, the fullbacks stay wide (hence picking Shaw for natural left sided width, which we’ve sorely lacked) and Bellingham and/or Foden drop into a two or three alongside Rice to receive the ball from Pickford or the two centrebacks. This provides five low risk out-balls, one on either flank and three in a tight cluster in the centre.

Transitioning forward, I’d ask Bellingham and Foden to stay narrow and Rice to effectively carry water, his sole aim sweeping behind those two and releasing the ball as quickly as possible to them.

I would be asking Kane to play back to goal and come towards the ball, and Watkins to play on the shoulder of the last defender, not tracking back at all and basically goal-hanging. What you don’t want is both of them dropping into a 10 position.

This leaves Palmer as the free man, operating exclusively in the opposition half between the opposition midfield and defensive lines looking to feed Watkins.

All of this depends on quick, direct play and absolutely zero fannying about. It depends on having the five players with solely attacking duties in the transition, all running their bollocks off.

The fullbacks are defensive players in this system, and should be keeping a tight back four with the centrebacks.

That attacking 5 would give any defensive 5 in the tournament a very tough game, and we should back ourselves.

Two teams of 5.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don’t like our current shape. At all. Kane is completely isolated. But there’s no way Southgate is changing it at this point; he’s too stubborn, even when it’s simply not working.

I’d go for this;

View attachment 184646

In possession in our third, the fullbacks stay wide (hence picking Shaw for natural left sided width, which we’ve sorely lacked) and Bellingham and/or Foden drop into a two or three alongside Rice to receive the ball from Pickford or the two centrebacks. This provides five low risk out-balls, one on either flank and three in a tight cluster in the centre.

Transitioning forward, I’d ask Bellingham and Foden to stay narrow and Rice to effectively carry water, his sole aim sweeping behind those two and releasing the ball as quickly as possible to them.

I would be asking Kane to play back to goal and come towards the ball, and Watkins to play on the shoulder of the last defender, not tracking back at all and basically goal-hanging. What you don’t want is both of them dropping into a 10 position.

This leaves Palmer as the free man, operating exclusively in the opposition half between the opposition midfield and defensive lines looking to feed Watkins.

All of this depends on quick, direct play and absolutely zero fannying about. It depends on having the five players with solely attacking duties in the transition, all running their bollocks off.

The fullbacks are defensive players in this system, and should be keeping a tight back four with the centrebacks.

That attacking 5 would give any defensive 5 in the tournament a very tough game, and we should back ourselves.

Two teams of 5.
When can you start?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As posted on yesterday's thread, it'll be interesting to see what qualification already secured will do on England's intensity.

There are still questions to be answered to fans, pundits and media with regards to failing to press home the advantage.

Going a goal up early against Slovenia will not entitle them to sit back and defend for 60-70 minutes.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Further to the question about the number of countries that border Germany. Who was the last non island host of a major international football tournament to not have any countries bordering them ?

I've looked it up. And it's a very surprising one.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I just want England to look like the better team this evening and start playing with some confidence. At the moment the England camp does not appear to be a happy one, a snappy media (no change there) but an increasingly irritated manager and squad. My hope is that they finally shut the critics (myself included) up this evening.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Further to the question about the number of countries that border Germany. Who was the last host of a major international football tournament to not have any countries bordering them ?

I've looked it up. And it's a very surprising one.
Australia for the Womens World Cup last year would be my first guess.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’ll be putting a small England flag on the dashboard of my van today….i’d just like to apologise if that distracts anyone while I am driving from job to job …oh hang on I’m not a taxi driver and in London….scrap that 😉

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If the only change is Gallagher for Trent, it suggests Southgate doesn't understand the extent of the problems.

We cannot win a major tournament without a functioning left side of the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here