Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Matchday 12 (Netherlands vs Austria, France vs Poland, England vs Slovenia & Denmark vs Serbia)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I know we're extremely biased, but. Is Dunk ther only defender in the squad who can/will put his foot on the ball and look/think before passing?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Stones, Guehi and Trippier with a wonderful passing display to take us 30 yards there

It was 30 yards backwards, obviously, but still…

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Why on Earth is Kane so deep?
When you look at the rest of the team/squad, he's kind of past it . . .or we play differently to accomodate him . . .

either way one would need a manager/coach capable of conveying particulars to said players.

I spotted a few minutes ago he was jotting notes, presumably to be faxed to Bobby Robson for advice. 🙄

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
When you look at the rest of the team/squad, he's kind of past it . . .or we play differently to accomodate him . . .

either way one would need a manager/coach capable of conveying particulars to said players.

I spotted a few minutes ago he was jotting notes, presumably to be faxed to Bobby Robson for advice. 🙄
I'm surprised he can write.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
1000011913.gif

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don’t like our current shape. At all. Kane is completely isolated. But there’s no way Southgate is changing it at this point; he’s too stubborn, even when it’s simply not working.

I’d go for this;

View attachment 184646

In possession in our third, the fullbacks stay wide (hence picking Shaw for natural left sided width, which we’ve sorely lacked) and Bellingham and/or Foden drop into a two or three alongside Rice to receive the ball from Pickford or the two centrebacks. This provides five low risk out-balls, one on either flank and three in a tight cluster in the centre.

Transitioning forward, I’d ask Bellingham and Foden to stay narrow and Rice to effectively carry water, his sole aim sweeping behind those two and releasing the ball as quickly as possible to them.

I would be asking Kane to play back to goal and come towards the ball, and Watkins to play on the shoulder of the last defender, not tracking back at all and basically goal-hanging. What you don’t want is both of them dropping into a 10 position.

This leaves Palmer as the free man, operating exclusively in the opposition half between the opposition midfield and defensive lines looking to feed Watkins.

All of this depends on quick, direct play and absolutely zero fannying about. It depends on having the five players with solely attacking duties in the transition, all running their bollocks off.

The fullbacks are defensive players in this system, and should be keeping a tight back four with the centrebacks.

That attacking 5 would give any defensive 5 in the tournament a very tough game, and we should back ourselves.

Two teams of 5.
I stick by this. We are SO ponderous

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Currently in Colombia, the commentators here love to bring the drama even for moments that really don't warrant it.

They've been panning England's performance so far and rightly so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here