Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Matchday 12 (Netherlands vs Austria, France vs Poland, England vs Slovenia & Denmark vs Serbia)

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It’s tournament football - they don’t even have to win matches to go through from now on. It’s not points for “delivery” .
After 2 wins in the last 8 games, can you honestly see us overcoming 4 teams in a row including penalty shootouts?

Based on what we've all endured in the group games, current form, managerial ability, in-play decision-making and tactics, I just can't.

Anything other than England losing to the first high ranking team we play flies in the face of everything we've watched.

It's not pessimism, it's expectation management that's founded on harsh reality.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
After 2 wins in the last 8 games, can you honestly see us overcoming 4 teams in a row including penalty shootouts?

Based on what we've all endured in the group games, current form, managerial ability, in-play decision-making and tactics, I just can't.

Anything other than England losing to the first high ranking team we play flies in the face of everything we've watched.

It's not pessimism, it's expectation management that's founded on harsh reality.
Yes. It’s a tournament. Not sure anyone has impressed so far.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That is the very reason why we won’t win anything. He goes into the game trying not to lose, rather than trying to win. You can’t consistently play crap and then expect to win.
He was one penalty away from winning last time. How did he manage it then ? Fluke ?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yes. It’s a tournament. Not sure anyone has impressed so far.
Plenty of teams have impressed so far, albeit not in every game that they've played.

Spain 9 points, 3 wins, no goals conceded. Germany 8 goals scored and 7 points. Portugal 2 wins out of 2 so far, 5 goals scored.

The difference is that England haven't impressed in any of their games.

There's no form in the team and no confidence from the media and fans.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Will Lewis get any game time?
Barring injuries, I doubt it - especially now we’re into the knockout phase. His best chance for a run out would have been tonight had we been a few up with 10 mins left and Southgate wanted to rest a few.

Ha!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Our worst Group finishing position since Euro 2016 where we finished second, behind Wales, were dumped out of the last 16 by Iceland, and Roy Hodgeson resigning afterwards.

Between then and now, Sterling and Kane were the driving forces in grinding out wins and progression throughout the tournament games we’ve won since. I was very surprised that Gareth didn’t bring Raheem along, considering his recent upturn in league form and England goal-scoring history.

2016 seems strikingly similar to our standing today.

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I find it unbelievable that Southgate and co are trying to spin another f***ing diabolical performance against a shit team, despite the dissatisfaction which has clearly been shown in the media and with the fans.

One of the greatest things about football is that it generally provides debate and different opinions, but there is no debate to be had with this England side. It's shit and we'll lose as soon as we play a half decent side. We may be able to fluke one knockout round but we're toast when we get any of the decent sides.

I just don't get what is going on in Southgate's head. Wtf is he doing watching that iPad during games? I can only conclude he's doing the modern equivalent of f***ing Angry Birds or some shit.

Should have been sacked after the Italy final IMO, how he wasn't after 2022 is beyond me. How he can have the gall to continue to occupy the position after the shite he has presided over is a mystery.

But it all comes back to the FA; f*** getting the best guy for the job, f*** getting someone with any kind of track record, just go for the boring twat that won't provoke any controversy. The whole organisation needs ripping apart. Get these gormless execs out and get some people in that have some nous in how to build a team we can actually be proud of.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I take it it was another poor display?

I've only seen the 3 minute highlights where it looked like there might have been a little bit more verve in the attacking areas. Were they the few flickers of light amongst the dark of another dross performance?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
That palmer shot goes in and press all say it’s a good performance

Last night was better for sure

Playing at about 30% and have won the group conceding once

73% possession . Pickford a spectator

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland