Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Matchday 10

Midget

Amexgemeinschaftsstadionhallebierschluckerinchen
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
One more observation about Scotland, they simply didn’t/don’t have a talisman, a quality attacking player who could make something out of nothing. They were left with a stolid, workmanlike midfield without a creative bone in the their body when it comes to the final third (and I’m afraid I’m including WBG in this).

Weaker teams often have one or two really quality players who they hope can magic up a goal or two (such as Szoboszlai tonight for Hungary) whereas Scotland’s best player is a left back.

They didn’t have a chance.
I think the problem was WBG was forced to play most of the game so deep as the defenders couldn't bring the ball out themselves. No chance to be very creative in those circumstances.

I thought he played ok but the shape was so bad he didn't have much he could offer.

Agree they didn't have a chance.

SkirlieWirlie

Jan 6, 2024
I work with a load of Scots, all very positive folk about their Britishness and at the same time proud Scots. They explain that for hundreds of years, the overwhelming majority of Scots have been integral to the entire country, its history, the UK has a innate Scottishness. Every now and then a minority (catholics and other Jacobites 300 years ago in league with France), latterly the SNP, emphasise divisions. Alastair Darling explained this well, he said the SNP sought to make Scots dislike the English and vice versa, the oldest nationalist trick in the book.
Yep and the Union is constantly misrepresented anecdotally in Scotland as a subjugation of the nation, when the reality is the country was on its knees due to overstretching of colonial ambitions in central America and we came cap in hand to England asking for a bale out... But hey, why spoil a good fairytale with facts.

SkirlieWirlie

Jan 6, 2024
Yep and the Union is constantly misrepresented anecdotally in Scotland as a subjugation of the nation, when the reality is the country was on its knees due to overstretching of colonial ambitions in central America and we came cap in hand to England asking for a bale out... But hey, why spoil a good fairytale with facts.
bail not bale!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think the problem was WBG was forced to play most of the game so deep as the defenders couldn't bring the ball out themselves. No chance to be very creative in those circumstances.

I thought he played ok but the shape was so bad he didn't have much he could offer.

Agree they didn't have a chance.
I totally agree.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But the English flag isn't derided as racist, nationalist or xenophobic?
No? What fantasy land are you living in? Newish to NSC, are you - or have you just 'ignored thread' all the Brexit and Tory melt down ones? (which in itself isn't a bad idea, TBH)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
After WBG came off, Scotland hit long balls and pushed up allowing Hungary to counter attack, which they did and livened up the game. Their counter attacking was light years ahead of Palace under Roy.

I switched off when Moyes ungraciously rubbished Hungary.

2 OGs and 1 point to show for a qualifying stage. Sending themselves homeward to think again it seems.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
not enough quality ultimately particularly up front....options were a striker from the championship, Hearts and bringing on a guy from MLS

it's still better than how it's been for the bulk of my time supporting Scotland but desperately need some more quality in certain areas. Really need a McForward who is marginally not good enough for England but can still do a job

that 3-6-1 formation is only really in place to get Tierney and Robertson into the starting 11 together, with no Tierney I don't really see the point as it provides very little width especially on the right where Ralston was very limited. Basically relying on a moment of magic from McTominay/McGinn or a wonder cross from Robertson which could somehow find whatever lump they have up top

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
And after having got his body in front of the ball and the player just clatters into him nowhere near it.
What he did with his body looked weird in real time but when you look at it in slow motion he throws his leg out and back into the direction of the defender not to shield the ball but to cause contact.

If he'd just concentrated on controlling the ball and shooting he would probably have scored.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Gutted for the Scots, absolute stonewall penalty means they were robbed.

Fair play to the Tartan Army though, already won the supporters of the tournament crown by an absolute country mile. Despite the feeling of injustice not a hint of any trouble. They've made their way into my top 5 armies of all time which is some achievement.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
What he did with his body looked weird in real time but when you look at it in slow motion he throws his leg out and back into the direction of the defender not to shield the ball but to cause contact.

If he'd just concentrated on controlling the ball and shooting he would probably have scored.
I agree, I thought he initiated contact and wanted the penalty rather than taking it on and scoring himself. Open to interpretation but not an obvious error in my opinion.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Gutted for the Scots, absolute stonewall penalty means they were robbed.

Fair play to the Tartan Army though, already won the supporters of the tournament crown by an absolute country mile. Despite the feeling of injustice not a hint of any trouble. They've made their way into my top 5 armies of all time which is some achievement.
No guarantee they score the spot kick had it been awarded.
I mean they are pretty useless at football 😏
As for the men in skirts
very pleasant people

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here