Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

European Elections - LAZY PARTIES

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
In Coldean, we've had leaflets from Labour, Tories, Greens, No2EU and UKIP but no BNP and no Lib Dems. But no-one's knocked on the door yet, it was so different about 20 years ago when you could expect to be disturbed several times in the run-up to the election.

Did they even campaign for Euros then?

I think it's due to a lack of membership and in the case of Labour, massive lack of funds.

Up here in London we did get the Christian party rapping on a bus, mind you..

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I remember campaigning in 1979 - so, yes, people were campaigning in Euro elections 30 years ago.

1979 was our first Euro election wasn't it? I looked it up the other day, seemed weird to me as wasn't it held a month after the General Election?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
1979 was our first Euro election wasn't it? I looked it up the other day, seemed weird to me as wasn't it held a month after the General Election?

It was. I remember trying to explain to several people that yes, we had just had an election but this was something different. Europe seemed like a far away place then - at least it did in inner Bradford.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
It was. I remember trying to explain to several people that yes, we had just had an election but this was something different. Europe seemed like a far away place then - at least it did in inner Bradford.

No wonder we had such low turnout then! It is so bizarre to think just a month after the last elections, everyone had to go back out and campaign. Surely there was nothing new to add to what had been said in May.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Labour probably think they'll do better if they just keep quiet. Their broadcast tonight was weird. No feature of Gordon Brown (not surprising) but instead - Eddy Izzard??!!
I watched that, very odd. Basically it slagged off David Cameron for a bit then went "oh and by the way, here's eddie izzard"

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Yep. I seem to recall in '97, people like Andrew Lloyd Webber and Phil Collins said they'd leave the country if Labour won..

Now we know what swung it for Blair!

It always amazes me that when these celebs come out in support of a political party. They think we are going to sit up and take notice.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yep. I seem to recall in '97, people like Andrew Lloyd Webber and Phil Collins said they'd leave the country if Labour won..

Now we know what swung it for Blair!

I fell for it !!!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
It always amazes me that when these celebs come out in support of a political party. They think we are going to sit up and take notice.

you cannot over estimate the intellect of the type of people who watch big brother.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here