Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

European championships to be expanded?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Which teams that AREN'T in this euros would, more often than not, actually have a team worthy of being there? Obviously there's us, and I guess you could make a case for Denmark, Bulgaria, and Serbia being countries who have at least qualified for a few tournaments in recent years. Beyond that though it just means about half a dozen extra spaces for total joke nations like Scotland.

There is also a case for more money and interest being generated for those countries that do not usually qualify. Such as Hungary, Latvia, Slovenia etc.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
6 groups of 4, same as the World Cup.
24 teams from Europe in the Finals ? Sheesh, it'll be practically impossible NOT to qualify.

The World Cup has 8 groups.

If it were only 6 groups of 4, then we would have to have the top two from each group and then the best four third placed teams.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There is also a case for more money and interest being generated for those countries that do not usually qualify. Such as Hungary, Latvia, Slovenia etc.

And in the process completely diluting the spectacle and quality of the tournament. I dread to think what kind of qualifying groups you'll need to cobble together to get 24 finalists.

It'll be a complete farce.

Oct 25, 2003
i know the world rankings mean little, but here are the top 24 european teams:

1. italy
2. spain
3. germany
4. czech rep
5. france
6. greece
7. england
8. netherlands
9. portugal
10. romania
11. croatia
12. scotland
13. bulgaria
14. turkey
15. israel
16. russia
17. norway
18. poland
19. sweden
20. ukraine
21. n. ireland
22. denmark
23. finland
24. serbia

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
But if they're totally useless on the pitch, what's the point?

The point is that they may well improve. It took New Zealand something like 30 years to win their first test match, now look at them! I know cricket and football are a different ball game, but the theory stands. Nations will improve over time if they are exposed on the big stage.

I always like to think that the various tournaments are not just about producing fantastic matches for those advanced nations. I want to see new teams involved, fans enjoying the tournament when they have had to endure years of being stuck on the sideline.

The previous World Cup was great with so many lesser African nations playing. I know that was due to respective slumps from the favourites, but it was superb for football in my opinion.

A romantic ideal, but I football is much more than just a game.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...but I bet England can manage not to qualify!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
And in the process completely diluting the spectacle and quality of the tournament. I dread to think what kind of qualifying groups you'll need to cobble together to get 24 finalists.

It'll be a complete farce.

Would it? Just because a nation is not expected to progress very far in the tournament, does not necessarily mean that the spectacle and quality will deteriorate. Some of the best games at World Cups and European Championships have involved inferior nations.

Should the decision be made on the potential of the spectacle? I very much doubt the whole of Europe are glued to their screens when England are on the box.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Which teams that AREN'T in this euros would, more often than not, actually have a team worthy of being there? Obviously there's us, and I guess you could make a case for Denmark, Bulgaria, and Serbia being countries who have at least qualified for a few tournaments in recent years. Beyond that though it just means about half a dozen extra spaces for total joke nations like Scotland.

Ireland, although our record of qualifying for the Euros is far worse recently than for the World Cup...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
16 is the perfect number, why do the powers have to interbloodyfere?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Pathetic decision.
The tournament will be cluttered up with absolute deadwood. Whats made this tournament in particular such a great spectacle is the quality of teams involved. Now there's going to be a load of complete no-hopers just there for autographs and shirt-swapping.

Typical UEFA f*** up. Expanding the Euros to 24 teams has NO merits whatsoever.
Except money.

Do you mean teams like Greece 4 years ago, or Turkey and russia this time around as no-hopers?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
But if they're totally useless on the pitch, what's the point?

Qualification is going to become so easy that even Steve McLaren might manage it.

Now your going too far, McClaren would have struggled to qualifiy if there were more places than eligable countries taking part.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
i know the world rankings mean little, but here are the top 24 european teams:

1. italy
2. spain
3. germany
4. czech rep
5. france
6. greece
7. england
8. netherlands
9. portugal
10. romania
11. croatia
12. scotland
13. bulgaria
14. turkey
15. israel
16. russia
17. norway
18. poland
19. sweden
20. ukraine
21. n. ireland
22. denmark
23. finland
24. serbia

How ironic that England are ranked higher than Holland or Portugal, and even Scotland are above Turkey and Russia
:lolol:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Good point, do the smaller countries that fail to qualify currently get any money from UEFA as a result of the Euro finals, such as a share of any profits UEFA makes?

If they currently don't get anything, by increasing numbers, it would help those countries to be able to invest in facilities to develop players in their country

For the first five Euro tournaments, there were only FOUR teams at the final stage. Then they had eight teams (for the next four tournaments). The last four tournaments have had sixteen finalists. I guess that logic says it should be more next time.

27 teams in total have reached the final stages at least once (Austria only because they were hosts).

Number of appearances at the final stages:-

West Germany / Germany 10
USSR / CIS / Russia 9
Netherlands 8
Spain 8
Czechoslovakia / Czech Republic 7
Denmark 7
England 7
France 7
Italy 7
Portugal 5
Yugoslavia 5