Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Europa leagu devalued...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
...now that Celtic, from the Scotch Monkey Tennis League (MTL) have been re-instated at the expense of the 4th best side in Switzerland, who have been booted out because the mhankies appealed on a technicality.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
never heard of the europa leagu :moo:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How can something without value be devalued...?
It's funny isn't it. I'd love Albion to be playing in Europe. I think it's a real shame that some Premiership clubs treat it like it's the Johnstone Paints trophy.

Oh and [MENTION=18794]seagullondon[/MENTION], well done. Comedy genius.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
It's funny isn't it. I'd love Albion to be playing in Europe. I think it's a real shame that some Premiership clubs treat it like it's the Johnstone Paints trophy.

Oh and [MENTION=18794]seagullondon[/MENTION], well done. Comedy genius.

thank you, it had to be done! :hilton: but yes i agree its such a shame clubs treat the Europa League as a second rate competition. If you ask Fulham fans their run to the final must have been the most exciting moments for them in the last few years! Spurs this year have not even put Van De Vaart in their squad and are using the competition to try out youngsters which I think is such a shame :shrug:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I heard somewhere that Sion plan to turn up anyway. That would be great if they did

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I heard somewhere that Sion plan to turn up anyway. That would be great if they did

Will they buy tickets for the stand or just turn up in their bus an hour ahead of Celtic and comandeer the away changing room? I'll bet Sky cover that in the hope there's a massive scuffle at the entrance between the two 'away' teams. That would be so funny.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
...now that Celtic, from the Scotch Monkey Tennis League (MTL) have been re-instated at the expense of the 4th best side in Switzerland, who have been booted out because the mhankies appealed on a technicality.

I know that I should stay away from this thread if I know what is good for me, however, this "technicality". That would be fielding 5 ineligible players. One of which scored the two deciding goals. Given that there are people on here who still think we should have taken West Ham's place in the FA Cup a few years back over Tevez, perhaps a bit dismissive? But feel free to respond with random shit about Scottish football!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Will they buy tickets for the stand or just turn up in their bus an hour ahead of Celtic and comandeer the away changing room? I'll bet Sky cover that in the hope there's a massive scuffle at the entrance between the two 'away' teams. That would be so funny.

I hope they get tickets for the front row, and are shown on camera a number of times in the build up, and as the ref is about to start the game they leap on to the pitch, in full kit, and cause a kerfuffle

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
thank you, it had to be done! :hilton: but yes i agree its such a shame clubs treat the Europa League as a second rate competition. If you ask Fulham fans their run to the final must have been the most exciting moments for them in the last few years! Spurs this year have not even put Van De Vaart in their squad and are using the competition to try out youngsters which I think is such a shame :shrug:

That's because when Redknapp had to submit his squad for the group stages, Van De Vaart's injury seemed worse than it actually turned out to be. Meaning he'd have missed the first 4 games, therefore no point putting him in the squad.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I know that I should stay away from this thread if I know what is good for me, however, this "technicality". That would be fielding 5 ineligible players. One of which scored the two deciding goals. Given that there are people on here who still think we should have taken West Ham's place in the FA Cup a few years back over Tevez, perhaps a bit dismissive? But feel free to respond with random shit about Scottish football!

Celtic are dreadful.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
They fielded a number of players they were not allowed 2, don't see the issue

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Fair points, but you're still only through on a technicality - and lets face it those five players were probably not on a par with Rooney, Messi, Kaka, etc. At the end of the day Celtic were knocked out of the qualifying round for Europe's second club competition by a load of Swiss part-timers who sound like a girls' convent school. The fact they fielded some players who might have been League One standard as opposed to League Two is almost irrelevant - it was still an intensely embarrassing result.

So I'm afraid you're just going to have to take the jibes about the shitness of Scottish football on the chin. The fact that Celtic, former European Cup winners, have been reduced to this level says something about the game north of the border - and it isn't complimentary.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Fair points, but you're still only through on a technicality - and lets face it those five players were probably not on a par with Rooney, Messi, Kaka, etc. At the end of the day Celtic were knocked out of the qualifying round for Europe's second club competition by a load of Swiss part-timers who sound like a girls' convent school. The fact they fielded some players who might have been League One standard as opposed to League Two is almost irrelevant - it was still an intensely embarrassing result.

So I'm afraid you're just going to have to take the jibes about the shitness of Scottish football on the chin. The fact that Celtic, former European Cup winners, have been reduced to this level says something about the game north of the border - and it isn't complimentary.

I agree about the fact it would have been better to win and not go through this way, and the state of Scottish football regarding European competition.

However - this team are in absolutely no way part timers. The Swiss league is not Andorra or Wales. But anyway, like I said, not debating the strength of Celtic or Scottish football. Simply stating that if you play ineligible players you are out of a tournament. This has always been the case in any tournament that I can think of.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Hate Scottish football all it does is divert attention away from the Championship which is a far better, and much more competitive league. I reckon we could beat both Celtic and Rangers without breaking sweat, maybee if this Vicente guy's any good!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
To my mind, most of those who knock the Europa League really don't have much understanding or feel for football outside of the top four. There are only a handful of clubs (half a dozen at most) who can justifiably feel that it is beneath them.. Spurs, as it happens, are not one but seem to think they are.

Many countries in Europe who are not blinded by the Premier League hype we suffer here take it seriously. Those that argue it has no value perhaps ought to talk to Andre Villas-Boas who landed the Chelsea job off the back of winning it, or David De Gea and Sergio Aguero who enhanced their reputations through it, or Steve McClaren who got the England job because of it, or Bobby Zamora who would have gone to the World Cup but for injury because of his performances in it. To name but a few.

UEFA could help things by giving the winners a place in the Champions League and changing the over-long format, but I'd be delighted to see Albion in it one day, no doubt about that at all.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Shame we'll never go back to the 3 European Competitions. European Cup, Cup Winners Cup and Uefa Cup, NONE of these competitions were ever treated as not important.

In the last ten years or so, the UEFA Cup was treated just as contemptuously by English clubs. Notably Bolton, who fielded a reserve team when they had a real chance of getting to the Final so that they could concentrate on a match with West Brom (which they lost). And by O'Neill at Villa who pissed away their great chance of going all the way by fielding the reserves so that he could concentrate on finishing in the top four. A ploy which back-fired as it pissed off the fans, who then watched the team's form slump for the rest of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here