Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro Elections...Use your vote

Who are/would you vote for next Thursday?

• Labour

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Tory

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Lib Dem

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Green

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • BNP(Ergh)!

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • UK Independent Party

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shanks

Sep 30, 2003
Harlow
I'm changing my usual vote for this one, and going for the Easter region's representatives of a ginger, Scottish wino.

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
Arthur said:
Tell me then, what are the greens going to do for our country? Why should I put my tick in their box rather than anyone else?
The one thing we know that the Greens will do and that is stop Falmer,they are dead against it, stay at Withdean they say.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I think there are too many paranoid fears of a "super-state"

The EU in whatever form it takes will always have a limited scope. I don't think that there's even a remote chance of imposing uniform taxation or any sort of foreign policy on member countries, given their responsiblity to the electorate.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The one thing we know that the Greens will do and that is stop Falmer,they are dead against it, stay at Withdean they say.

I have been a member of the Green Party, but the above attitude (which I found in other "green" groups too) means they won't be getting my vote.

I'll probably vote Liberal. They've had in their party many individuals who've not been good for B&HA (to put it mildly) but being against the ground is not party policy.

I also don't think considering UKIP supporters as proto-BNP is a sensible attitude. I suspect many people will vote UKIP in the Euro elections as it is a good protest vote, that won't really change anything, but will annoy the current government (something I'd also like to do). People won't vote the same in the general election.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Nice to see the same old crap being typed about the UKIP without any evidence.

*** Awaits another post of out of date material supporting the lies ***

Strange how if you're even slightly right wing you're scum of the earth but if you're left wing then you're the saviour of the planet.

No ones mentioned that Labour have just agreed to tax, defence and immigration being controlled by the EU in the future .... no European Superstate - my arse !!!!

We need out right now !

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Are the UKIP right wing or just people who see self determination as an important principle? They seem much more reasonable than most of the mainstream parties to me.

It quite interesting that people who don't want to be part of a massive fascist superstate are being called extremists though. Presumably, if you differ on a yes/no issue you are an extremist like the Liberals and Greens over Falmer.

Dandyman

In London village.
chip said:
Are the UKIP right wing or just people who see self determination as an important principle? They seem much more reasonable than most of the mainstream parties to me.

It quite interesting that people who don't want to be part of a massive fascist superstate are being called extremists though. Presumably, if you differ on a yes/no issue you are an extremist like the Liberals and Greens over Falmer.

A Party that says it wants to end "mass" immigration (which does not actually exist) and which makes a song and dance about feedom from political correctness (because we are all so oppressed by not calling people "niggers" "queers" or "kikes") seems pretty right-wing to me.

Dandyman

In London village.
Arthur said:
Prey tell why if we don't want our country run by Brussels why we are Nazis?

Would you care to expand on your political beliefs to the nice ladies and gentlemen ?

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
Arthur said:
Tell me then, what are the greens going to do for our country? Why should I put my tick in their box rather than anyone else?

They're trying to stop short-sighted Governments and industries burning great big holes in the sky that will one day kill us all. Is that not important enough for our country or you?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Dandyman said:
Would you care to expand on your political beliefs to the nice ladies and gentlemen ?

Why? What difference does it make what side of the political spectrum I'm on?

I was simply asking the other chap a question following his rather controversial comments.

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Westdene Seagull said:

Strange how if you're even slightly right wing you're scum of the earth but if you're left wing then you're the saviour of the planet.

There nothing strange about that.

Voroshilov said:
There nothing strange about that.
Well, the thing is, it is cool and trendy to be left-wing, but you're anti-social, a bigot, ill-informed, and treated as pond-life if you're right wing.

That's how it works isn't it? Or is that just the attitude of the sandle-wearing Guardianistas shacked up in their Islington flats?

<slap on wrist> stop being so stereotypical :rolleyes:

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I would normally vote Labour but I'm not going to until we get Falmer. If the f*** around like this for so bloody long over a football stadium , how can they be trusted to run the country?

Green seems like a fairly good place to lodge a protest vote to me.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One thing I do find strange is a party with every intention of pulling the UK out of the EU putting up candidates for the very thing they fundamentally disagree with.

The argument of fighting the fight from within holds no water. What would they do as MEPs? Try and wreck it? It's like a Brighton fan joining the Crsytal Palace supporters' club. To what end? It only seeks to complete a self-fulfilling prophecy that the EU is bad/wrong and the UK shouldn't be part of it, mainly because it doesn't work.

Anyway, irrespective of whether the UKIP does well or not, no mainstream or coalition UK government is going to pull us out of the European Union, even if the majority of the population want us to. The UK is far too intergrated with the economic, social and political intricacies to go it alone. We just couldn't afford to re-start our economy from such a move.

Joining the Euro is a different argument altogether.

The Large One said:
One thing I do find strange is a party with every intention of pulling the UK out of the EU putting up candidates for the very thing they fundamentally disagree with.

The argument of fighting the fight from within holds no water. What would they do as MEPs? Try and wreck it? It's like a Brighton fan joining the Crsytal Palace supporters' club. To what end? It only seeks to complete a self-fulfilling prophecy that the EU is bad/wrong and the UK shouldn't be part of it, mainly because it doesn't work.

Anyway, irrespective of whether the UKIP does well or not, no mainstream or coalition UK government is going to pull us out of the European Union, even if the majority of the population want us to. The UK is far too intergrated with the economic, social and political intricacies to go it alone. We just couldn't afford to re-start our economy from such a move.

Joining the Euro is a different argument altogether.
There is no reason to go any further into it though. In fact I think we've already gone too far in.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Mr C said:
Well, the thing is, it is cool and trendy to be left-wing, but you're anti-social, a bigot, ill-informed, and treated as pond-life if you're right wing.

That's how it works isn't it? Or is that just the attitude of the sandle-wearing Guardianistas shacked up in their Islington flats?

<slap on wrist> stop being so stereotypical :rolleyes:

or *slap wrist* stop reading Richard Littlejohn and using all his shite onliners?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Kent Seagull said:
I would normally vote Labour but I'm not going to until we get Falmer. If the f*** around like this for so bloody long over a football stadium , how can they be trusted to run the country?

Green seems like a fairly good place to lodge a protest vote to me.

To place a protest vote about John Prescott not giving us Falmer YET is somewhat ludicrous.

This is not a party political matter. Under ANY government, Labour or Tory, it is the civil servants who deliberate over this. They, in a non-partisan way, send a recommendation to the ODPM, or whatever office/department is relevant, THEN the government minister decides. The final decision may well have a political connotation to it. However, there is still one final consultation process still going on with this. The deadline is next Wednesday 9 June. This means that it is impossible that Prescott will decide Falmer's fate before the elections.

What I am 100% certain of is, because of their housing and planning policies, if we still had a Tory government, this Falmer issue would already be dead by now. (Don't forget the Tories are STRONGLY opposed to the South Downs National Park mainly through planning issues.) With Labour, and especially Prescott's attitude to NIMBYism, I believe a YES decision is less than 3 weeks away.

To underline, it is civil servants, who will take all the time they feel like taking, who have meant that the process has taken this long, not the government.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Mr C said:
There is no reason to go any further into it though. In fact I think we've already gone too far in.

That's a separate argument from pulling out altogether.

I am not keen on certain Europe-wide policies, mainly because we have a strong economy at present (e.g. harmonising taxes and interest rates would be detrimental to the UK, and Gordon Brown is fighting - and winning - this argument.) Personally, I love the freedom of being able to move around Europe in a way that we could not 10-15 years ago. To pull out would mean losing this right, and losing a lot of advantages we currently enjoy over France and Germany.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The main thing is that you do actually exercise your democratic right and use your vote. There's too many whingers who don't bother to vote, then complain about those that are elected.

Lib Dem for me, although I think there are three candidates in my ward so may tick one box for the Greens.

I support the EU and am sad that we didn't commit earlier, thereby making it much more Brit-friendly at the outset.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here