Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] EURO 2024 Matchday 13 (Slovakia v Romania, Ukraine v Belgium, Czech Rep v Turkey, Georgia v Portugal)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For all the "Ukraine have been very unlucky to go out on four points" with Lineker stating that "the system is flawed", they've still finished bottom of a group of four. No system of any merit would see them progressing.

Midget

Amexgemeinschaftsstadionhallebierschluckerinchen
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
For all the "Ukraine have been very unlucky to go out on four points" with Lineker stating that "the system is flawed", they've still finished bottom of a group of four. No system of any merit would see them progressing.
I think they're a bit unlucky to go out with 4 points when at least 2 teams, maybe more, go through with 3 (and it could even have been 2 points going through at one stage). It's a screwy format :shrug:

I don't think it's unlucky they finished bottom of this group though, especially with Belgium being so disappointing. All told they weren't good enough over 3 games - I think the 3-0 to Romania did for them tbh, always uphill from there.

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Top 3 is a bit Mickey Mouse, not real jeopardy for most the teams.

However, Not sure how else you could do it

4 groups of 6?
With top 4 going through. How many fixtures though? You'd have to do what they're doing with Europa this year and not have everyone play everyone in the group, or you'd still be playing in August.

For a straight 'top 2' you'd need 8 groups of 3. But always one sitting out in the group stages while the other 2 play.

Or just use a sensible number of teams. 16 or 32.

Anything else, you'll always get 'lucky losers'.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I didn't know Notyetdecided had qualified let alone made the second phase.

Is this one of those new countries after the Yugoslavian break up ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just had a small wager on Georgia to beat Poland @ 8/1. They've been tenacious little buggers in both their games so far, and Portugal are already through so won't be inclined to bust a gut, I'd have thought

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Just had a small wager on Georgia to beat Poland @ 8/1. They've been tenacious little buggers in both their games so far, and Portugal are already through so won't be inclined to bust a gut, I'd have thought
Just did the same with a free bet. I've really liked watching them so far.

Although I bet on them to beat Portugal - couldn't get odds on their next game with Poland... :wink:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
What a start for Georgia!

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Betting on them to beat Poland seems like a bad bet at any odds. Since even if Georgia do advance, Poland have already been eliminated...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The fans who whistle every time the other team get the ball. Slovenia fans were doing it yesterday and now the Turkey fans are doing the same. It's annoying and tinpot.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Put all teams that aren't first or second in a table and pick the top 4? Would put Ukraine ahead of Slovenia and Hungry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here