Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2012

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
With not much hype about the tournament and I guess most people think we (England) won't win it or even do well. I have a sneaky suspicion that this will bode well for us as there really is no pressure unlike previous tournaments. Thoughts ?

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Yup the lower expectations could work in our advantage. Not an easy group but by no means beyond our capability and if Hodgson goes for a youthful, attacking side who knows. Be interesting what qualifies as success for Roy in this tournament, getting out the groups? Semi's? It is quite bizarre going in with a seemingly low bar for a change.

As a side note, being i'm sure it'll happen on this thread, I'm bored of people saying "I don't care about England, not bothered about this tournament, I've not watched an England for 2 years" blah blah blah. Almost seems the cool and popular thing to do and say now. They might be useless, over-paid underachievers but they're our useless, over-paid underachievers.

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
Not gonna allow myself to get carried away, been there too many times before and they always let me down. Doesn't mean I won't be fully behind them though. Think I'll be reserving judgement on this one.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As a side note, being i'm sure it'll happen on this thread, I'm bored of people saying "I don't care about England, not bothered about this tournament, I've not watched an England for 2 years" blah blah blah. Almost seems the cool and popular thing to do and say now. They might be useless, over-paid underachievers but they're our useless, over-paid underachievers.
The team need to give the public a reason not to think like that, surely?

People get fed up with people like Rooney threatening to walk out of his club unless he's paid a million a month and then playing like a cünt for England, let alone the absolute arse wipes like John Terry.

Hopefully Hodgson with a new broom will encourage them to play well and not pick some of the past-it pricks being groomed for being Lineker and Shearer's next golfing buddies.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

People get fed up with people like Rooney threatening to walk out of his club unless he's paid a million a month and then playing like a cünt for England, let alone the absolute arse wipes like John Terry.

Hopefully Hodgson with a new broom will encourage them to play well and not pick some of the past-it pricks being groomed for being Lineker and Shearer's next golfing buddies.

Indeed. Whilst Roy was a surprise choice, although he's done nothing yet, the more I think about it, the more I like the choice of him as manager - though if he picks Terry today, that'll be blown out of the water and I probably wouldn't watch the matches.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008

No doubt almost the majority now in the England squad are an unlikeable bunch and as individuals some of their behaviour is deplorable BUT the idea that it's popular to see England fail annoys me to an equal degree as Rooney being a prick. You'll find no harsher critic of John Terry than me, he disgusts me as a person and yes I would prefer it if he wasn't in the squad but if he is then for each 90 minutes of the tournament I'll suck it up and hope he does well.

It's the smug attitude of those people who say "I hope we lose, I'm not bothered anyway" that irritates me, knowing full well if we get into a semi's or even a final they would be watching it like the rest of us.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Just wait till the squad is announced later on today then tomorrow The Sun will give its battle cry of "this is the best group of English players EVER". Cue a free Mars bar, a plastic St George's hat and some World War I and II references.

I can barely contain myself.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This is the first tournament in my life time that I genuinely think that we have no chance of winning. Always before, I thought we had a chance.

Could that mean???

No, probably not.

Please leave JT at home, Roy, The nation would unite behind you if you did (apart from Chelsea fans, but nobody gives a shit about them).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
With not much hype about the tournament and I guess most people think we (England) won't win it or even do well. I have a sneaky suspicion that this will bode well for us as there really is no pressure unlike previous tournaments. Thoughts ?

I can't wait. I'm really REALLY looking forward to it. I can't explain why. I think it is partly due to the lower expectations.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Spot on all day long. Proper fashionable bollocks.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Honestly couldn't be happier with Roy in charge. I just hope we don't see the same old players causing trouble again. I'm sure he'll do well if he pick his own team and not what has been the norm for the last 5 years!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I can't wait for it, it's an excuse to get pissed and have BBQ's.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Just wait till the squad is announced later on today then tomorrow The Sun will give its battle cry of "this is the bwestest gwoup of English pwayers EVER". Cue a free Mars bar, a plastic St George's hat and some World War I and II references.

I can barely contain myself.

The Sun you say, corrected that for you

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Not even really thought about The Euros till now, quite looking forward to it all of a sudden. Expect England to do absolutely nothing so anything more than that will be a bonus, looking forward to watching some quality football.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
This is the first tournament in my life time that I genuinely think that we have no chance of winning. Always before, I thought we had a chance.

Could that mean???

No, probably not.

Please leave JT at home, Roy, The nation would unite behind you if you did (apart from Chelsea fans, but nobody gives a shit about them).

Agree. And Downing on account of his being complete pony.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think we will do well. Don't think we will win it but i would be happy to get to the semi's
France are better than us, we never beat Sweden (well, once in about 50 years) and Ukraine are hosts and home advantage is always huge in these tournaments.

Slim chance of us finishing in the top 2, IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here