Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2004 commentators

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
Watched Greece v Spain today. Did not get the commentator's name but I thought he was very good. Concise with no wasted verbiage. Worst I've heard is Martin Tyler, who prattles on and on trying to impress with his football knowledge which I'm sure is all typed out and right at hand in the broadcast booth. If he doesn't intend to commentate, why doesn't he just shut up. Anyone remember Kenneth Wostenholme. An absolute master.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i cant remember who it was but who ever was commentating on the portugal russia game was crap

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
The worst by a considerable margin so far is Clive Tyldesley. He makes Motson look neutral. He really was abysmal during the France game. I fear for you guys if he's commentating tonight. He is a past master at pride before a fall. I think the commentator for Greece v Spain was Steve Wilson. He is quite good.

The master is Barry Davies. He is pure class. How this cult of Motson has grown is beyond me. Davies is soooooooo much better.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Clive Tysley or something like that is a nob

Bring back David Coleman.

BTW What ever happened to David Coleman? I hope he is alright:(

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Did anyone catch the guy doing the commentary last night on Portugal vs Russia going on about "when England beat Switzerland and Croatia, they'll have to come against a side from this group" and "when we beat France in the final"? Plank. Why oh why is ITV handling tonights game? Hopefully someone will wake up Bobby Robson this time.

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
Peter Drury and David Pleat are the worst commentators by a mile.

Drury sounds like a poor mans Alan Partridge and as for Pleat, well he's just a :censored:

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
and the best pundit?

got to be wrighty course.

edited cos i can't spell 'best'.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
steve wilson is the one i think. barry davies is quality! he just gives a frank view on what is happening which is the best way.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Jambo Seagull said:
The master is Barry Davies. He is pure class. How this cult of Motson has grown is beyond me. Davies is soooooooo much better.
Agreed. And Jonathan Pearce has got much, much better since he left Channel 5/ Captial Gold and moved to 5-live.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Legend said:
Peter Drury and David Pleat are the worst commentators by a mile.

Drury sounds like a poor mans Alan Partridge and as for Pleat, well he's just a :censored:
thats who was commentating on the portugal v russia game drury and pleat absolutely crap cheers legend

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
Motson was appalling for the first Spainish game with his pronunciation of the names, even Mick MacCarthy was handling them better than him which is a sign of how bad things are.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
whoever commentated on the Russia game yesterday was amusing i thought.

Everytime the Russians got the ball out of defence he used the expression they have 'Smuggled' it away ! :)
For some reason i found that funny !

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
Hey Trueblue, Martin Tyler IS commentating Euro 2004 on TSN {The Sports Network} Canada.
The England game was on at noon over here on Fox Sports. a channel which I do not get up here in the wilderness, but TSN is rebroadcasting it in twenty minutes at 3pm. I will try and make note of the commentator.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I'm not a Barry Davies fan - on 5Live, all he does is bang ON and ON about how bad the referees are, ALL game, to the great detriment of the commentary, which is a shame given he's a fairly decent commentator

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ever since someone pointed out how annoying Clive Tyldesley is, I've really noticed it, and he's been getting on my nerves immensely.

Last night's game was a masterpiece of his stating the obvious...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here