Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU plays trump card and win millions of brits over to the European cause

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
I can think of very few areas where EU membership has caused the UK anything but an advantage, the former CAP being a possible exception. It does seem that whenever a new policy is first announced, the standard tabloid response is to scaremonger, when in reality we all benefit.

Persuing an isolationist agenda is totally unrealistic as we are already too highly integrated. Any attempts by parties such as UKIP to restrict the free movement of labour and goods would be incredibly harmful to the countrys economy.

Whats just a pity is that when we go and buy our cheap booze we have to effectively pay a surcharge by changin money into euros.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The Large One said:
Anger and bitterness from the French Canadians who crave independence.

I doubt that, British Columbia could have just as easily ended up being a part of the USA as Canada, they received offers from both countrys to join them. They ended up plumping for Canada, and Britain and France ended up with joint sovereignty of the lot.

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Eastleigh Seagull said:
but surely these actions by the Customs Officials only came with the ending of duty free - an EU policy i thought?

No, cos you can still buy duty free if you you're travelling to a non-EU country. It was just the end to the minor pleasure that was duty free beer and fags on the Dieppe ferry. It's cheaper if you get it there anyway.

I think the smash-and-grab of booze cruisers was down to customs officers being a) employed and needing something to do; b) having a nice sideline in flogging confiscated booze and fags. Allegedly.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
fatbadger said:
That's as daft a comment as the one you are responding to.

We are now, as we have been for centuries, part of political Europe. As a result, we have been involved in most of Europe's wars - being one of the more powerful of the European states, we have been almost inevitably drawn in to them all (in fact, we started quite a lot of them).

The idea that Europe is "they" is just stupid; WE are part of Europe.

Agreed. But 3gulls was responding to my comment about Europe being at war for 500 years. How was that a daft comment?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
fatbadger said:

The idea that Europe is "they" is just stupid; WE are part of Europe.

That's because people refuse to use the correct terminology.

Europe is a continent of countries which Britian has no choice but to belong to as it is a geographical grouping.

The European Union is a club of countries within Europe. We as a country have a choice of belonging to this union.

I just wish people would stop using the words Europe and EU to mean the same thing - THEY DON'T !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here