Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eriksson - Please, just **** off NOW

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bluejuice said:
I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm LIVID with Sven's selection but the striker thing is a desperate blow.

Rooney will not be anywhere near match fitness until the very end of the tournament at the earliest. Owen is struggling and should have been playing by now. Walcott has NEVER played a top flight match and I'm prepared to give Crouch a chance BUT that's not enough to take us through.

If Owen isn't fit for the start of the tournament who are we going to play? Crouch on his own? The whole argument for Crouch was that he was so good for Owen or A N Other striker, not as a lone front man. And the idea that we could play Walcott beggars belief.

As I recall Joe Cole was touted as the next big thing for many a year when he was a mere teenager. However, he didn't get capped for England until he was 20, and even then had to wait almost a year for his next cap. Granted, he's an integral part of the team now and I think he's a great player BUT he wasn't cutting it at the highest level despite all his promise and hype and it took him several years before he made it to the level he's at now.

So why is Walcott any different? Yes he's raved about, and yes he's surely got great potential but what exactly has he done to warrant a world cup place at this time?

Sorry but whilst I'm all for taking a gamble on a good prospect I really can't see the benefit in neglecting proven goalscorers in favour of a very young, inexperienced and totally untested teenage striker. To win your first cap before you've even played for your club, having been fit and available for a good many months now, is totally ludicrous.

I'd love to be proved wrong but say Owen doesn't make it and Crouch picks up an injury mid way through the first game. We are suddenly relying on a totally untesteed teenager to lead the front line.

Just can't see the sense in it.

Fringe gamble maybe, but we don't have spare places up for grabs in our strikeforce because our first choice pairing are injured. We need more options, not to pin our hopes on a player most of us have never seen.
THAT sir, is the best post on this thread, and the most sensible thing I've read on the subject.

The only thing I'd disagree with is not being livid. I am BEYOND livid at this selection. And gutted as well.

Last edited:

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
All this about strikers, how could sven not include Ledley King, who i think should be in the 23

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Stevie_boy said:
All this about strikers, how could sven not include Ledley King, who i think should be in the 23
I think he was unlucky, but we're blessed with some good centrebacks, and we've also got a couple of players who can play that holding midfield role. As Ledleys also recovering from injury, I think Sven was right to leave him out. We've got the cover, and the last thing we need yet ANOTHER crock fighting to be fit in time.

He'll get another chance.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Easy 10 said:
THAT sir, is the best post on this thread, and the most sensible thing I've read on the subject.

You know your wife will never understand you like I do Easy...

:love:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Robinson
James
Green

Neville
Carragher
Terry
Ferdinand
King
A.Cole
Bridge

SWP
Lennon
Carrick
Beckham
Lampard
Gerrard
J.Cole
Downing

Rooney
Owen
Bent
Defoe
Ashton

Stand bys
Carson, Dawson, Nolan, Barton, Crouch

Would play;

Robinson
Neville Ferdinand Terry A.Cole
Carrick
Beckham Lampard Gerrard
J.Cole
Owen

SWP, Lennon or Downing could be bought on to play on the wings or behind the front man if needed.

Last edited:

The fact that he has only picked four strikers indicates to me that he is probably thinking of playing 4-3-3 in the early stages, with either Crouch, Walcott or Owen as the main striker and Joey C and Lennon in support.

Just imagine Walcott, Lennon and Cole tearing into some creaky ageing back four with skill and pace. That sounds exciting to me.

Either Rooney or Owen are bound to miss out on the final 23 (they could be replaced by someone on the standby list as late as 9th June), so Defoe will probably travel anyway.

Dunno what everyone's getting so worked up about to be honest. I'd have picked 5 strikers with Defoe instead of Owen Hargreaves, but other than that Sven is pretty much spot on.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
People keep going on about creaky old defences and how Walcott will roast them. What a load of bullshit. Do people really think the Italian or Dutch or Spanish or Argentinian or German defences aren't experienced enough to deal with it. He is a great talent but he needs experience before he takes on the likes of Nesta, Puyol, Stam etc...

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Are people forgetting that you can replace a player up to 24 hours before the first game. If Owen doesn't get to play in the friendlies maybe he'll be dropped. If Walcott plays badly in the friendlies maybe they'll bring Defoe in.

Oct 17, 2003
Hove, East Sussex
they can only be replaced if they have an injury reported to FIFA! so cant be pulled on performance only...

i just hope Johnson doesnt scrape it... average Championship/Low Prem striker making it will be awful... Bent, Beattie, Harewood.... even Bobby before him please..

oh and he is Palace scum ;)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Chesney Christ 1 said:
The fact that he has only picked four strikers indicates to me that he is probably thinking of playing 4-3-3 in the early stages, with either Crouch, Walcott or Owen as the main striker and Joey C and Lennon in support.

Just imagine Walcott, Lennon and Cole tearing into some creaky ageing back four with skill and pace. That sounds exciting to me.
I think thats got more than the rose-tint about it. There won't be too many "creaking aging back 4's" in this tournament, and expecting two uncapped players, one of whom hasn't even played a 1st team game, to start tearing teams up is EXTREMELY fanciful. This is reality, not some tacky poorly scripted movie.

The squad, as it stands, is probably best set for 5 in midfield. Carrick holding, with with a lone striker up front closely supporterd by Lampard/Gerrard. Beckham and Cole on the flanks. The lone striker is obviously not going to be Rooney, so we've got to pray that Owen is somehow fit. If not, then we are SEVERELY in the shit with this squad. Crouch is not suited to
ploughing a lone furrow on his own, and as for the other kiddy....well, it doesn't really bear thinking about.

This squad has DISASTER printed all over it, in big red letters. No two ways about it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bluejuice said:
You know your wife will never understand you like I do Easy...

:love:
I'm just glad SOMEONE understands me

;)

Les Biehn said:
People keep going on about creaky old defences and how Walcott will roast them. What a load of bullshit. Do people really think the Italian or Dutch or Spanish or Argentinian or German defences aren't experienced enough to deal with it. He is a great talent but he needs experience before he takes on the likes of Nesta, Puyol, Stam etc...

Bit like a rookie lad called Michael Owen, who skinned the vastly experienced Argentinian defender Roberto Ayala to score one of the best World Cup goals of all time in 1998 (and won us a penalty in the same game).

Please tell me how much European or International experience he had before he did that................?

Oct 17, 2003
Hove, East Sussex
Easy 10 - you stated that SWP should go regardless of him not playing, fair point but can you have him and Lennon in the same squad? both similar players but Lennon gets the nod cause of pace and form... regardless of SWP ability he isnt playing and that has to say something!

Also Jenas has had a solid season at Spurs, 6-7 goals and gives us options! I personally feel he has made a brave decision with that squad and gives us so many options! thats what we need, not a standard 4-4-2 game in and out... its full of pace and attacking football which is a good basis to take into the World Cup

Easy 10 said:
I think thats got more than the rose-tint about it. There won't be too many "creaking aging back 4's" in this tournament, and expecting two uncapped players, one of whom hasn't even played a 1st team game, to start tearing teams up is EXTREMELY fanciful. This is reality, not some tacky poorly scripted movie.

The squad, as it stands, is probably best set for 5 in midfield. Carrick holding, with with a lone striker up front closely supporterd by Lampard/Gerrard. Beckham and Cole on the flanks. The lone striker is obviously not going to be Rooney, so we've got to pray that Owen is somehow fit. If not, then we are SEVERELY in the shit with this squad. Crouch is not suited to
ploughing a lone furrow on his own, and as for the other kiddy....well, it doesn't really bear thinking about.

This squad has DISASTER printed all over it, in big red letters. No two ways about it.

I would be amazed if both Rooney and Owen go. Defoe will replace one of them before it starts, for certain.

Chopper West

Dec 9, 2004
Calm down Easy, Defoe is not even first choice for Spurs, so he is not going to win the WC for us. Darren Bent is ten times worse than Defoe. If Rooney is injured then Defoe will go, or we will play 4-3-2-1 and Crouch is very good at that.

SWP is a very average player, I have seen him look good at City for a couple of years in a mediocre squad, but he has been shown up at Chelsea this season.

Lennon is on fire, give him a chance.

France won the WC in 1998, and who was their centre forward for the final games..........G'uivarch, who makes Trolley look sophisticated.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
He had none, but he had been playing week in week out in a team that had vast European experience, let alone an excellent premiership pedigree.

I'd love Walcott to come in and set the world alight, really I would, but look at the facts. HE HAS NOT PLAYED EVEN A MINUTE for the Arsenal first team in all the time he's been there.

How can he be an international?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Chesney Christ 1 said:
Bit like a rookie lad called Michael Owen, who skinned the vastly experienced Argentinian defender Roberto Ayala to score one of the best World Cup goals of all time in 1998 (and won us a penalty in the same game).

Please tell me how much European or International experience he had before he did that................?
He had at LEAST a season of Premiership football under his belt at Liverpool (may even have been Prem top scorer that season I think). He also had several England caps, and had played in Europe for Liverpool.

Enough ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gary Stevens Neighbour said:
Easy 10 - you stated that SWP should go regardless of him not playing, fair point but can you have him and Lennon in the same squad? both similar players but Lennon gets the nod cause of pace and form... regardless of SWP ability he isnt playing and that has to say something!
No, I wouldn't take Lennon and SWP in the squad. Personally I'd just about lean towards SWP as he has some England experience, and is an explosive player to have come off the bench. Having said that, Lennon by all accounts has had a fine season as well, so I wouldn't have a serious problem with him going instead. Theres not a lot in it for me.
Also Jenas has had a solid season at Spurs, 6-7 goals and gives us options! I personally feel he has made a brave decision with that squad and gives us so many options! thats what we need, not a standard 4-4-2 game in and out... its full of pace and attacking football which is a good basis to take into the World Cup [/B]
Sorry, but every time I've seen Jenas he has been utter gash. I can see NO justification for taking him to Germany.

E

enigma

Withdean Wanderer said:
Oh yes, we are arguing about squad players - Neville failed to stop one of the best players in the world at the time. Criminal:dunce:

Seriously, Neville is solid 99% of the time, wheras Hargreaves offers no physical presence, his tackling is average, his passing weak, and he's not an attacking midfielder.

I just can't understand WHY you would want to pick him. I'd even rather have Nicky Butt in the squad - at least he has a purpose as a holding midfielder.

Rui Costa one of the best in the world in 2004? I think not. He couldnt even get in the Milan team, Kaka is miles better than him. He stopped being good in 2002 really.

If Hargreaves is all of those things, how does he get in the Bayern team? He is miles better than Nicky Butt is now- he is so shit that Newcastle loaned him out, and he has hardly set the world alight at Birmingham (relegated).

I'll say it again and again- how often do you watch Hargreaves play IN HIS NATURAL POSITION FOR 90 MINUTES ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here