Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Eric ten Hag is safe.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
After Review?? sounds like a school report - Must Try Harder

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think this is a poor decision and Man Utd fans will rue this day.

The FA Cup win has been given too much importance. They have been way off in the Premier League and ETH has not imposed any discernible style upon this team - compare that to the instant effect the likes of Klopp, De Zerbi and Postecoglou managed to get out of their squads.

I feel sorry for Pochettino who would have been a good fit and who really got Chelsea playing some great attacking football in the final 15 matches of the Prem season.

Great news for Dortmund fans re Sancho too. What must he be thinking, especially seeing his England career in tatters?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think you can make a decent case to both sack or keep Ten Hag. Generally I think they've been pretty poor over both seasons he's been manager and recruitment has been really poor but there are enough extenuating circumstances to say that he's had his hands tied and hasn't been able to fully show what he's capable of. I imagine he needs to hit the ground running next season though. If they continue in the same vein as last season he'll be gone by Christmas.

I can't believe the cup win had much effect on him keeping his job. He was a mililetre from losing the semi final to a championship side after being 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
My personal view (possibly unpopular) is that he’s won silverware in consecutive seasons, which is (I believe) more than any other manager in the PL except Pep Guardiola and the departed Jurgen Klopp has managed recently.

Recruitment has been poor, but that’s as much the club’s fault as the coaches. He’s done enough to be given a chance with the new people in place in the boardroom.

He’s going to have to finish inside the top four going forward to keep his job, but that’s what managing a club like Manchester United entails. Like others, I kind of hope that he does well this season and takes a job elsewhere, his treatment has been pretty disrespectful.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
If I had been him, I would have resigned honourably before now since the position with the players had become untenable. The whole world knew he was due for the sack… or so it was said and Man U did nothing to quash that .
I would then have sued fo constructive dismissal and got millions.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I think you can make a decent case to both sack or keep Ten Hag. Generally I think they've been pretty poor over both seasons he's been manager and recruitment has been really poor but there are enough extenuating circumstances to say that he's had his hands tied and hasn't been able to fully show what he's capable of. I imagine he needs to hit the ground running next season though. If they continue in the same vein as last season he'll be gone by Christmas.

I can't believe the cup win had much effect on him keeping his job. He was a mililetre from losing the semi final to a championship side after being 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go.
Shades of Alex Ferguson back in 1990. Within minutes of Man Utd losing to Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup they survive and go on to win the final. Had that not happened Fergie would have been shown the door. The rest is history, and, I hope that history is not repeated with Ten Hag.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Man u are dire to watch. And they're one of the biggest spending team in the league over the last few seasons. Tenny has had a big hand in some of those transfers (Antony springs to mind).

Fair play they've won 2 trophies but I don't see them pulling up any trees in the near future. They got very lucky city were still on the piss on fa cup final day.

.....and I just noticed they finished 8th which is absolutely pathetic their lowest finish in 30.years. I don't think even solsykaer finished under 5th.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
My personal view (possibly unpopular) is that he’s won silverware in consecutive seasons, which is (I believe) more than any other manager in the PL except Pep Guardiola and the departed Jurgen Klopp has managed recently.

Recruitment has been poor, but that’s as much the club’s fault as the coaches. He’s done enough to be given a chance with the new people in place in the boardroom.

He’s going to have to finish inside the top four going forward to keep his job, but that’s what managing a club like Manchester United entails. Like others, I kind of hope that he does well this season and takes a job elsewhere, his treatment has been pretty disrespectful.
When mourinho said his biggest achievement was getting utd to 2nd in the prem league, people laughed at him. All evidence points (yet again) to him being right.

Also in his 1st season he won 2 trophies (the only man utd manager to do that)

ETH fares not badly against that record as the club is more of a basketcase now than then

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Gone by Christmas

Most likely.

The bit I find most amazing in this absolute shambles is they're sticking with him AND they're offering him a new contract. So when they do inevitably sack him halfway through next season the pay-out will be much bigger than if they did it now. I don't know why clubs of the size of Man U don't just give their managers 12 month rolling contracts, it's unlikely they will ever be poached and when it comes to sacking them the payment would only then ever be a years salary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here