Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Environmentalists should target shops

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Just occurred to me today how much heat (and air conditioning in the summer) is wasted by shops keeping their doors open at all times (when the shop is open, anyway!).

We're all being battered from these crazy "green" types from every angle, but I can never recall this particular issue being metioned.

In the "old days" shops would have their doors closed in the winter to conserve the heat. Not now. Most shops have their doors wide open with heat pouring out onto the street.

So how much electricity is being generated (or gas being used) to heat the high streets of England?

So leave the rest of us alone to carry on doing our little bit of polluting and target the real villains.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
goldstone said:
Just occurred to me today how much heat (and air conditioning in the summer) is wasted by shops keeping their doors open at all times (when the shop is open, anyway!).

We're all being battered from these crazy "green" types from every angle, but I can never recall this particular issue being metioned.

In the "old days" shops would have their doors closed in the winter to conserve the heat. Not now. Most shops have their doors wide open with heat pouring out onto the street.

So how much electricity is being generated (or gas being used) to heat the high streets of England?

So leave the rest of us alone to carry on doing our little bit of polluting and target the real villains.

I've often thought this.

Larger shops should have revolving doors.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
M&S are aiming to invest £200m over the next 5 years to make the company carbon neutral. A very brave step which should be applauded.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6261939.stm

"So leave the rest of us alone to carry on doing our little bit of polluting and target the real villains."

Wrong. We are all in this together and noone should be left alone.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It always amazes me how the streets and office blocks are lit up like Christmas trees on a night....why?

By all means keep then lit when cleaners are in, but then switch the lights off.

You look at canary Wharf...how much electricity is that place burning?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Dave the Gaffer said:
It always amazes me how the streets and office blocks are lit up like Christmas trees on a night....why?

By all means keep then lit when cleaners are in, but then switch the lights off.

You look at canary Wharf...how much electricity is that place burning?

Lots of these places are 24 hours though, like ours. I'm sure some savings could be made. Light pollution is a bit problem though, most street lights show from above which is generally wasted energy.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Don't most of them have air curtains that blow down in front of the doorway thus preventing the escape of heat from the building?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here