Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Enock Mwepu (Retired 10/10/2022)

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Didn’t even know we had an under 9’s team.
Is that the lowest age?
Does the club have scouts at under 7 and 8 games in Sussex then to pick out the decent kids ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Under 9s coach ? 😂

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I may be slaughtered for saying this but, I was told in November by someone quite closely involved with a senior player that Enoch retirement from playing may not be as permanent as first thought.
The time scale of a season out, was mentioned, then, due to medical advances/ further investigation, a return to playing could be possible.
I guess that if a device such as that fitted to Christian Eriksen and others could have solved Mwepu's problem it would have been done - I'm sure the medical experts would have done that if possible, and know why it wasnt suitable for him.
What we really don't know is just how much 'taking it easy' he has to do. Playing football at the highest level is obviously a no-no - but can he still play sports at a recreational level? Or perhaps as a player coach with the U18s/U21s? That would be good (and we might even get a bit of joy in the bloody Papa John's Trophy!)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I guess that if a device such as that fitted to Christian Eriksen and others could have solved Mwepu's problem it would have been done - I'm sure the medical experts would have done that if possible, and know why it wasnt suitable for him.
What we really don't know is just how much 'taking it easy' he has to do. Playing football at the highest level is obviously a no-no - but can he still play sports at a recreational level? Or perhaps as a player coach with the U18s/U21s? That would be good (and we might even get a bit of joy in the bloody Papa John's Trophy!)
If its too dangerous to play in the first team it is too dangerous to play U21 football as well.
Hopefully the bloke can play some park football or something though and isn't hampered by this heart problem in normal life.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If its too dangerous to play in the first team it is too dangerous to play U21 football as well.
Hopefully the bloke can play some park football or something though and isn't hampered by this heart problem in normal life.
Thanks for your expert medical opinion!

Agree with your second sentence though.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't need to be a medical expert to figure out that if a doctor says "it is too dangerous to play professional football", it includes professional football.
So you know exactly what the doctors said? Neither of us have any knowledge as to how much physical exertion he's allowed to do - or not. Besides, both our player-coaches so far have not been physically able to play PL football any longer and had retired from doing that - but were still able to have a role on the field with the U21s.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So you know exactly what the doctors said? Neither of us have any knowledge as to how much physical exertion he's allowed to do - or not. Besides, both our player-coaches so far have not been physically able to play PL football any longer and had retired from doing that - but were still able to have a role on the field with the U21s.
No I don't know exactly what they said but to put it straight: if you have a heart condition that might kill you off if you play professional football, you're not supposed to play professional football in the U21s or anywhere else for that matter. Not like its not exhausting or demanding to play at that level. It is just very, very basic common sense.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No I don't know exactly what they said but to put it straight: if you have a heart condition that might kill you off if you play professional football, you're not supposed to play professional football in the U21s or anywhere else for that matter. Not like its not exhausting or demanding to play at that level. It is just very, very basic common sense.
OK, carry on. You've decided.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
What a wonderful gesture by the Albion to offer Enock the opportunity of coaching the youngsters. I would imagine that this is a first step in a coaching career with a view to progression through the ranks. Regardless of the outcome of this appointment it shows that we look after our own when misfortune strikes. I wonder if other clubs possess this generous and caring attitude?

Proud to be an Albion fan. :bowdown:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Under 9s coach. Absolutely love that. The kids will love him I'm sure.
I wonder what an under 9s coach gets paid ?

I guess he got his millions in payouts so he does this role for 40k a year probably half what dunk earns in a week.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wonder what an under 9s coach gets paid ?

I guess he got his millions in payouts so he does this role for 40k a year probably half what dunk earns in a week.
If he’s getting 40k a year I reckon a fair few of the other coaches at the academy might be a bit upset !

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Neither of the player coaches at under 21 level had retired from PL football as both were named in the PL squad. Obviously neither would have been used unless in an absolute emergency but it’s wrong to say they’d retired.

There is absolutely no way Mwepu would be able to fulfil a player coach role at U21s level if he’s been told to retire from professional football for medical reasons. The strain and demands on the body training and playing at that level is no different to playing Premier League football really.

The U9 coaching role means he’ll probably be training them once or twice a week for a couple of hours and most of it will be a watching brief with occasional demonstrations done as a walk through, he won’t be chasing super fit teenagers around a pitch for an hour or two a day, the impact on his body will be minimal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here