Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Enock Mwepu (Retired 10/10/2022)

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How do you reckon we pronounce his last name?

Mer-wep-ooh?
or maybe
Mmm-wep-ooh?
Or his first name ...........

The presenter on SSN was pronouncing it 'Ennock' instead on 'Eenock' earlier. Was she right? Is 'Ennock' the way it's pronounced in Zambia, or was she just being ignorant, never having heard of 'Enoch' before?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Or his first name ...........

The presenter on SSN was pronouncing it 'Ennock' instead on 'Eenock' earlier. Was she right? Is 'Ennock' the way it's pronounced in Zambia, or was she just being ignorant, never having heard of 'Enoch' before?
Well, there was a (in)famous Enoch that they may not have wanted it to sound like… :D

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, there was a (in)famous Enoch that they may not have wanted it to sound like… :D

I don't think they were positioning themselves to avoid their pronunciation offending any NSC sensitivities ..........................!

Besides, there are other Enochs available. My question still stands. Ennock or Eenock?

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In fairness Kenneth Kaunda was incredibly complimentary about the signing of Mike Trusson.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Another Arsenal piece from a few months back, being linked with him. Does give you a breakdown from an Austrian footy journo about what we can maybe expect.

Would love to see him with Biss but is he a replacement?
Start 1:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxIkWxBtth4

Interesting video. He honestly sounds a lot more like Bissouma than I initially thought.

Funny seeing the Arsenal fans in the chat talking about Bissouma, Lamptey, Buendia and Mwepu. Three of those players they definitely aren't getting. And even Bissouma is looking less likely.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Instead of playing two deep midfielders in a 3-4-2-1 this is making me hope we’ll often play him right centre mid and Moder left centre mid then have Bissouma alone as the deeper player. If we need to it sounds like Mwepu could drop deeper alongside Biss when needed but I haven’t liked Moder doing that job. He’s better shifted forward than back. I still think Caicedo will be the Bissouma replacement if one is needed (hopefully medium term not short term after all if we really do finish 10-12 this year Bissouma can hopefully be claimed a key reason and his value increase) while Lallana can split time with Moder or Mwepu.

We played Gross in true central midfield too often last season and he needs to be one of the 2 floating around the striker rather than a more solid midfield role. Much like Trossard or MacAllister. A midfield triangle with one deep not two might mean when we need him on the field he has more positions he suits even if there’s less of the exact ‘Trossard or MacAllister role’. Afterall Potterball the positions are pretty flex anyway and to play ‘one’ you have to be comfortable in two or three traditional locations of the field but tend to maintain one role/style within the side.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Basically Mwepu can be the midfielder to shift back and forth as the midfield triangle inverts meaning Moder, Lallana or especially Gross doesn’t have to be able to drop deep. He also compliments Moder by favouring right side as opposed to left.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Naylor says this about every single signing we make though

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

He does - except when we sign someone who IS our record signing.

The club have previously reported when they have broken the record transfer fee; I have no idea why you think they are suddenly putting out false information? :shrug:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He was also an international centre midfielder.

Brighton have almost always replaced like for like. Lamptey and Veltman came in so Montoya and Greyhound left. Murray couldn't do it any more so Maupay came in. Knockaert out / Trossard in. It's not a hard and fast rule but it's an almost always. You could, of course, argue Moder effectively replaced Propper but if that's the case it makes it almost inevitable that Biss will leave this window.

It is common knowledge that Albion want to reduce the size of the squad, so I'm pretty sure we won't be replacing like-for-like this time around.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
It is common knowledge that Albion want to reduce the size of the squad, so I'm pretty sure we won't be replacing like-for-like this time around.

We have already got rid of propper, Bernardo sand izqueirdo.

Just Duffy, locadia and ali J left!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

And also the list above , apart from lamptey and Montoya , it’s not like for like at all

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
He does - except when we sign someone who IS our record signing.

The club have previously reported when they have broken the record transfer fee; I have no idea why you think they are suddenly putting out false information? :shrug:

I don't know why the club do this with virtually every signing but they do and have done for years now, it's not sudden. It's boring. Perhaps to ease pressure on the player/manager in case they flop? If it's not Naylor it's the Argus.

I agree it seems unlikely the fee is more than £20m...but as cheap as £11m? That also seems very unlikely.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Another Arsenal piece from a few months back, being linked with him. Does give you a breakdown from an Austrian footy journo about what we can maybe expect.

Would love to see him with Biss but is he a replacement?
Start 1:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxIkWxBtth4

Thanks for posting this. Really in depth.

I was watching Citeh’s £63m man Rodri last night for Spain and I thought f*** that, Bissouma is actually a level up on that fella. I’m convinced that Tony has already accepted a deal for Biss (from Citeh, Utd or Liverpool) with an agreed announcement date of mid-July giving us time to find his replacement without being blackmailed by the selling club because they know we are desperate to fill Yves’ hole.

This signing will go a long way to healing the pain of Biss’ departure (along with the £50m+ of course).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Propper was in the 25 man EPL squad last season, was he not? Number 14 as I recall.

We will have a 25 man EPL squad next season, will we not? Which Mwepu will be in. So he's replacing someone......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here