Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English Teams Fielding Weakened Teams in Europe

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With Spurs they're in a final on Sunday and are in the relegation scrap so they'd be mad to risk 1st XI players in the match tonight.

I don't think Harry Redknapp thinks the UEFA Cup is bollocks because it isn't - for example AC Milan are clearly better than Panathinaikos - but he's extremely pragmatic and winning the League Cup and keeping Spurs up would constitute a successful season for him and Spurs from where they were after 8 matches.

As for Villa, it's ALL about Champions League qualification and to have any real chance they need to be totally focused on that.

Bolton is the one that I find strange, but when managers are incentivised to keep a club in the Prem they may personally pursue that aim to the exclusion of other competitons.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Spot on. Another FANTASTIC post from Pavilionaire. :clap:

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
I can totally see why we're doing it. It's not's just because we're in a relegation battle, but we have a Carling Cup final Sunday! Which is are only route into Europe for next year.

What's the point trying to get into Europe next year if you are just going to stop trying in the last 16?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Who said anything about not trying? Not me. Nor the manager, or the players. Also the bigger name players are more likely to come to a club who are playing European Football, aren't they? So straight away being in the UEFA Cup is good for the long term. And if we stay up, and beat Man United I will be more than happy with that from now, as Pavilionaire said. Then if we can pull our finger out next season and are doing better in the league, we can then start playing the best XI every game.

To ask another hypothetical question. Would people rather see Brighton win the Uefa Cup, or finish 4th in the Premiership?

Win the UEFA Cup.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
To ask another hypothetical question. Would people rather see Brighton win the Uefa Cup, or finish 4th in the Premiership?

Either would be amazing, but I think the UEFA cup would (just) edge it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here