Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English .....second language?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
FYI, Welsh was spoken hundreds and hundreds of years before the English language was invented.

So we were here first! Maybe the English should think about adopting THEIR own language eh?
English is widely spoken all over the world
welsh is spoken by SOME of the welsh

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I can see where some of them are coming from. Imagine if the european union evolves into the united states of europe and we're all forced to learn French as our primary language.

Would you be happy? Would you honestly take the attitude 'well, we're all citizens of the US of E, we should speak French. Forget this English nonsense...'?

no because English is spoken by most of the nations of the world whereas welsh.......or french

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
no because English is spoken by most of the nations of the world whereas welsh.......or french

But english is one of the most ridiculous languages on the planet.

We should be discouraging it and all its stupid rules and words, not encouraging it.

know
no

toe
tow

here
hear

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
But english is one of the most ridiculous languages on the planet.

We should be discouraging it and all its stupid rules and words, not encouraging it.

know
no

toe
tow

here
hear

Yeah, because English is the only language with words that sound the same, or has strange grammar rules.

The whole world should learn Esperanto.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think the whole world should be forced to learn pig latin.

or

Iay ink-thay he-tay hole-way orld-way ould-shay e-bay orced-bay o-tay earn-lay ig-pay atin-lay

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
A couple of years ago I was travelling up to Snowdonia and I stopped for fuel at a real old fashioned petrol station, when I went in to pay, the staff and a couple of customers were all speaking Welsh, once they realised I was English they started speaking English to each other which I thought was very polite.

PS one of my friends is Welsh and works as a nurse in Cardiff (poor girl), she is fluent in Welsh but she say she hardly ever has to speak it !!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can understand why the Welsh Government would want to keep thier language. But it does seem to be a bit of a waste of time on an international level.

You might say that but something a lot of my mainland european friends have said is that having learnt two languages......learning subsequent languages is a lot easier. Most of them can speak German and English as standard but third and fourth languages come very quickly to them.

Conversely I am learning German but find I am also learning a lot more about my first language as well. I guess two languages makes you more informed about language was a whole?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
FYI, Welsh was spoken hundreds and hundreds of years before the English language was invented.

So we were here first! Maybe the English should think about adopting THEIR own language eh?
yes, in fact england is known as the " lost lands " in welsh, we came , we saw, we conquered you, get over it druid !!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think the whole world should be forced to learn pig latin.

or

Iay ink-thay he-tay hole-way orld-way ould-shay e-bay orced-bay o-tay earn-lay ig-pay atin-lay

hen-way i-ay as-way a-ay id-kay e-way alled-cay hat-tay ack-bay lang-say, otn-ay ig-pay atin-lay!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't see the problem myself, granted I can't speak a word of it, but I think it would be very sad if minority languages like Welsh were allowed to die out.

You say it's not useful- I accept that may be the case in terms of international business etc, but plenty of people in North and mid Wales speak it in everyday life- I've got three mates who speak only Welsh when they go home to see their families.

I'd love to be able to speak other languages fluently, whether French, Spanish, Arabic or Welsh. Non English speakers usually love it when people make an effort to speak to them in their language, and even if it was of little practical use on a daily basis, I'd be more than happy to pick up a few words of Welsh if I was going there. Just to be sociable, nothing wrong with that.

Besides- can you imagine how stroppy they'd get if the Government told them they couldn't make it compulsory in their schools? Uptake of Welsh classes would rocket, just to prove a point :lolol:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
A couple of years ago I was travelling up to Snowdonia and I stopped for fuel at a real old fashioned petrol station, when I went in to pay, the staff and a couple of customers were all speaking Welsh, once they realised I was English they started speaking English to each other which I thought was very polite.

PS one of my friends is Welsh and works as a nurse in Cardiff (poor girl), she is fluent in Welsh but she say she hardly ever has to speak it !!

I had the opposite experience to that a good few years ago. I walked into a shop with my brother in Mid Wales. The people there were talking in English yet once they heard our accents they started speaking Welsh !

As far as I'm concerned Welsh schools can teach whatever they want just as long as don't expect English tax payers to subsidize it. I wonder if Scottish and Northern Irish schools want to teach their pupils Gaelic ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

See, you are already fighting the idea. You don't want to lose your native language, neither do the welsh.

At one time latin was the most widely spoken language.

Take my initial question and replace french with 'Mandarin/Chinese', since that is the most widely spoken language in the world, in the United States of Europe we recognise America is falling and China is becoming the bigger superpower and we want to be able to work with them, and to be fair to every country in the U.S.E. (everyone has to learn a new language, rather than just those that don't speak English) the national langue will be Chinese.

Will you willingly give up the English language now your argument about the popularity of it no longer applies?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here