Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English counties with 1 or no football league clubs

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: English counties with 1 or no football league clubs

Grendel said:
My point exactly. So Sussex does still have a football team.

Correct Brighton and Hove is just a admin thing. It still remains in the Ceremonial County of East Sussex. But according to Wikipedia it is in the Historic County of Sussex (Classing Admin, Cere and Historic County with each place). Agree with Thimble Keegan Sussex is one County to me.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
LANGDON SEAGULL said:
Isle of Wight has none

Cambridgeshire - has Peterborough

Suffolk and Norfolk

Northumberland has none

Buckinghamshire has just Wycombe

Suffolk has Ipswich and Norfolk has Norwich. Northumberlad has Newcastle I think you'll find. Cumbria has just Carlisle. The counterfeit Cockneys at Selhurst are actually in London but their local council is Croydon which is actually in Surrey.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
So Gloucestershire only has one (Cheltenham) and Somerset only has one (Yeovil) so where do Bristol City and Bristol Rovers fit in? The county of Avon has long been disbanded so based on geograhpy City is in Somerset and Rovers is in Gloucesterhsire !!

Yoda

English & European
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: English counties with 1 or no football league clubs

Strike said:
Correct Brighton and Hove is just a admin thing. It still remains in the Ceremonial County of East Sussex.

If that's the case, how come you don't see the sign for East Sussex on the A27 until you get to Falmer, and West Sussex going the other way until you get to near the Southwick Hill tunnel? ???

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Seagull over NZ said:
So Gloucestershire only has one (Cheltenham) and Somerset only has one (Yeovil) so where do Bristol City and Bristol Rovers fit in? The county of Avon has long been disbanded so based on geograhpy City is in Somerset and Rovers is in Gloucesterhsire !!

gloucestershire play cricket at bristol, so im guessing that is where they come in

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Scotty M said:
gloucestershire play cricket at bristol, so im guessing that is where they come in

Surrey play at the Oval and that is far more North than Selhurst which is in London. Middlesex play at Lords which is definately not in Middlesex.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Avon took the districts of Kingswood and Mangotsfield from the Old county of Gloucestershire. On the demise of Avon, Kingswood and Mangotsfield became part of South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority). The Memorial Stadium where Brizzle Rovers play is just outside of Kingswood, and thus was never and will ever be part of Gloucestershire:hilton:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
where would wrexham come under?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Is Sussex the only Cricket team not named after an actual county ???

Edit: I surpose Yorkshire is the same thinking about it

Last edited:

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
bhaexpress said:
Suffolk has Ipswich and Norfolk has Norwich. Northumberlad has Newcastle I think you'll find. Cumbria has just Carlisle. The counterfeit Cockneys at Selhurst are actually in London but their local council is Croydon which is actually in Surrey.

Newcastle is in Tyne and Wear

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
LANGDON SEAGULL said:
Newcastle is in Tyne and Wear

Which used to be Northumberland, semantics according to a Geordie colleague.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't Middlesbrough come under North Yorkshire, for whoever said that?

I know its on Teeside, but can't remember if that still qualifies as a county in its own right, or was absorbed back into Yorkshire in recent years.

Durham: none.

Hereford & Worcester: one.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: English counties with 1 or no football league clubs

Yoda said:
If that's the case, how come you don't see the sign for East Sussex on the A27 until you get to Falmer, and West Sussex going the other way until you get to near the Southwick Hill tunnel? ???

That is just it, Brighton & Hove now stands alone just as (Greater) Manchester and Liverpool (Merseyside) are no longer a part of Lancashire.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
edna krabappel said:
Don't Middlesbrough come under North Yorkshire, for whoever said that?

I know its on Teeside, but can't remember if that still qualifies as a county in its own right, or was absorbed back into Yorkshire in recent years.

Durham: none.

Hereford & Worcester: one.

Middlesbrough is in Cleveland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here