Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England with ready made excuse for 2012 failure already?

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
England seem set on retaining their Polish base ahead of the 2012 Euros despite the prospect of 3 round trips of several hundred miles to the Ukraine to play their matches. surely it would have made more sense to wait for the draw and then base themselves in the Ukraine? Ready made excuses already? Players were too tired, couldn't recover from the long travelling in time, had no connection with the fans etc etc etc.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Motty summed it up just now, why didnt we have a second base planned for this possiblity.

he also highlighted that we dont win against the Swedes, got schooled last time we played the French and wouldn't fancy our chances against the home nation.

i'm not expecting to progress out the group stage either.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I thought we beat Sweden last time we played. The hoodoo is over.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It was the worst possible group as already I hear people saying they 'expect' England to qualify from it; it's like the previous sixty years have never happened. We're up against one of the hosts, a team we haven't beaten the last five times we've met, and a team we've only beaten once in forty-odd years - and that in a meaningless friendly. But we're England, we invented the game and we've got the best players so it'll be fine the same as it always is.

As it happens I DO think we could well qualify: we'll lose to France, draw with Sweden and win the crunch game against Ukraine. Standard England group performance.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Its all about comfort for the players at the end of day. You can't possibly expect any England player to have anything less than 5 star, they would not be able to cope and it will effect their game. :lolol:

This has always been the problem. While the other teams opt for reasonable, England always have to get the best hotel out of everyone, which must cost a bloody fortune. Drives me mad. Molly coddling, and the wrong press attention in my opinion has not helped England's chances in the past. I forgot what World Cup it was, but England had already planned what route the coach would go once they bought back the World Cup. :facepalm:

And all the WAG crap I think has finally gone now Capello is in charge thank god. The WAG crap in Germany was a joke. The players needed to see their wifes aparantly. ffs we have soldiers on the front line who don't see their wifes or kids for months, bunch of tarts.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
It was the worst possible group as already I hear people saying they 'expect' England to qualify from it; it's like the previous sixty years have never happened. We're up against one of the hosts, a team we haven't beaten the last five times we've met, and a team we've only beaten once in forty-odd years - and that in a meaningless friendly. But we're England, we invented the game and we've got the best players so it'll be fine the same as it always is.

As it happens I DO think we could well qualify: we'll lose to France, draw with Sweden and win the crunch game against Ukraine. Standard England group performance.

Agree with your last comment there. There is NO WAY we are going to win the whole thing, but this group does mean we will have to hit the ground running, although a stumble against France is likely, with possibly a contentious decision, or a late goal seeing them win.

Once upon a time I'd be booking my trip out there, but losing interest more and more in our national "heroes".

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
I don't know how many damp squibs there are available in this world but England are sure to maintain the monopoly on them for Euro 2012.

My prediction is much the same as Brovion's. scrape thru the group stage, get some bare luck in the next round (the opposition just start randomly exploding or such like) then get humiliated in the semi's.

Oh and Brovion. There are no heroes anymore, it's all about the dirty cash.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Oh and Brovion. There are no heroes anymore, it's all about the dirty cash.

England players don't make any extra money for international matches/tournaments, they've been donating their earnings from these games to charity since 2007.

I really don't have a problem with the team being put up in a 5 star hotel and being allowed to see their wives if it has any kind of positive effect on the team morale and performance.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
England players don't make any extra money for international matches/tournaments, they've been donating their earnings from these games to charity since 2007.

I really don't have a problem with the team being put up in a 5 star hotel and being allowed to see their wives if it has any kind of positive effect on the team morale and performance.

Sorry I went off on a tangent, I was making a more general point about society where "celebs" are the new demi gods or heroes. Personally I have never ever regarded a footballer as a hero. Although Sly Stalone was pretty awesome in Escape to Victory. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I agree with you, nobody should have to face the Polish equivalent of a Travelodge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here