Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England - who would you play in goal in the next match?

Who would play in goal against Algeria?

• Rob Green

Votes: 49 46.7%
  • David James

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • Joe Hart

Votes: 31 29.5%

• Total voters

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It was really bad though. Watched the replay over and over again, and there was nothing there to excuse what happened. No bobble, no late swerve, just straight onto the gloves and straight off. Just very bad positioning and technique.

Now, all keepers make mistakes like that, but to do it in a world cup game has got to get into his head. Luckily he only had one shot to save for the rest of the match. If Hart has the temperament to go with his ability then stick him in, otherwise James.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
It was really bad though. Watched the replay over and over again, and there was nothing there to excuse what happened. No bobble, no late swerve, just straight onto the gloves and straight off. Just very bad positioning and technique.

Now, all keepers make mistakes like that, but to do it in a world cup game has got to get into his head. Luckily he only had one shot to save for the rest of the match. If Hart has the temperament to go with his ability then stick him in, otherwise James.

Actually, it does bounce up about a foot away from him.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
All very well castigating Green on here (we forget Heskey can't hit a barn door!), but surely the problem is that all the time we scrape around the bottom half of the Premiershite looking for a 'worthy' (English) 'keeper, we're going to struggle.
They're all three much of a muchness, nothing to write home about and, with the exception of Hart, having attempted to stave off relegation (James having failed).
Yes it was a catastrophic error, but I say stick with the lad, worry a bit more about the other end of the pitch! Had the decent chances been tucked away we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3548629 said:
Thing is, you drop Green now and that's his confidence shattered forever.

Capello is ruthless but I don't think he could wreck a career like that.

f*** Green

I want the best for England, not Green.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Does anyone realise that before the mistake Rob Green has a goal kick which was also wasted, thats the annoying thing. However I don't see how Dempsey even managed to get the shot off in the first place with no defence closing down.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Gone for Hart.

Would have been my goalie from the start.

Nothing to do with the goal - all players make errors,goalies ones are more obvious.(Heskey should have scored,SWP should have scored.) Just think James is too old and Hart is now our best keeper.

bha_28

Jun 13, 2010
Dulverton, Somerset
Joe Hart should be played next, however i dont think it will be a good idea to just drop Green for one little mistake because its not going to make him any better, but Hart should have started, even if he isnt as experienced.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is Green's self-confidence our concern? We are trying to win the world cup. We have, hopefully, six more matches. This was a major cock up (it was on a globally televised match, in the biggest football competition in the world, resulted in a goal that cost us points, and has made topping a group most experts expected us to walk trickier than it should be).

Is six games going to be enough for him to get over it? Don't we need him to be over it right now? I don't want a goalkeeper in the final who is concerned about screwing up every time the ball is played back to him.

Having said that, what sort of message will dropping him send to Joe Hart (who I would have started)? Make a mistake and you're dropped! Won't that put him under as much pressure as Green will be putting himself under?

James would probably not feel that pressure cause of his seniority, perhaps feeling like the guy capello comes back to because the others aren't up to it, and so won't be concerned about what making a mistake would lead to, but, he is generally prone to mistakes anyway, just because that's what you get with him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here