Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England vs Saffers Second ODI @ Trent Bridge

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Matt Prior has equalled the England record of six catches in an innings...level with Alec Stewart against Zimbabwe, at Old Trafford, in 2000

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Marvellous.

What a difference it makes having Harmison and Flintoff in that attack. Brilliant effort from Broad obviously but the two big guns really seem to give us an edge.

I think it's a bit much to give the credit to Harmison and Flintoff, Chappers. Broad didn't just bowl well, he knocked out their entire top order!

In fact what I think makes a difference for England is the fact that they have Broad and Anderson, two genuine opening bowlers, to open the bowling, meaning that they can keep Harmison and Flintoff for first and second change. There certainly aren't many other international teams that can do that with bowlers of the calibre of those two.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oh I'm not just talking about now but in general, your have kind of made my point there. There was a lot of pressure on our opening bowlers when Harmy and Flintoff weren't around becuase there wouldn't be much to follow. Keeping Flintoff and Harmison back means the openers aren't under that pressure and can bowl more naturally.

Ah okay. In that case we agree! :thumbsup:

I think previously there was an over-reliance on bits-and-pieces players to contribute. For example going in with three pace bowlers, one spinner and 2/3 bits-and-pieces players. If the spinner gets whacked out of the attack after 4/5 overs (as happened to Monty on a few of occassions, and Swann occasionally), suddenly the part-timers have to bowl a minimum of 15 overs between them, while your fast bowlers also have to bowl their full allocation. Now, with 4 pace bowlers and 4 part-timers (although I would argue that Bopara, Collingwood and Patel could all, if required, bowl a full allocation), Pietersen has a lot more options to rotate his bowling. He also seems far more willing to do so than Vaughan was; Vaughan would experiment with maybe a couple of overs from a part-timer, but generally Collingwood got through at least 7 overs a match, every match.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Ah okay. In that case we agree! :thumbsup:

I think previously there was an over-reliance on bits-and-pieces players to contribute. For example going in with three pace bowlers, one spinner and 2/3 bits-and-pieces players. If the spinner gets whacked out of the attack after 4/5 overs (as happened to Monty on a few of occassions, and Swann occasionally), suddenly the part-timers have to bowl a minimum of 15 overs between them, while your fast bowlers also have to bowl their full allocation. Now, with 4 pace bowlers and 4 part-timers (although I would argue that Bopara, Collingwood and Patel could all, if required, bowl a full allocation), Pietersen has a lot more options to rotate his bowling. He also seems far more willing to do so than Vaughan was; Vaughan would experiment with maybe a couple of overs from a part-timer, but generally Collingwood got through at least 7 overs a match, every match.

What about our very own Skywalker?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
What odds can you get on a SA win?
Worth a couple of quid maybe!

If your giving a couple of quid away why not just give it to me, you certainly wont get it back from a bookie.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think Matty has his eye on the Man Of The Match award.... if he can post 60 of the 80 odd needed he must have a shout after 6 catches.. one a blinder

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He needs a fifty to stand a chance, I'd be surprised if Broad didnt get it

I think you are right.. he's slowed up a bit and won't get enough to tip the balance..the extras they have given us are only one short of their top score !

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Very critical on the Five live reports accusing S.A. of having one eye on their watches checking they are going to be on time for their flights home next week and scathing bearing in mind that tickets are 60 pound.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Just seen the little bit they showed on news at ten, great catch by Prior for Smith's wicket (I think). Why the chuff are the highlights not on Five until bloody midnight!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here