Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] England vs. New Zealand - RWC Semi-Final

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, it maybe easier for them to do so however they would still have the same attitude even if this wasn’t the case.

Respect in rugby is essential.
1. Respect the game
2. Respect the ref
3. Respect the opposition
4. Respect for your yourself and team mates.
Thanks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The thing is - you have to win AND leave enough gas in tank to win the Final. But Eddie Jones knows that.
Although no doubt he knows that, how do you think that would have affected our players today? Surely the players had to be 100% focussed on simply winning today, until say 5 minutes to go, by which time it's too late to conserve much.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Although no doubt he knows that, how do you think that would have affected our players today? Surely the players had to be 100% focussed on simply winning today, until say 5 minutes to go, by which time it's too late to conserve much.

That's where trust in the bench comes in, another massive plus point for England today. I had my doubts, but the bench were excellent. I think the Lions experience is really helping us in this tournament , the likes of Kruis and Cole, Lawes, Nowell used to that group collective feel.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's where trust in the bench comes in
So do you think he made subs that were primarily about saving energy for next week, rather than winning yesterday?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So do you think he made subs that were primarily about saving energy for next week, rather than winning yesterday?

How on earth have you come to that conclusion? International rugby is a 22 player game, we are lucky to have players to come on who are just as good as the players they are replacing. The strength in depth England have is fantastic.

I really doubt anything was on Jones’ mind except beating the World Champions

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Are all rugby teams magnanimous after losing, or is it easier for New Zealand given that they won the last two world cups? I reckon England fans and players could be fairly magnanimous if we lost the 2030 World Cup semi-final, having won the WC in 2022 and 2026.

It’s all rugby teams, right down to minis level, each team shakes hands and makes a players tunnel 3 cheers etc, then we go into the clubhouse and have a meal after the game, then we all have a drink together.
Yesterday my team got comprehensively beaten by Belsize Park, there was no animosity towards each other we were respectful and and had a laugh, a drink and a meal together, As captain I hate losing and was pretty fed up, but in rugby, from a young age you are taught to be respectful to your opposition.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How on earth have you come to that conclusion?
Because that's what was eluded to by Pavilionaire. He said 'you have to win AND leave enough gas in tank to win the Final. But Eddie Jones knows that.'

I really doubt anything was on Jones’ mind except beating the World Champions
That's what I was guessing, but if that's the case then Eddie didn't really do anything about leaving enough gas in the tank to win the final.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Yep... particularly Underhill and Tuilagi, and maybe Youngs, three key and effective players.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
So many of the drubbings and battles won in the Guscott/Winterbotham/Underwood era were also complete. Winning for many years in a row (including in the WC) in Paris, and handing out regular drubbings to all the other home nations. Happy days also to be England rugby follower.

Having ad a couple of days to reflect on that performance, to get over the initial euphoria and to reflect on your points, I now realise that ...........I was totally right in my analysis (the most 'complete' England performance). The England in the days of yore were awesome at times and I wouldn't detract from some of those performances (the 'Brain Moore game 'in Paris springs to mind) even if there sometimes was something of the flat-track bully about them.

But

1. This was the ABs ffs.
2. It was an RWC semi-final.
3. I don't think I've ever seen any team dominate the ABs like that.
4. Other than the 'gimme' try, it was a shut-out.
5. The possession stats, the territory stats and the 2 disallowed tries paint a pretty convincing picture.

BUT I'd be (genuinely) interested if you could give me an example of a better England performance.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The victory should come as no surprise though. England have incredible players in every position and the best bench in world rugby.

More of a surprise is how Eddie Jones lost his way with this incredible group of players. They should have been dominating world for years by now.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I’d say those subs were more about the game they were playing than the next one
Then you know nothing about the game.... Tuilagi and Underhill had the ABs on toast... they were amongst our modmst effective players.... they were being protected.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Then you know nothing about the game.... Tuilagi and Underhill had the ABs on toast... they were amongst our modmst effective players.... they were being protected.

Oh I see...well i bow to someone who obviously knows everything about the game ..it was obviously nothing to do with ‘fresh legs’...on account of the enormous amount of work some of those players had got through

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Oh I see...well i bow to someone who obviously knows everything about the game ..it was obviously nothing to do with ‘fresh legs’...on account of the enormous amount of work some of those players had got through
Correct.... fresh legs yes... but protecting the key players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here