Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Vs France

bodo

Jun 8, 2004
The only bonus we may have is that France are not so good in the early stages of a tournament - maybe we could do a Senegal :lolol:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Jimmy Saville said:
I reckon a 1-1 draw.

Almost certainly. Opening group game, both scared of losing, both sides think they'll beat the other two, both sides will qualify.

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
Re: Re: England Vs France

pasty said:
Almost certainly. Opening group game, both scared of losing, both sides think they'll beat the other two, both sides will qualify.

Totally agree both know each other two well cant see either side going out for the win.

hopeful we meet again to decide the cup

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Just put my money where my mouth is. 1-1 with Owen scoring the first goal is 33-1 with Ladbrokes. Beckham to score first is 12-1. Not a bad price considering his scoring record for England, plus he takes the pens.

France are evens. That is a fantastic price

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
France 2:1 England

We lose in controversial circumstances.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'm plumping for a 2-2 draw, can see Scholes having a big game much to the amusement of NSC.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Marshy said:
0-0 if i were a betting man.

Bet on no goalscorer, you still get the 0-0 and also win if the goal(s) that is(are) scored is an own goal since own goals do not count.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
France are OVERRATED.
They've played NOBODY over the last year or so. Look at their qualifying group.

Cyprus
Israel
Slovenia
Malta

100% qualifying record, well whooo f***ing hooo. They have met nobody of any real quality for a couple of years now. They are due a BEATING, and England are just the team to oblige. I'm not saying it'll be easy, but we're gonna do this lot 1-0 or 2-1, and they will just have to SUCK on it. *

*(Disclaimer:Thread to be deleted in the event of it all going horribly wrong).

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
Just got a feeling for England to win 1-0, goal by Gerrard.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Uncle Buck said:
I get the impression you are not a big fan of the national side at times....
I get right behind the side when the games start, but until then I try to be objective. France could put 3 sides out better than ours, that is the fact of the matter. We should still qualify though, and then it's a bit of a lttery depending on how we play...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Simster said:
France could put 3 sides out better than ours, that is the fact of the matter
Sorry Simmo, old boy, but I'll have to wholeheartedly disagree with you there. France are obviously a strong side, but their squad has no more strength in depth than Englands.

Their 1st choice goalkeeper Barthez is little more than a sick joke. Desailly is not the player he used to be. Silvestre was hardly Defender of the Season at Old Trafford was he ? Gallas is reasonable, but hardly world class. Lizarazu and Thuram are their two best defenders by a mile, they are both class admittedly. For us, Bridge, Gary Neville and Ashley Cole are experienced International defenders who rarely let us down. Obviously we have a problem in the centre of defence though, so we're crossing our fingers a bit with King next to Sol, but with the right protection in front of them we can cope. The France defence that has not been properly tested for some time now, and I can see Owen and Rooney asking all sorts of questions, specially of Desailly, who is very, very slow now.

As for their midfield - they have the superstars in Pires, Vieira and Zidane, but outside of that ? Makelele is pretty average, Dacourt isn't even that, and then you're looking at Rothen (who ?) and Pedretti (who ?). Outside of their Holy Trinity, they've got nothing. We've got Beckham, Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard, and some pretty solid backup in Dyer, Hargreaves, Butt and Cole. The midfield battle will define this match, and I certainly think we've got the players to compete with theirs.

Then we come to strikers. First choice for us is Rooney and Owen. For them is Henry and Trezeguet. Henry is exceptional, there is no getting away from that. But given the service, there is plenty of havoc that can be wreaked by our own front two. Back up then ? France have Saha, Marlet and Wiltord - decent enough at club level, but hardly world superstars. Oh, and Govou, whoever he is.
We've got Heskey and Vassell - again, not exactly world class, but like the French back-up, can come in and do a job if needs be (in fact Vassell could be something of a dark horse if needed).

The long and short of it - France's squad is not THAT much stronger than ours, so to say they could put 3 teams out stronger than ours is WAY off the mark. I think they've been built up into some kind of invincible superhuman team. They're not. Get in amongst them, shut them down, kick them around, get them rattled, spoil their rythm, impose ourselves on them, stop them playing. Do that, and we have the weaponry to beat them. Not easy, but we CAN do it.

COME ON.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here