[Cricket] England vs Australia Third Ashes Test - Leeds 22nd-26th August 2019

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Perfect, thanks.

So it's another record, then? [emoji41][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Given the first innings total there may be a few more obscure ones.

I thought Leach may have some records as a bespectacled spinner. But Daniel Vettori may have his grasp firmly on some of those.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I thought Leach may have some records as a bespectacled spinner. But Daniel Vettori may have his grasp firmly on some of those.

'England's win is the first instance of a team winning a Test after being bowled out for less than 70 in their first innings in 131 years of Test cricket. The last time this happened was in the 1880s.'

More here: https://indianexpress.com/article/s...-run-chase-3rd-ashes-test-ben-stokes-5936223/

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have there been many games where a team won with a last wicket partnership (so 4th innings, 11th man) exceeding the team's first innings total (the 2nd innings)?

After the 9th wicket fell, Stokes scored more runs than our first innings. He scored 74 off 42 balls.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Have there been many games where a team won with a last wicket partnership (so 4th innings, 11th man) exceeding the team's first innings total (the 2nd innings)?

After the 9th wicket fell, Stokes scored more runs than our first innings. He scored 74 off 42 balls.

Unlikely. The highest 10th wicket chase was earlier this year. It was only 78. (Sri Lanka v South Africa)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

On Sunday Andrew Samson said it had happened once before but I can't find any record of it (I don't think it was a test match though)

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
On Sunday Andrew Samson said it had happened once before but I can't find any record of it (I don't think it was a test match though)

Can't have been a Test. I can only find two cases of first innings totals lower than 74 with the team winning a match.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

edit: oh Jesus, you meant the last wicket partnership total itself exceeding the first innings total....That is a tough one to find out...

So scrub this one......This year, 1st Test, Sri Lanka tour of South Africa at Durban, Feb 13-16 2019

South Africa
235 & 259

Sri Lanka
191 & 304/9 (85.3 ov)
Sri Lanka won by 1 wicket

(this was a 78 run last wicket partnership to win it, but obviously falls short of the 191 first innings total).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
edit: oh Jesus, you meant the last wicket partnership total itself exceeding the first innings total....
Yes, but also with it being 4th innings (not 3rd & 1st), and also it being a winning partnership. Not sure it's been done before.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yes, but also with it being 4th innings (not 3rd & 1st), and also it being a winning partnership. Not sure it's been done before.

Not just that, but one player in the last wicket partnership scoring more in that partnership than the entire first innings total. I'd be amazed if this has been done before.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
:glare: The Ashes doesn't only refer to an urn, it also refers to the test cricket series we're playing. Losing that series would be losing the Ashes.

Bollocks it does. The team with the Ashes keep them if they draw the next series. We have to win to get them back. Simple Ashes history.

Your ignorance is probably due to lack of 24 hour BBC coverage of cricket for the last 50 years.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bollocks it does. The team with the Ashes keep them if they draw the next series. We have to win to get them back. Simple Ashes history.

Your ignorance is probably due to lack of 24 hour BBC coverage of cricket for the last 50 years.

No, Trig is right. The actual urn stays at Lord's - but the series is also referred to as the Ashes

Never argue with a pedant :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The team with the Ashes keep them if they draw the next series. We have to win to get them back. Simple Ashes history.
I know all of that.

So you think that the test series currently being played between England and Australia is not called the Ashes?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No, Trig is right. The actual urn stays at Lord's - but the series is also referred to as the Ashes

Never argue with a pedant :)

Yawn. 2-2 or 1-1 and the plastic replica urn stays with Australia. He’s not right. I’m the pedant.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I know.
Likewise.

I know wiki isn't always the most accurate, but I'm quite surprised to see that there are only 14 tests won by one wicket. The previous lowest first innings total was SA in 1905-06 with 91. Last (match-winning) partnership was 9.

It's also amusing to see that of those 14, 6 were lost by Australia. Who also lost 3 out of the four closest wins by runs (1, 2 and 3 runs). And also are the only team to lose after enforcing the follow-on: three times!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yawn. 2-2 or 1-1 and the plastic replica urn stays with Australia.
We know. But the test series is also called the Ashes. We can win, lose or draw that.

He’s not right.
I'm always right :lol:
I’m the pedant.
You're an insult to the genuine pretenders on this board.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know wiki isn't always the most accurate, but I'm quite surprised to see that there are only 14 tests won by one wicket.
:eek: That's ridiculous.

It's also amusing to see that of those 14, 6 were lost by Australia.
:lol:
Who also lost 3 out of the four closest wins by runs (1, 2 and 3 runs).
And also are the only team to lose after enforcing the follow-on: three times!

Seeing the Aussies lose is like seeing Palace lose. Cheating ****s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here