Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England versus Honduras unofficial Match Thread

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's also the first major tournament for ages where we've not gone in panicking over an injury or suspension to a vital player, possibly because there aren't so many stars upon whom we're tragically reliant.

It all seems quite relaxed, and the players seem very happy (that's not always been the case in the past). Maybe, just maybe, things are about to click for England at the right time for once. I feel at least that this team won't leave us feeling let down like previous sides have, even if we go out in the group stage. The pride at least seems to be there.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
And this is why I'm failing to get excited about Englands chances for this WC. A team of pretty decent/good players but lets face it none of them are world class are they? and add in the heat and humidity and the pressure and its all set up for 3 games of toil and misery and of failing to take our chances with a probable healthy dose of poor officiating. I cant get remotely excited about this world cup, its corrupt and we are very average.

I sympathise with your pessimism but what do you mean, Corrupt?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
It's also the first major tournament for ages where we've not gone in panicking over an injury or suspension to a vital player, possibly because there aren't so many stars upon whom we're tragically reliant.

It all seems quite relaxed, and the players seem very happy (that's not always been the case in the past). Maybe, just maybe, things are about to click for England at the right time for once. I feel at least that this team won't leave us feeling let down like previous sides have, even if we go out in the group stage. The pride at least seems to be there.

Oh stop being so bloo*y sensible. Just rant and moan far too prematurely like the rest of us. Fall in line or don't bother :)

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
That's three warm up matches and we've seen all the players that are likely to play a part ... and far and away the most exciting times in all three matches was when the so called 'reserves' were on the pitch.

If Roy starts all the group games with his starting XI tonight, I fear we are looking at three 0-0 results.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh stop being so bloo*y sensible. Just rant and moan far too prematurely like the rest of us. Fall in line or don't bother :)

Bahahaha. Alright. Glen Johnson is absolute shithouse.

Pickles

May 5, 2014

You're a little too young for 1990 then?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

longmanofwilmington

Apr 25, 2014
It always amazes me the difference of opinion on football matches, I thought that was pretty abject and worry if we go behind in any of the games in the world cup. The players might be happy but they still don't seem to have the tactical nous to change it up when plan A isn't working.

I've seen more penetration at a micro penis convention.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
There are friendlies and there are friendlies. That was a pretty competitive final world cup warm up game. Not sure why anyone thinks such games always have no bearing on future performance and results.

If we had been spanked 4 nil tonight and say, lost the preceding game, there's little doubt it would impact on the morale and confidence of some players and management & raise the media pressure etc. The group stages are not very forgiving and it's better to perform well and win your warm up games before them.

Just saying.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Not a bad performance and those that played the whole game lasted well in the heat and humidity. Went to the game, my ears are still ringing from the shrieks of a horrible honduran woman sitting behind me. It was my sons first ever football match and, at 19 months, made a lot less noise than she did...Fun day though.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Was at the game. A few points.

1. The weather was shocking. The ref was right to postpone.
2. Joe Hart touched the ball a couple of times
3. Glen Johnson positioning is horrific. I spent most of the time watching him play through my fingers.
4. Cahill and jags were solid.
5. Baines - please play higher up the field like you do for Everton. You also took a beating from the ho durians.
6. Gerrard started well and faded. Henderson passed 100% of the time sideways. Wiltshire added some spark.
7. Welbeck is an athlete, not a footballer.
8. Still trying to figure out which foot lallana is.
9. Barkley in.
Sturridge needs to play quicker.
10. Rooney is a square peg for a round hole.
11. We need to SHOOT to SCORE.
12. The Honduran fans were fantastic.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

3. Glen Johnson positioning is horrific. I spent most of the time watching him play through my fingers.
5. Baines - please play higher up the field like you do for Everton. You also took a beating from the ho durians.
6. Gerrard started well and faded. Henderson passed 100% of the time sideways. Wiltshire added some spark.
9. Barkley in.

So we had a right back with shocking positioning, two solid centre backs, a centre midfielder who only passes sideways, a fear of shooting, an attacking player who doesn't move it quick enough and we're shot shy. This resulted in a draw against unfancied opposition and we may struggle to score in future games.

Sounds horribly, horribly familiar.

aliakbanrafsanjali

Dec 29, 2012
This gamer was all about conditioning the players, too the heat and climate against a similar opposition to some of our W/C fixtures not nessassarily their style but v players used to the climate. In that respect I think we did ok, the timing of the KO was also key. Tactically I not sure Roy was bang on, think would lie to have been able to use Sterling but couldn't. Plus's for me were berkley and Henderson negatives were Rooney and Johnson. Still looking forward to it though and have hope in my heart!

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district

9. Barkley in.

Yep, Wiltshire played well. He's very good at threading the ball through to our attacking players on the edge of the box. IF he stays fit and stays on his feet he could well be one of our leading lights in Brazil. Would start with Barkley over Rooney as well. Rooney might make more of an impact off the bench(read Lua Lua).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here