Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v South Africa Day 5 @ Centurion Park

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Interesting for the selectors. You've got:

a) Butcher - ordinary test record, patchy form in recent tests. Injury prone and on wrong side of 30.

b) Key - the main pretender but had his chance, the odd brilliant innings in a sea of mediocrity, or

c) Pietersen / Bell - lack of international experience.

Against anyone else you'd probably start with Bell, but this is the Ashes. Personally, I like Pietersen and I think he would cope with the Aussie sledging and come out on top.

I'd put Vaughan up to 3, Pietersen 4, Thorpe 5.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
*gulp* Thorpe & Flintoff to save the test then?

20-3 :rolleyes:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Uncle Buck said:
Butcher's average, since he came back into the side as a number 3, stands up. Also he tends to do well against the Aussies.
Well said. I never liked him, but since his recall he has totally justified his place.

england look like they're shutting up shop

need to score at 6.1/over
currently scoring at 1.7/over

England 2nd innings (target: 185 runs from 44 overs) R M B 4 6
ME Trescothick b Ntini 7 67 43 0 0
AJ Strauss c Kallis b Ntini 0 6 2 0 0
RWT Key lbw b Pollock 9 41 34 1 0
*MP Vaughan not out 5 21 1 0
GP Thorpe not out 0 8 0 0
Extras 0
Total (3 wickets, 18 overs) 21

To Bat: A Flintoff, +GO Jones, AF Giles, SP Jones, MJ Hoggard,
SJ Harmison.

FoW: 1-0 (Strauss, 1.2 ov), 2-16 (Key, 11.1 ov),
3-20 (Trescothick, 14.6 ov).

Bowling O M R W
Nel 5 2 10 0
Ntini 7 5 4 2
Pollock 6 3 7 1

Main Scoreboard and Commentary

OVER 27: Nel:0-0-0-0-1-0
30-3 - I want to make it clear that I was critical of South Africa's batting because they have to win this game - England don't. They also had two men well set and with plenty of wickets in the hutch. The loss of Strauss in the second over basically stopped England of having any thoughts about winning.

OVER 26: Hall:0-0-4-0-0-0
29-3 - What's this, a boundary> Sure enough the ball has managed to get over the rope as Vaughan hits a cover drive through a wide open off side field.
There are 18 overs left to play - the two captains can pack it in halfway through the final hour of play.

OVER 25: Nel:0-0-0-0-0-0
25-3 - Thorpe nearly gets done by a full ball for the second time in the Test as one beats his bat but misses the stumps.
At least the scorers are getting an easy afternoon's work just joining the dots together.

OVER 24: Hall:0-0-0-0-0-0
25-3 - England's lack of ambition is one of the reasons why they are in so much trouble here - South Africa have been allowed to settle because they know there is no risk of losing the game - yet another maiden and there's 20 overs to go.

OVER 23: Nel:0-0-0-0-0-0
25-3 - Andree Nel returns and finds the edge of Thorpe's bat only to see the ball fall short of first slip - England are living on the edge here.

OVER 22: Hall:0-1lb-0-0-0-0
25-3 - Andrew Hall comes on for a bowl and nearly gets a wicket in his first over as the ball shoots along the deck and slams into Thorpe's ankles - thankfully for the left-hander the ball is going down the legside.

OVER 21: Smith:0-0-0-0-0-1
24-3 - The Proteas skipper is getting plenty of turn out of this fifth day pitch - he's certainly a player who should be bowling a bit more often and it's interesting to see he's come on before Nicky Boje.

OVER 20: Pollock:0-0-0-0-0-0
23-3 - Those of you who are thinking the rain may come and save England any embarrassment look off the mark - the sun is out and the light is fine so we should get the 24 overs in, if they are needed of course.

OVER 19: Smith:0-0-0-0-0-0
23-3 - Well here's a brave move from the skipper as he brings himself on for a bowl against Thorpe - someone he has already removed this series. Sid would say: "The atmosphere is so tense, if Elvis walked in, with a portion of chips you could hear the vinegar sizzle on them."

OVER 18: Pollock:0-0-0-0-0-1nb-1
23-3 - Pollock is coming bowling around the wicket at Thorpe which is something of a surprise considering he has got him out with the ball that swings back into him already in this series.

OVER 17: Ntini:0-0-0-0-0-0
21-3 - A maiden over from Ntini and there are 27 overs left in the day.

OVER 16: Pollock:0-0-0-0-1-0
21-3 - South Africa appeal loudly for a catch behind the wicket but umpire Bucknor is having none of it and replays show the ball missed Vaughan's bat by a distance.

OVER 15: Ntini:0-0-0-0-0-W
20-3 - WICKET! Trescothick is clean bowled by Ntini and England are three down with 29 overs left to play.
There must now be a few questions over who will bat No.3 in the series against Bangladesh at the start of the summer - do we continue with Key or Butcher or is it time for Bell to be given an extended chance.

OVER 14: Pollock:0-0-0-0-0-0
20-2 - These two at the crease for England have a critical role to play, if they can hang around for a while it takes the pressure of Flintoff and Thorpe who must both be tired after their exertions in this Test already.
Claire is coming up with excuses for not sending pictures - I'm starting to have my doubts that she can be given the in-vision person of the series award.

OVER 13: Ntini:0-0-0-0-0-0
20-2 - Interesting point of note that Graeme Smith had a few words of advice for Michael Vaughan when he came to the crease.
There are 31 overs to go in the day.

OVER 12: Pollock:W-0-0-0-0-4
20-2 - WICKET! Key goes as he's trapped in front by Pollock - England are certainly not going to have a go at winning this game now.
Vaughan gets off a pair with four through backward point - that boundary also takes him past 4,000 Test runs.

OVER 12: Pollock:W-
16-2 - WICKET! Key goes as he's trapped in front by Pollock - England are certainly not going to have a go at winning this game now.

OVER 11: Ntini:0-0-0-0-0-0
16-1 - Ntini has a change of ends as Smith looks for a second breakthrough and it almost comes as a huge appeal goes up against Trescothick for a catch behind, however it appears the ball actually clipped the batters trousers - excellent decision by Mr Dar.
Claire - you're running out of time to get this photo in before the series comes to an end.

OVER 10: Pollock:2-0-0-0-0-0
16-1 - Two from the over as Key looks rock solid in defence. 34 overs now left.

OVER 9: Nel:0-0-0-0-0-3
14-1 - Nel fails to make Key play at too many deliveries in that over which does not please his captain, who looks about as "happy as a penguin in a Microwave." (another Waddell classic)

OVER 8: Pollock:0-0-0-0-0-0
11-1 - Pollock is on but Trescothick appears to gone in to survival mode, who can blame England for not wanting to risk it with the series in their hands.
The afternoon bagpiper is giving the Barmy Army a a few tunes to dance along with only 36 overs left in the series now.

OVER 7: Nel:0-0-0-0-0-0
11-1 - Key survives the over, although it was more by luck than judgement as he accidentally hits the ball when trying to leave it alone - there's also the odd delivery that is staying low but in truth this is still a good batting track, even on day five.

OVER 6: Ntini:0-2-0-0-0-0
11-1 - There are 38 overs left in the day's play - these two are unlikely to have a bash at winning it after losing a wicket so early on in the innings.

OVER 5: Nel:0-0-0-0-0-4
9-1 - Key gets off the mark with a thick-edged four down to the vacant third man boundary - how long will Smith wait before giving Pollock a go when the ball is still fairly new.

OVER 4: Ntini:0-0-0-0-0-2
5-1 - Two from the Ntini over as Tresco leaves most of the deliveries alone.
Ben believes that if South Africa manage to get away without losing this series it will be "a better escape than even Steve McQueen could manage on a motorbike" - Waddell 2004.
40 overs remaining in the day

OVER 3: Nel:3-0-0-0-0-0
3-1 - Trescothick gets off and running with three down the ground with a shot that goes in the air just past Nel's despairing dive.
Some doubt over Kallis' grab to get rid of Strauss as it was unclear if it carried- replays show it looked a clean effort by the all-rounder.

OVER 2: Ntini:0-0-W-0-0-0
0-1 - WICKET! Strauss goes to a controversial catch by Kallis at second slip - that's ruined his average.
I'm well aware that Sid Waddell was the man behind Jossies Giants, he is also the man behind the classic term - there's more needle here than in a knitting factory on a Bank Holiday - need I say more.

OVER 1: Nel:0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0 - So here we go with the final innings of what has been an eventful series. Andre Nel has been handed the new ball and starts with a maiden - it's unclear yet whether England will go for this, I think they may just bat normally and see how it goes for 15 overs or so.

The fall of the sixth wicket and Graeme Smith decides to declare - tea will now be taken with England needing 185 runs to win with a maximum of 44 overs left in the day.:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Oct 20, 2004
Why get yourself excited?

We'll get f***ed by the Aussies in the Ashes as usual, they show us how to play cricket. :glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here