Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v South Africa Day 5 @ Centurion Park

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Looks like the victory is becoming less likely with every over, South Africa now lead by 53.

De Villiers 65*
Kallis 76*

SA 169/2

In other news it has been confirmed that Freddie will fly back after this test and Hoggard and Simon Jones have been added to the one day squad.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

In other news it has been confirmed that Freddie will fly back after this test and Hoggard and Simon Jones have been added to the one day squad.

I do hope that means it is the end for Gough ODI career. Not to a moment to soon IMHO

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'd sooner have the drummer from Def Leppard bowling than Gough. Surely he can't need the money?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
150 lead and almost two sessions ? Should be okay - but we need to bat well and hope the pitch is okay. Based on the SA score - you would think it is okay. And what is the weather like ?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I do hope Smith declares when they reach a 200 lead to give themselves a chance of victory. If they go at 5 an over for the next 15 then that would leave us about 40 overs to get 200. There's no point them batting until they can't lose.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
South Africa have used up 65 overs, going at 4 runs an over. Normally a good effort but, under the circumstances, too slow.

Now they have half a day left, and are only 150 ahead. If they'd gone at 5 an over they would probably lost 4 or 5 more wickets but been up at 210-220 ahead - a far different proposition.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Smith is too defensive as a captain in a situation like this. He should be looking for a positive result to level the series, instead he's watching two good players bat too slowly on a very flat pitch, he needs to tell them to put their feet down.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gibbs was a big wicket, losing him decreased their options. I'm surprised that they haven't cut loose, it's too late now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
42 overs left, a shade under 4 and a half an over to get.

I've got to say I think that it gettable, but I think South Africa have not got enough runs to play with to enable them to set really attacking fields.

4 an over from them wasn't enough.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oooh, exciting chase!!

185 from 44 overs needed. 40 odd from the first 10 without a wicket down and we're game ON!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's what TV commentators would call a "big ask" (has anyone ever heard of a "small ask"??), but if Trescothick bats like he did in the last Test, it just might be possible.

On the other hand the boring South Africans will just bowl wide and stifle any chances.

Still, at least we still win the main prize.

:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here