Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v New Zealand - 1st Test - Lords

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Terrible advert for our Summer Game, it doesn't matter if we lose thisTest, it DOES matter that we were not arsed to try and win it.

EDIT: Root trying to push his Test Average back over 50?

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This is what test cricket really is.

If you think those is dull, just look at some of the immense tedium in the 1950s and 1960s.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Star of the show Ollie Robinson, yes he was a naughty boy re 8 years ago judged by these Woke days but FFS don't leave him out of next test, what good would that do??

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It’s a game of opinions I guess but first priority should be not losing. 273 was always going to be a challenge on this pitch with this team. No point in giving NZ a cheap victory.

Why?

Playing high level professional sport the whole object of the exercise is to beat the other team.

Silverwood is really annoying me with his attitude. Ok for players to clear off to the IPL. Go into the test with a ridiculously weak batting line up. Then be pleased we don’t lose by playing mind numbing cricket?

Really?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It’s a game of opinions I guess but first priority should be not losing. 273 was always going to be a challenge on this pitch with this team. No point in giving NZ a cheap victory.

I have absolutely no doubt that India and New Zealand would have chased such a target - their mindset is to win games. That's why they're competing in the test match championship final this month and why England aren't

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Why?

Playing high level professional sport the whole object of the exercise is to beat the other team.

Silverwood is really annoying me with his attitude. Ok for players to clear off to the IPL. Go into the test with a ridiculously weak batting line up. Then be pleased we don’t lose by playing mind numbing cricket?

Really?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have absolutely no doubt that India and New Zealand would have chased such a target - their mindset is to win games. That's why they're competing in the test match championship final this month and why England aren't

I understand what you are both saying but if they had gone for it and lost cheap wickets and the match they would also have taken a lot of criticism. Sometimes you have to make a judgement basis who is playing.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot

Wise words.

This is a pretty meaningless two test series, not an Ashes decider. There is no dishonour chasing a reachable target and failing, just give it a go!

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I understand what you are both saying but if they had gone for it and lost cheap wickets and the match they would also have taken a lot of criticism. Sometimes you have to make a judgement basis who is playing.

I don't think they would have been criticised at all. They could have shown intent by opening with Pope and Crawley and using Sibley if they needed to shut up shop.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

I'm not sure if you mean that those teams would have attempted to chase that target, or would have succeeded. Scoring at any sort of rate in those conditions, against a quality bowling attack, is extremely difficult. Chasing 270+ in the last innings is extremely difficult in general. You're pretty much relying on somebody in the top 3 coming up with a Greenidge-esque innings to manage it with any sort of time restriction.

The link below is to a list of 270+ scores in the last innings at Lords. There are only 2 wins there, and only 3 of them (the three largest) were scored at the rate England required today.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...score;template=results;type=team;view=innings

I'd have loved England to try and chase the target, but would have fully expected them to lose trying.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Just listening to the closing chat on Sky....they reckon Robinson will be banned...don’t agree..but hey I’m not calling the shots

Impressive debut by him

He wil be banned and rightly so, I guess the question is for how long. Given the right rehabilitation surely a 3/4 match van and warning over his future conduct alongside an awareness course would suffice.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Banned from international cricket, leaving England camp to go back to Sussex. Ridiculous decision

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Was it Alan Wells or Chris Adams who was the most recent Sussex One Test Wonder before Ollie ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here