Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England- The Next Generation

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Although everyone is slaughtering the players- and rightly so. I honestly think that was one of the most talented teams we have had for a long time and that we may not have a team anywhere near as capable as that one for many years now. I can't think of anyone, bar Adam Johnson who looks like they could be a very good player for England in the near future and if a team with the likes of individuals such as Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc can't perform then what hope do we have for the next generation? Or am I just overly depressed?

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Joe Hart
Keiron Gibbs
Jack Rodwell

That Mancienne lad.

Just to name a few.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Although everyone is slaughtering the players- and rightly so. I honestly think that was one of the most talented teams we have had for a long time and that we may not have a team anywhere near as capable as that one for many years now. I can't think of anyone, bar Adam Johnson who looks like they could be a very good player for England in the near future and if a team with the likes of individuals such as Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc can't perform then what hope do we have for the next generation? Or am I just overly depressed?

What makes Gerrard and Lampard so good? They've failed in every international tournament they've been to - which is what, four? They're just not anything special, regardless of the hype. Plenty of decent players coming through.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Our Under 17's won the European Championship this year (in May), beating Spain in the final. There's potential there.

A few names from the Under 18's who have potential -

Ben Amos (Manchester United)
Dan Gosling (Everton)
Danny Rose (Tottenham)
Victor Moses (Wigan)
Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

Not to mention the Under 21's reaching the European Championship final (losing 4-0 to Germany *cough*)

Last edited:

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
What makes Gerrard and Lampard so good? They've failed in every international tournament they've been to - which is what, four? They're just not anything special, regardless of the hype. Plenty of decent players coming through.

They're undeniably very good, they just forever reason do not step up to the plate regularly enough in internationals.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
-Hart-

G. Johnson - Rodwell - Cahill - Gibbs

--Noble -- Huddlestone

Walcott - Wilshire - A. Johnson

--Rooney--

4-2-3-1 (i.e way Brazil are doing it). Start that team for the Euro qualifies and by 2014 the world will be ours.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
-Hart-

--Noble -- Huddlestone

--Rooney--

4-2-3-1 (i.e way Brazil are doing it). Start that team for the Euro qualifies and by 2014 the world will be ours.

Psst. Rodwell is CM.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Psst. Rodwell is CM.

At the moment but most people ( Ferguson and Wenger to name but 2) seem to think he will move back into a very very good central defender.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Zak Ansah, Arsenal youth player and son of tv superstar and ex Albion player Andy Ansah...

The Arsenal fans hate him as he cheered for Man Utd, hopefully we can snap him up on a free! :)

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
-Hart-

--Noble -- Huddlestone

--Rooney--

Thats great in theory but the underlying problem is far more deep rooted than simply changing formation, our players are not tactically or technically astute enough from grass root level up. I as many on here played football as a youngster and I can guarantee most of us played in a rigid 4-4-2. Our under 17's might have won the euro champs but at the age of 16 physical rather than technical prowess is the key and I wouldn't mind guessing that our side had a few "lumps" playing for them, just look at how well African sides do in youth competitions.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
We'll always have a crop of world class players the problem is getting them to compete with the worlds best when it counts. Rooney, arguable our best player has been made to look oridinary this tournament, along with countless others.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Not to mention the Under 21's reaching the European Championship final (losing 4-0 to Germany *cough*)

I wonder how many England players from that U21 side played tonight? And the same for Germany?

Difference in Germany is that they keep devoloping their players after they leave the U21's and most of them start week in week out at club level, does the same happen in England? Doesn't look like it...

(general point not specifically aimed at you Sam)

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Thats great in theory but the underlying problem is far more deep rooted than simply changing formation, our players are not tactically or technically astute enough from grass root level up. I as many on here played football as a youngster and I can guarantee most of us played in a rigid 4-4-2. Our under 17's might have won the euro champs but at the age of 16 physical rather than technical prowess is the key and I wouldn't mind guessing that our side had a few "lumps" playing for them, just look at how well African sides do in youth competitions.

Don't agree, clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd now play different formations on a weekly basis and would imagine that goes down to the youth teams as well. English youth players now have to be better as well because clubs are not afraid to scout the world looking for young talent so our lot have to step up. The current crop of England players are, I think, the last generation of players to have come up from youth systems that have not been heavily influenced by foreign managers. The U17's played some good football as well, not quite Spain style (although we did beat them) but not just the bigger boys knocking the smaller boys off the ball

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
-Hart-

--Noble -- Huddlestone

--Rooney--

................and so the cycle of dissappointment starts again. :lolol::lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here