Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England - Sri Lanka Odi Series

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Theirs a while yet but here are the dates and here are the teams.

25 June One-off T20
28 June 1st ODI
01 July 2nd OD
03 July 3rd ODI
06 July 4th ODI
09 July 5th ODI

Sri Lanka team:

Tillakaratne Dilshan (Capt), Thilina Kandamby (vice-capt), Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardena, Dinesh Chandimal, Jeevan Mendis, Dimuth Karunaratne, Thissara Perera, Lasith Malinga, Nuwan Kulasekera, Suranga Lakmal, Dilhara Fernando, Suraj Randiv, Ajantha Mendis Angelo Mathews, Sanath Jayasuriya

England team:

Alastair Cook (captain), James Anderson, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Stuart Broad, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn, Craig Kieswetter, Eoin Morgan, Samit Patel, Kevin Pietersen, Graeme Swann, Jonathan Trott, Chris Woakes.

Predictions?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Still cant get my head round how Cook didn't make the one day squad in oz yet now captains , hey ho . No prior , good for sussex i suppose , would like to see Luke get a shot at the 20/20 , leaving colly out for patel i presume was a big call , Sri lanka are a cracking one day team should be a good watch ile go with 3-2 to sri lanka

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think leaving Tremlett out's pretty odd, he did well against the Aussie's in the ODIs and just got man of the series

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
I'll go 4-1 Sri Lanka (Malinga will make such a difference, he takes like 5 wickets a game)

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Sri Lanka will win. Our ODI squad looks lightweight compared to theirs

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Looks to be a good game today, much better side out than at Bristol! Also goodbye Sanath Jayasuriya

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The England selectors have got a lot to answer for. It's a poor squad and we're primed for at least another four years of hurt in the one day game.

The balance of the side they've put out today looks rather weird to me.

1) I don't buy Cook playing. I know they like his captaincy skills but I have fears that i) he'll be crap and ii) it'll affect his Test match form.
2) I'm happy to accept Kieswetter as a long-term investment, as long as they stick with him even if he struggles.
3) Trott, 4) Pietersen, 5) Morgan I'm happy with
6) Bell is not a late order slogger. I'd probably play him as an opener in place of Cook. The team only has 5 bowlers (IMHO Trott/Pietersen aren't accurate enough for ODIs), I'd want someone who can at least bowl a couple of overs if required; I'd pick Samit Patel but you could also make a case for Bopara, both of whom are decent sloggers when required.
7) Bresnan is not a number 7. Yes he can get you a useful late 20-30 runs but is unlikely to save many matches (or take them away from the opposition) which is what a good number 7 should do.
8) Happy with Broad - his ODI bowling average is good (a lot better than his Test average) and he can occasionally contribute with the bat (although averages 12!) if required.
9) Swann - happy.
10) Dernbach - don't know much about him, happy to see him given a go. But what's the point in including Finn (a long term prospect) in the squad and not playing him? Either let him go off and play limited overs (even if it's Twenty20) for his county or play him.
11) Anderson - England's best pace bowler, even though he was off form (knackered) in the world cup. Happy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here