Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England Squad

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
So with a couple of months to go before the world cup he's not decided to rip up the squad or the drop Maguire who's not played badly for England? I'm shocked

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
First semi since 1996 and first final since 1966.

But that was partly my point. He has a way of playing and gets in players who suit it, not who are in form.

If you delve a little deeper then you realize we never beat a good team in either of those campaigns. People will point to Germany but in all honesty, that was the worst German side I have seen in 60 years.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Kalvin Phillips has made 1 PL appearance this season, which I think was as a late substitute.

So much for picking in form players.

Southgate is clueless.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
TAA has effectively been left out of the WC squad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/63031198

It makes sense in terms of Southgate’s brand of cautious football. TAA is a supreme creator for club, but Southgate prefers a solid defender such as James. TAA might be ideal to bring on as a sub if England were chasing a game, but Southgate wants to bring home the World Cup with a solid approach.

The positive for players left home … they won’t be victims of the bloodletting if we flop.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I thought TAA was getting hammered in the press this season for his defending, and for a long time questions been asked. While his attacking play is fantastic , he is a right back and part of that job is defending.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm no scouse lover, but surely TAA is a better player than Trippier.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If you delve a little deeper then you realize we never beat a good team in either of those campaigns. People will point to Germany but in all honesty, that was the worst German side I have seen in 60 years.

I think that's bollocks.

The Albion get the same sort of comments, but in reverse. If we beat Man U, or Leic, or West Ham or whoever, it's always they had a bad game, it's never because we played well. With England it's the opposite, if we do well, we just say it's the opposition that are rubbish. We beat some competitive sides in both tournaments and deserved our place in the final.

Do a quick google search of the Germany team we faced in the euros. That is a strong opposition.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I don't understand the who-haa about TAA being omitted, again. Southgate has never fancied him and on the back of a run of defeats and poor performances he's never going to do something wildly out of character (such as put more emphasis on attacking flair over defending). Likewise, he's not going to suddenly change up his central defenders, poor form or not. It's too late to suddenly favour Tomori or White, even though both players are playing regularly and in form and should rightly be hugely disappointed.
I don't see any point getting in a tizz about it, Southgate does as Southgate is, no surprises, ever.

We'll just have to hope he "gets lucky" again and Maguire, Walker, Sterling et al suddenly play themselves into form.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought TAA was getting hammered in the press this season for his defending, and for a long time questions been asked. While his attacking play is fantastic , he is a right back and part of that job is defending.

Next to the quality Matip or Konate he’s won the lot, pushing the world’s second biggest spenders Citeh all the way. In an attacking, deliberately risk-taking formation. Matip and Konate effortlessly cover, it’s the game-plan.

[Depending on Southgate’s formation] next to Maguire, Mings or Stones in a back 4, it’s highly vulnerable. As a RWB with Walker behind who’d be part of a back 3, TAA imho would work, creating and marauding forward. Southgate I think seems to favour Saka there …. he must have fantastic defensive stats.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't understand the who-haa about TAA being omitted, again. Southgate has never fancied him and on the back of a run of defeats and poor performances he's never going to do something wildly out of character (such as put more emphasis on attacking flair over defending). Likewise, he's not going to suddenly change up his central defenders, poor form or not. It's too late to suddenly favour Tomori or White, even though both players are playing regularly and in form and should rightly be hugely disappointed.
I don't see any point getting in a tizz about it, Southgate does as Southgate is, no surprises, ever.

We'll just have to hope he "gets lucky" again and Maguire, Walker, Sterling et al suddenly play themselves into form.

Regarding form for club, Maguire’s has an awful 13 months and is now sidelined by Ten Hag. A similar story for Shaw.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Basically no Plan B then?

Doesn't seem to have, no.

Today he's binned off TAA who may be the best attacking fullback in the world. It looks very much like a "don't lose" squad, rather than a "win" one. But the point remains, in terms of results and progress at major tournaments he's got the best recent record of anyone. It really doesn't matter if we were only playing the Girl Guide Third XI or if another coach would have got a trophy with those squads, the fact is he did better than El Tel in terms of getting to a tournament final at Wembley. The suits were never going to get rid based on that.

I've said it before and will again. We only have talent in a very small number of positions. "Attacking Midfielder" being one and "Right (wing) Back" being another. But we have awful centre backs, his flirtations with 3-4-3 (an attempt at plan B I suppose) have left us short in midfield and we have no one credible on our left. Ergo he plays safety first football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here