Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Squad

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I certainly wouldn't want to meet him in a dark ally, that's for sure, but I've never really rated him as a defender myself

Personally, I think he's probably the most complete defender England have. He is mobile, quicker than you think, he's strong and good in the tackle. Plus he's left footed so adds balance and he does pop up with the occaisonal goal, he was prolific a few years ago. Not a bad thing to have in your side. It's why I would be tempted to play Baines at left back, I don't think he's radically worse than Cole at defending and his set pieces could be a real asset with his left foot.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
Personally, I think he's probably the most complete defender England have. He is mobile, quicker than you think, he's strong and good in the tackle. Plus he's left footed so adds balance and he does pop up with the occaisonal goal, he was prolific a few years ago. Not a bad thing to have in your side. It's why I would be tempted to play Baines at left back, I don't think he's radically worse than Cole at defending and his set pieces could be a real asset with his left foot.

Fair enough, I guess our defensive options are not that great at the moment. Definitely agree with you on Baines though. IMO Cole is very overrated as a defender (and a bit of a tosser...) and I've always liked the way Baines plays.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Liking that and if the defenders develop (alot of flexibility at the back but no stand out player yet) I could see us doing very well in 2 years time and admirably this summer :)

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I wonder if they will cope against Van Persie and the rest

Goalkeeper: Michel Vorm, Sander Boschker, Maarten Stekelenburg

Defender: Andre Ooijer, John Heitinga, Edson Braafheid, Gregory van der Wiel, Khalid Boulahrouz, Joris Mathijsen

Midfielder: Arjen Robben, Ibrahim Afellay, Stijn Schaars, Demy de Zeeuw, Mark van Bommel, Kevin Strootman, Nigel de Jong

Attacking Midfielder: Eljero Elia, Wesley Sneijder, Rafael van der Vaart

Striker: Dirk Kuyt, Luuk de Jong, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Robin van Persie, Ryan Babel

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
----------------- Hart -----------------
Walker --- Dawson --- Lescott --- Baines
--------- Parker ------ Gerrard ---------
Walcott -------- Rooney ------- Downing
-------------- Bent --------------------

That's the way for me at the moment. Wilshere would walk into the team and make it a 3 man midfield. No-one better than Walcott on the right, which is saying an awful lot. I like Danny Sturridge, but I don't like inverting wingers, left footers and right footers are best served on their natural flanks for me. Old fashioned opinion, but one I still maintain. On the plus side, there's not going to be an argument about our best goalkeeper for a decade or so.

Ashley Young? Downing over Ashley Young?

Really?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I disagree with you on this. He isn't ready for the full squad yet. Look at what we've done with Walcott, since 2006. He hasn't been the same player and there is far to much hype over him now. Back on to the subject, I think Pearce has done the right thing and given the younger players a chance. I'm very positive by this and seeing no Terry, Ferdinand or Lampard is even better.

exactly how young do young do you want them bazil ......? mark my words old boy ,mr.oxlade-chamberlain will be the mainstay of the team within 10years ......the kid is quality,i understand if you don't recognise this though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here